• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monkeynuts

Reaction score
is my sarcasm meter broken? please elaborate.

i agree the fit of the shoulders is good and the length is appropriate, slight pulling, and as he said sleeves too long, but it looks pretty good OTR.

GradSchooler

Reaction score

i have nothing against slim lapels per se, but not when a guy's front chest measurement is almost 18 or 19"  

I think this broad-chested gentleman in slim lapels would disagree:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, fact is Havana lapels are pretty standard width (around 3" from memory, I haven't calculated), but laying against my 240lbs carcass they appear smaller. Thank you for your honesty.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PiCcolocV why do you say the proportions are off?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PiCcolocV why do you say the proportions are off?

I believe what he means is, as the size of the suit jacket goes up the width/size of the lapels, pockets, etc should also go up. 3 inch lapels on a 6 foot 175lb man will look "proportional" but those same lapels on a 240lbs man will look a bit different as you mentioned. While I feel SS really should accommodate various sized lapels of the same model/cut sizes based on the jacket I still personally think the Havana looks great on you. Especially once you adjust the sleeves and the waist,

indigoroots

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solid (no pattern) dark grey interview suit. Is the Napoli fit the only option?

I'm slim (Asian athletic build, 5'8" 140 lbs) and a little worried that the Napoli won't be slim enough. Thoughts / advice?

Thanks!

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In dark grey plain, there's also La Spalla and Sienna, but both are from the Suit Up line, therefore, more expensive. And the Sienna has a ticket pocket, and I believe they are less perceived as conservative business dress, therefore not as appropriate for an interview.

There's also a Havana Traveler in dark grey, plain, but the patch pockets might rule it out for interview wear, depending on how de rigueur you want your suit to be. Many interviewer wouldn't even notice this kind of detail.

Last edited:

dmoney90

Reaction score
At the risk of losing most of my i-Gent points, I bought a charcoal wool SuitSupply suit from their top line ($650), and I'm extremely pleased. It's the best OTR suit I've found for an athletic physique, aside from Luigi Bianchi Mantova, which I've never been able to find in my size. I think it's a good value, even compared to suits on GILT that come up at 40% off. I really like the wider lapels, soft rounded shoulders, and moderate waist suppression. For clarification, the suits are longer than the ones seen on the models in their website. It looks like most of their models are 6'0"-6'2" and wearing Regular length. Many of them look preposterously short, but I figure they're just playing to the fashion-forward crowd. I'm 6'2.5" and the 40L suit I ordered isn't too short at all. It runs 1/4" shorter in length than the Polo RL suit I tried on. I think the cut and construction of the suit is slightly superior to J.Crew's best offering, which I find too modern and youthful. If you want pictures, I can try to come up with some.
which suit did you get from SS?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would opt for a Havanna and or Sienna given your build. Napoli is for bigger, boxier people IMO.

I'm sorry, I didn't know bigger people had to dress differently than skinnier people.

True, the Napoli cut is a more conservative business dress and conservative cut, but it doesn't make it more fat people-oriented. It just means it's meant for different settings, where having a structured shoulder, flap pocket and a subtle fabric color/pattern is de rigueur.

Would this gentleman be considered bigger and/or boxier?

Aulis

Reaction score
I would opt for a Havanna and or Sienna given your build. Napoli is for bigger, boxier people IMO.

Except for the pants I guess. For my measurements, 172cm / 68 kg, the jacket on a 46R Napoli fit IMO very well whereas the pants had to be let out. The discussion is here a few dozen pages back.

phsiao08

Reaction score
Hey - didn't mean to overgeneralize, just wanted to express the opinion that given the Napoli's cut of broader shoulders, probably the most important thing to get right in a suit, favors a person who is a bit bulkier than average.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey - didn't mean to overgeneralize, just wanted to express the opinion that given the Napoli's cut of broader shoulders, probably the most important thing to get right in a suit, favors a person who is a bit bulkier than average.

Put like this, I guess you're right. But I haven't tried the Napoli myself. All I've heard is it's probably one of SS's cut with the tight-est trousers, which makes it quite inappropriate for bigger guys, like myself, who usually have bigger thighs too (unless we're talking chicken leg gym brats).

I guess I might've took your statement a little bit personally and for that, I express my apologies.
cheers.gif

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WIWY to my cousin's wedding.
Suit Supply Havana Navy wool jacket, with PRL chinos in light mint color. Tailor is on vacation until next week so, had to live with slightly too long sleeves and pant legs.
Now that I look back at it, I should've went with a more fun tie, to bring the upper and lower halves together. I'm afraid the top is too business-y for the casual-ness of the bottom half.
You're a stocky guy, and that is a trim cut jacket, so I can see how people could have some comments about it. If the Napoli shoulders were on this jacket, I think it would be great for you. But if you size up, then the sleeves will be way too long. Regarding the tie, I think if you go with darker brown shoes then it would make this tie work better. That being said, probably very few people would be looking at you with the critical eye of Style Forum, so this works in the "off to the polo match" sorta vibe.
I'm looking for a solid (no pattern) dark grey interview suit. Is the Napoli fit the only option? I'm slim (Asian athletic build, 5'8" 140 lbs) and a little worried that the Napoli won't be slim enough. Thoughts / advice? Thanks!
The Napoli is not for boxier people (look at my pics in this thread and the Kent Wang thread for evidence) but it definitely is fuller cut. Most of that can be shaped by a tailor, but buyer beware that the shoulders are nearly an inch wider. At your dimensions, I would pick a size smaller for a Napoli than the Lazio/Siena/Havana.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads