• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS.: how wide are the Napoli lapels? 3-3.5"?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sent my 44R Napoli back, just received the 42R...

Good.

This is me wearing La Spalla 40R jacket. I asked SA to take picture of my back because that's where I have most problem with OTR suits. From the front this jacket fitted me really well, but from the back, it did not look very good especially the circled area. SA suggested lowering the collar, but I did not think that would solve the problem as the issue was due to tightness not extra material. I don't want to get 42R because then both jacket and pants will be too big. What do you guys think about the fit?

Something like this actually happens for me when I really stand up straight with my square shoulders thrown back. Lowering the collar I think will help with the top wrinkles, but the rest, dunno. Look at it this way, how often will you just be standing there motionless?

Last edited:

fashionnoob

Reaction score
To what extent can I trust the tailors at a SuitSupply location (Chicago, specifically) to get the alterations correct?

The prices for tailoring seem cheap compared to my tailor, and the turnaround time is pretty quick, but I'm curious to know their skill and whether or not the sales associates generally do the pinning correctly. (I would rather my suits not be too tight and have a concern that they gear their tailoring in that direction.)

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To what extent can I trust the tailors at a SuitSupply location (Chicago, specifically) to get the alterations correct?

The prices for tailoring seem cheap compared to my tailor, and the turnaround time is pretty quick, but I'm curious to know their skill and whether or not the sales associates generally do the pinning correctly. (I would rather my suits not be too tight and have a concern that they gear their tailoring in that direction.)

I can't speak to Chicago, but personally, if you have an alterations tailor you trust I would skip the SS tailoring process for anything more than a simple pants hem. You may get lucky (I did on one occasion), but otherwise it's pretty hit or miss (mostly miss) in my experience.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those of you who say that the Napoli thighs are too slim, have you also tried a Lazio? I found that the pants of the Lazio are much trimmer than Napoli in the same size.

(disclosure, I am comparing circa mid year 2012 Napoli with F/W 13 Lazio. Perhaps the cut changed).

svinsvin

Reaction score
Got my La Spalla Blue Check in size 98. It's beautiful and the fabric is amazing – exactly what I've been looking for and the construction is fantastic compared to the price. I actually though La Spalla was skin fused as the half canvas suits from them are, but it's not.

It is pretty much spot in – a part from the arms (my biggest concern), it just needs a little nip in the waist and that's all.

I've tried to show it on photo, but don't think it really shows optimally as you can't perfectly get a sense of the relation between arm width and my arm size (I have rather skinny arms). I apologize for the bad photo quality (my girl friend is using my camera).

General fit if interested:

I'm not sure if it's a keeper due to the arm width (the same reason I sent back a Sienna 98). My tailor can probably take it in a couple of cms (not all the way from the top though), but it's a bit of a gamble given the €699 price.

I would love to hear some suggestions on the arm width as I'm really torn between keeping it due to the perfect fabric or sending it back.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually found a great tailor in the NW burbs of Chicago that I have been going to recently for all my alterations. He's been making bespoke suits in his own local shop for decades so he knows his craft. The next Suitsupply suit I purchase will be sent directly to him. I don't plan on using SS for anymore alterations.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my La Spalla Blue Check in size 98. It's beautiful and the fabric is amazing – exactly what I've been looking for and the construction is fantastic compared to the price. I actually though La Spalla was skin fused as the half canvas suits from them are, but it's not. It is pretty much spot in – a part from the arms (my biggest concern), it just needs a little nip in the waist and that's all. I've tried to show it on photo, but don't think it really shows optimally as you can't perfectly get a sense of the relation between arm width and my arm size (I have rather skinny arms). I apologize for the bad photo quality (my girl friend is using my camera).
LL
I'm not sure if it's a keeper due to the arm width (the same reason I sent back a Sienna 98). My tailor can probably take it in a couple of cms (not all the way from the top though), but it's a bit of a gamble given the €699 price. I would love to hear some suggestions on the arm width as I'm really torn between keeping it due to the perfect fabric or sending it back.
IMO, I see slight pull in the mid section (X crease around the top button). Just wondering how your rear fit looks like. I imagine that you may have rolls around your rear waist area.

svinsvin

Reaction score
IMO, I see slight pull in the mid section (X crease around the top button). Just wondering how your rear fit looks like. I imagine that you may have rolls around your rear waist area.
The back is clean. A slight X-crease in inevitable though, IMO, if you want a slim fitting suit.

Last edited:

Scalable

Reaction score
The back is clean. A slight X-crease in inevitable though, IMO, if you want a slim fitting suit.
There's a difference between flattering slimness and unflattering slimness - the former is not for everyone, unfortunately, as it requires the owner's body to be nicely slim as well. You'll want to get a tailor to let the waist and lower chest (around the bottom half of the lapel) out a little or lose a few kilos, since people will see the suit pulling unattractively at the seams.

The sleeve width is fine. Make sure to get the sleeve length right.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, the waist and chest look terrible in that picture. Way too small. Show us a full picture or a full length mirror selfie if you want better advice. But judging from that picture alone it looks like you'll have to size up, as it's impossible to let out the chest. The sleeves look perfectly fine, you certainly don't want to slim them as the silhouette will become a bit too feminine.

Here are two recent pictures of myself that show how a chest and waist are supposed to fit. No X-mark, no pulling, no creases. It should feel very comfortable, like you're not wearing anything at all.

Last edited:

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Got my La Spalla Blue Check in size 98. It's beautiful and the fabric is amazing – exactly what I've been looking for and the construction is fantastic compared to the price. I actually though La Spalla was skin fused as the half canvas suits from them are, but it's not.

It is pretty much spot in – a part from the arms (my biggest concern), it just needs a little nip in the waist and that's all.

I've tried to show it on photo, but don't think it really shows optimally as you can't perfectly get a sense of the relation between arm width and my arm size (I have rather skinny arms). I apologize for the bad photo quality (my girl friend is using my camera).

I'm not sure if it's a keeper due to the arm width (the same reason I sent back a Sienna 98). My tailor can probably take it in a couple of cms (not all the way from the top though), but it's a bit of a gamble given the €699 price.

I would love to hear some suggestions on the arm width as I'm really torn between keeping it due to the perfect fabric or sending it back.

Arm width seems fine.

The slight X is pretty inevitable for a slim fitting suit as you said, but a nip in the waist may increase it, so make sure to take your time when altering it.

I have a Washington myself, and before tailoring it fit pretty nicely, but displayed flat sides, there was a slight X which didn't bother me at all.

After tailoring, the X was still the same but I was left with a beautiful V or hourglass shape, rather than having flat sides.

I think you must be pretty slim for this to work though, as I am just a mere 5'7/50kg (170cm/110lbs).

EDIT: Monkeyface's fits are a great example of how your suit should fit considering your build.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads