• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand the sales associates at Suitsupply work on a commission, but with all these photos of ill-fitting suits taken directly at the store it makes me wonder how much the associates actually care about decently fit suits. Thankfully I own enough SS suits to where I no longer really need the advice of a SA but for first time shoppers I'm a bit disappointed at Suitsupply.

Fit is relative to the aesthetic you are trying to achieve. Compare the in store pictures to the in store salesmen and you'll see similarities.

mfridman

Reaction score
I second that. SAs here in Riga all wear suits at least 1 size smaller than they should, and naturally they advise the clients to purchase suits too tight and too short.

qojianhuse

Reaction score
Some of their linen fabrics in particular look nice. Also be warned SuitSupply's site itself is very NSFW.
29.gif

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I went to SS today, and tried various models such as Napoli etc. The one that seemed to fit me best was Washington, surprisingly enough. Initially with Napoli, and Sienna, I found that the shoulder pleating was less of a MTM type style item, and more of a mess. I normally am a 44 but for Napoli and Sienna, the salesperson suggested 46 (a i have a bit of a belly). The Washington they gave me in a 44 however, and it was much better in that size, on the shoulders, and SS sales person (Eli @ Mad Ave, in NY) said that the suit button holes could be extended by an inch, in order to make it fit better.
I know that the rear of the suit looks like there is a bit of pulling, but in general, it seemed to fit rather well for a 44. The pants needs a little bit of work, but looks ok. I quite liked the material, and was pleasantly surprised that it was quite comfortable.

Thoughts welcome

Pants look good from the front, but you need a lot more room in the lower seat area. There is generally not enough fabric to let that part out significantly.

Last edited:

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the same suit! Regarding the fit, I think you need to go size up.

I went to SS today, and tried various models such as Napoli etc. The one that seemed to fit me best was Washington, surprisingly enough. Initially with Napoli, and Sienna, I found that the shoulder pleating was less of a MTM type style item, and more of a mess. I normally am a 44 but for Napoli and Sienna, the salesperson suggested 46 (a i have a bit of a belly). The Washington they gave me in a 44 however, and it was much better in that size, on the shoulders, and SS sales person (Eli @ Mad Ave, in NY) said that the suit button holes could be extended by an inch, in order to make it fit better.
I know that the rear of the suit looks like there is a bit of pulling, but in general, it seemed to fit rather well for a 44. The pants needs a little bit of work, but looks ok. I quite liked the material, and was pleasantly surprised that it was quite comfortable.

Thoughts welcome

ammanati

Reaction score

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second that. SAs here in Riga all wear suits at least 1 size smaller than they should, and naturally they advise the clients to purchase suits too tight and too short.

I somewhat disagree, at least here at the Chicago location. Yes they probably wear suits a size too small but considering most if not all the SAs there fit the Suitsupply prototype of being tall/lanky/skinny they can usually pull off the fitted suits look "better". Yes I'll probably get flammed for that comment.

My point is not every customer of course has the same build as a SS employee so the fact they try to fit customers as such is a bit alarming. I'm 6'0" 170lbs with an athletic build and thankfully a 38R fits well off the rack for all their cuts except the Napoli and York.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I somewhat disagree, at least here at the Chicago location. Yes they probably wear suits a size too small but considering most if not all the SAs there fit the Suitsupply prototype of being tall/lanky/skinny they can usually pull off the fitted suits look "better". Yes I'll probably get flammed for that comment.

My point is not every customer of course has the same build as a SS employee so the fact they try to fit customers as such is a bit alarming. I'm 6'0" 170lbs with an athletic build and thankfully a 38R fits well off the rack for all their cuts except the Napoli and York. 

What do you wear for Napoli and York?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Napoli and York dont fit me well. 38R is fine in the sleeve length but too baggy in the chest and back. 36 fits well everwhere expect the sleeves which are WAY too short. The Havana, Lazio, Hudson, and Washington fit me the best. I only have to take in the waist about an inch and do slight jacket suppression either from the sides or back center seam. I've been eying that Blue Plain Lazio for about a month now but I wish they made a Hudson in that same fabric :(

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does SuitSupply do sales? I will be picking up one of their cotton/linen blend Havana sport coat, and wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something. Prices look good as is anyways.

Also, am i reading the measurements right? The Havana's are actually bigger in S size, compared to R and L sizes? Interesting... :puzzled:

Demean

Reaction score
Hello SF, it's been a while! Here's a quick snap of a Madison. I don't know what's going on at the buttoning point, but it's not usually like that. This is about 5/6 pretty rough wears in.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Does SuitSupply do sales? I will be picking up one of their cotton/linen blend Havana sport coat, and wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something. Prices look good as is anyways.

Also, am i reading the measurements right? The Havana's are actually bigger in S size, compared to R and L sizes? Interesting...
puzzled.gif

Occasionally they do open the outlet where everything is around half-price, but seems to be exclusive to certain European countries. Mind you the stuff they stock on the outlet is a bit out there, stuff that doesn't sell well at full price or sizes which aren't as in demand.
Hello SF, it's been a while! Here's a quick snap of a Madison. I don't know what's going on at the buttoning point, but it's not usually like that. This is about 5/6 pretty rough wears in.

I've been wanting to see a (non-Suitsupply) picture of that cotton/linen Madison for a while, thanks for this, it looks incredible!

MrTopCat

Reaction score
What suit is this? (From the SuSu Tumblr here)

The textured almost salt + pepper fabric almost looks like this Alpaca Washington, though I can't seem to determine a stripe from the image. Can I assume this is unreleased?

I'm not sure which it is, but it's not the alpaca Washington, this is the alpaca Washington:

I know it is listed as grey stripe but the actual image link is: "http://statics.suitsupply.com/image...ashington_P3933_Suitsupply_Online_Store_1.jpg", which means it's probably blue-ish in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads