• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitsupply tuxedo advice - pics attached

markym

Reaction score
After reading post after post here and having limited local options I ended up order a suitsupply tux. Can you please take a look and let me know what you think? I have never worn a tux before. I am a first time poster but I lurk fairly often :)

A few notes -
I don't have a cumberbund yet.
I have a self tie bow but the one I have on here is just the clip on one that came with (I need to learn to tie a bow :).
I will drop about 8 pounds before I need to wear this so the pants will prob fit a bit better.

What do you think about the fit? Any other thoughts? I am a rookie :)

Last edited:

markym

Reaction score
Also, I realize I have to get the pants hemmed sleeves shortened but does the fit look okay otherwise?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also, I realize I have to get the pants hemmed sleeves shortened but does the fit look okay otherwise?

Other than the sleeves and trouser hem, it looks fairly good. Good purchase. Most importantly is it comfortable? Comfort can indicate a lot about fit problems.

markym

Reaction score
Other than the sleeves and trouser hem, it looks fairly good. Good purchase. Most importantly is it comfortable? Comfort can indicate a lot about fit problems.
Yes it feels great. I mean I could use a touch of room on waist and and maybe in the rear/upper legs but I am a regular in the gym and will accomplish that by losing weight versus letting the paints out. Overall I was very pleased/impressed and felt as though I lucked out as I was worried the paint would be very baggy etc.

I need to get a stud set as well (I want something cheap so I am not sure what to get lol).

PS: Nice site and I see your are in Canada so the shipping would work well for me. I'll give you a shot for some shirts in the near future. My Fiance actually lived in Mississauga for 18 months and just returned home (school :)

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes it feels great. I mean I could use a touch of room on waist and and maybe in the rear/upper legs but I am a regular in the gym and will accomplish that by losing weight versus letting the paints out. Overall I was very pleased/impressed and felt as though I lucked out as I was worried the paint would be very baggy etc.

I need to get a stud set as well (I want something cheap so I am not sure what to get lol).

PS: Nice site and I see your are in Canada so the shipping would work well for me. I'll give you a shot for some shirts in the near future. My Fiance actually lived in Mississauga for 18 months and just returned home (school :)

Careful with the gym, as you put on muscle, it can have the reverse affect, but that can be rectified with minimal tailoring as well to a degree.

Thanks for taking a look! We like it here. Nice and quiet :)

Displacement

Reaction score
I realize you're planning on losing some weight before you wear this, so take the commentary with grain of salt. I believe in having things tailored for how you look today, not how you hope to look in 6 months, but you may be more optimistic than I am.

The jacket is too tight in the waist, which is what's causing the ripples in pic 9. The sleeve pitch is also off, which is pretty typical for a Suitsupply suit. Neither is far enough off to warrant changing if you're happy with how it looks.

The trousers, on the other hand, are just way too tight everywhere. They're a mess, and I don't see how you'd be able to fix them because they need a lot more material. Your thighs shouldn't be covered in horizontal creases.

And if you want to learn to tie a bow tie, this is probably the best video to learn with -

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^^ the ripples on the trouser seem to be more from the trousers being overly long rather than being tight. They are bunching up badly, the excess fabric has no where to go but up, which causes the ripples. I could be wrong unless I see them in person though.

markym

Reaction score
I realize you're planning on losing some weight before you wear this, so take the commentary with grain of salt. I believe in having things tailored for how you look today, not how you hope to look in 6 months, but you may be more optimistic than I am.

The jacket is too tight in the waist, which is what's causing the ripples in pic 9. The sleeve pitch is also off, which is pretty typical for a Suitsupply suit. Neither is far enough off to warrant changing if you're happy with how it looks.

The trousers, on the other hand, are just way too tight everywhere. They're a mess, and I don't see how you'd be able to fix them because they need a lot more material. Your thighs shouldn't be covered in horizontal creases.

And if you want to learn to tie a bow tie, this is probably the best video to learn with -

I appreciate the feedback and found it educational (didn't even know what sleeve pitch was).

My body I know very well I shed (and unfortunately gain easily). I like to get to a level of leaness that I can't maintain year round in summer which is when I will be wearing this tuxedo. The jacket does have vents (which are still "tacked" closed in the photos") should I have them closed. Will opening them help with fit/look.

I see what you mean on the pants, you are right they do look bad in the back. Ill try them on again and roll them up carefully so the material isn't as bunched etc. and see if they look better.

I'll check the video out :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads