• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

GTR

Reaction score

all my OPs are made in Japan, not Luxottica (made in Italy)
only RILEY is made in Italy

Although the Japanese Optec frames are a step above than the "made in Italy" ones, they are still produced to Luxottica standards. If you compare them to pre-Luxottica '90s OP you'll know what I am talking about.

shazeh

Reaction score

What do you think about the size and fit of these? Too big?

(Persol 0649 95/58 54mm)

I dont think they are too big. What I noticed is that people on the styleforum site have a certain viewpoint on things, that 99% of the population out in public doesnt.

mr usneun

Reaction score
So I bought a pair of used sunnys again and they are totally out of shape. Any way a n00b can get them back to normal shape? I tried to heat them successfully but I don't know where to bend them and where not.

banditsarebad

Reaction score
Just signed up to see if anyone knows anything about Knockaround or Reddin sunglasses? Knockaround has been around for a while but a bit too fratty, while Reddin I've been seeing a lot on my newsfeed lately. or any other suggestions for that price range

CalGuy13

Reaction score
Is there a list of very classic, specific models of sunglasses that are still available for sale? I'm looking for models that have been relatively popular for years, to avoid having them look dated in 5 years. Plus, I just really like the "standard" model of things.

The ones I can think of:
AO Eyewear Original Pilot
Ray-Ban Aviator (3025)
Ray-Ban Wayfarer (2140)
Ray-Ban Clubmaster (3016)
Randolph Engineering Aviator
Shuron Escapades
Persol 649

Do others come to mind---especially models made by independent companies?

mike1445

Reaction score
OP O'Malleys - They don't work for everyone (self included) as well as those you already listed but I think they are a classic shape, amber is my top choice but the clear and tortoise look great, too.

Last edited:

mr usneun

Reaction score
Is there a list of very classic, specific models of sunglasses that are still available for sale? I'm looking for models that have been relatively popular for years, to avoid having them look dated in 5 years. Plus, I just really like the "standard" model of things.

The ones I can think of:
Ray-Ban Aviator (3025)
Ray-Ban Wayfarer (2140)
Shuron Escapades
Persol 649

649s already look dated because they got hyped the last year/months.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score

The ones I can think of:
Ray-Ban Aviator (3025)
Ray-Ban Wayfarer (2140)
Shuron Escapades
Persol 649

Cutler and Gross 0734, Cazal 607, Oliver Goldsmith Lord, and Morgenthal Frederics Stealth come to mind. Also, keep in mind that while sunglasses like the RB Wayfarers have been around for a long time, the injection-molded painted on stuff they're making now is nowhere close to the product they were making before. There are plenty of new high-end brands that emulate old styles like that but keep the quality high. They may not have as long of a legacy as other brands, but they do come out with excellent products.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of AM Eyewear?

I like a couple of their styles and the pricing looks reasonable.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

manotas

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anybody have an idea of what brand and/or model of sunglasses this guy is wearing in these pictures? Different model in each picture:

Thanks in advance!

mr usneun

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anybody have an idea of what brand and/or model of sunglasses this guy is wearing in these pictures? Different model in each picture:

Thanks in advance!

I seen the top one recently. it could be barton or OP. not sure.

If those are from Instagram, just hit him up???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads