• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeroen Vriend

Reaction score
Wearing navy pure VBC wool Havana jacket.
Actually sleeves will be a bit lengthened (approximately half inch)

I won't lengthen your jacket sleeves, they are just fine. You'r shirt sleeves are a bit to long, I would shorten them a bit.

Last edited:

CyrisMartin

Reaction score
I won't lengthen your jacket sleeves, they are just fine. You'r shirt sleeves are a bit to long, I would shorten them a bit.
He's right make sure all your shirts are the perfect length, so that your not altering your jacket so much. Remember there is only 3/4 of an inch to be shorten or lengthen in our sleeves from the wrist.

CyrisMartin

Reaction score
48 looks best.

Both trousers seem to be excessively tight around the inner knees, perhaps there is room to let some fabric out?

EDIT: D'oh, just realised you were talking about the jacket, nevermind!
Plus he's wearing jeans lol, and you can't let out a thigh or knee.. ever. But i do agree the 48 looks best your not a 50 bro.

p.henrik

Reaction score

The one just off Jermyn St?? I've been to about 10 SS stores around the world, and no store quite embodies shite service like that London one. Typically aloof middle-England wankers. You work in Suit Supply dude, your shirts are 40 quid, you're not Agnelli.

I agree. Both the west end and city one (think employees alternate work at both). Sales reps think they're too cool for school, but don't have a clue about fabrics or fit.

I tend to order online from the EU site or in person in Amsterdam if I'm visiting because of that and the better pricing (same euro as pound pricing so it's about 20% cheaper).

p.henrik

Reaction score

That is disappointing. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of linen trousers? 

What did you expect instead? Silk runs hot (and more expensive), cotton is not really used as lining (think it would run hot ans not be good lining), some use bemberg (a cellulose composite) which is arguably better than poly. Don't think half lined poly will add much heat.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
What did you expect instead? Silk runs hot (and more expensive), cotton is not really used as lining (think it would run hot ans not be good lining), some use bemberg (a cellulose composite) which is arguably better than poly. Don't think half lined poly will add much heat.
What about viscose? I've always thought Viscose was more breathable, but not as strong as, polyester.

Celadon

Reaction score

What about viscose? I've always thought Viscose was more breathable, but not as strong as, polyester.

I think bemberg and viscose are similar fibres (I'm sure somebody else could explain that better), and yeah, I would have expected them to use bemberg if it is known to breath better and presumably feel cooler in the season when linen trousers would normally be used.

According to the inner-pocket tag the lining of the jacket is 77% cotton, 22% modal (another type of cellulose fibre) and 1% polyester. I assume this refers to the non-shiny/non-slippery almost see-through thin fabric which lines the inside of the body of the jacket. The jacket arms, on the other hand, are lined with a shiny fabric that looks and feels identical to the presumed polyester half-lining fabric in the trousers. Or could the percentages on the tag refer to the average fibre content of two different fabrics used in lining the jacket?

As I mentioned above, the trouser pockets are clearly not of the same fabric as the half-lining in the leg (and they feel like either cotton or possibly cotton with some minor synthetic admixture), but the tag in the trouser mentions nothing about this.

There have been other cases discussed in this thread where SuitSupply haven't declared the exact fabric content on the website. In this case, I wonder if even the tags inside the garments tell the whole story.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn my fully linen Havana for an outdoor wedding when it was 90 degrees out. No problems with overheating and certainly no issues with the trouser lining.

Celadon

Reaction score
I've worn my fully linen Havana for an outdoor wedding when it was 90 degrees out. No problems with overheating and certainly no issues with the trouser lining.

Thanks, that's good to know. Suitsupply's suits and jackets are affordable and fit me well out of the box (arm length is perfect), so I will probably continue to buy from them and will try to live with any issues I can't do anything about.

p.henrik

Reaction score

I think bemberg and viscose are similar fibres (I'm sure somebody else could explain that better), and yeah, I would have expected them to use bemberg if it is known to breath better and presumably feel cooler in the season when linen trousers would normally be used.

According to the inner-pocket tag the lining of the jacket is 77% cotton, 22% modal (another type of cellulose fibre) and 1% polyester. I assume this refers to the non-shiny/non-slippery almost see-through thin fabric which lines the inside of the body of the jacket. The jacket arms, on the other hand, are lined with a shiny fabric that looks and feels identical to the presumed polyester half-lining fabric in the trousers.  Or could the percentages on the tag refer to the average fibre content of  two different fabrics used in lining the jacket?

As I mentioned above, the trouser pockets are clearly not of the same fabric as the half-lining in the leg (and they feel like either cotton or possibly cotton with some minor synthetic admixture), but the tag in the trouser mentions nothing about this.

There have been other cases discussed in this thread where SuitSupply haven't declared the exact fabric content on the website. In this case, I wonder if even the tags inside the garments tell the whole story.

This got me checking my ss linings. My last one has bemberg jacket lining and 60/40 viscose/poly trousers lining. Pretty sure sleeves are the same as trousers. one of my 3y old has 100 poly, so yes no way they take sleeves into account, but this is getting overkill IMO. Fwiw I haven't notices any difference in breathability between my various lined trousers, so wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sale: All linen brown/navy PoW Soho suit, in 40R. Less than 9 months old!
It's a slightly heavier linen, so it doesn't wrinkle as much, and you could wear it in spring/fall as well. It's located in NYC for another 3 weeks, so cheap shipping for Americans! PM me for more info/measurements.

You can easily wear it as an odd jacket as well, or even without a tie, making it extremely versatile.

It's not a brown as the suitsupply website shows:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...prefv2=Contemporary-Soho&prefv1=Spring/Summer

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to order my first SS suit, but the measurements seem larger than what I'm used to, especially shoulders and chest. Should I just disregard their measurements and go with my usual size?

I guess with free returns I can just get two sizes...

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to order my first SS suit, but the measurements seem larger than what I'm used to, especially shoulders and chest. Should I just disregard their measurements and go with my usual size?

I guess with free returns I can just get two sizes...

More like the contrary. Disregard your usual standard size and base your choice on the shoulder width in the measurements section. Because everything else can be tailored to an extent, except for shoulder width.

Best bet is to measure your shoulder width (or have someone do it for you as it's tough to DIY) from shoulder bone point to shoulder bone point, where a good fitting shirt usually connects the sleeve to the yoke/body and choose the size that has this shoulder measurement or just the next size up.

IMHO.

EDIT* and as you mentioned, you can always order two sizes if you're undecided and return the least-fitting one.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads