• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've listed these in the B&S if anyone is interested......

alfredt

Reaction score
Fabric is nice. Not very heavy but heavier than most of the winter coat fabrics I've seen from them. The colour is good too, sort of a darker camel colour.

I'm not 100% sure of the fit yet, it's good in the shoulders but somewhat large in the body. I'll try to take some photos and post them here but I've been just been in shorts the past couple of days doing some renovation work in the house.
I've finally taken the time to take some photos of the new Mid Brown Polo Coat. Still somewhat unsure of the fit, I think I'll take it to the store to see if it can be taken in in the body to create a more flattering silhouette as it is a little boxy.

For reference, I am 1m98cm or 6'6" wearing a size EU 56.

BeFunky-collage.jpg

St1X

Reaction score
I've finally taken the time to take some photos of the new Mid Brown Polo Coat. Still somewhat unsure of the fit, I think I'll take it to the store to see if it can be taken in in the body to create a more flattering silhouette as it is a little boxy.

View attachment 2037027
That's how it is supposed to look like - relaxed fit for layering over tailoring. But I agree that it can be taken in a bit on the side seams.
P.S. Finally a proper cut on Suitsupply's coat. They used to have an Oxford fit and those are my favorite coats, too bad they don't release anything in that cut any more ☹️

davidazio

Reaction score

View attachment 2037027

This looks good! Thank you for sharing and I agree that this is how it is supposed to look, the fit looks great on you out of the box. Hopefully there is more released in this fit.

alfredt

Reaction score
That's how it is supposed to look like - relaxed fit for layering over tailoring. But I agree that it can be taken in a bit on the side seams.
P.S. Finally a proper cut on Suitsupply's coat. They used to have an Oxford fit and those are my favorite coats, too bad they don't release anything in that cut any more ☹️

This looks good! Thank you for sharing and I agree that this is how it is supposed to look, the fit looks great on you out of the box. Hopefully there is more released in this fit.
Thanks both. I agree it's supposed to be a relaxed fit, I just think it could be slightly taken in at the wait to create more of a subtle v shape when buttoned.

I really like this image of Oliver Dannefalk from Rubato in a similar coat.

Oliver-look-2b.webp

This image from Simon Crompton in a bespoke Ciardi coat is similar too but if anything I find his coat too tight. Maybe it's just that it looks a little stiff with the collar down.

double-breasted-coat-style-ulster.jpg

Rbpp

Reaction score
I plan to buy a double breasted jacket in a 6*1 configuration. So far I have achieved some really good results with the MTM program by lowering significantly the buttonning point (among other changes to the pattern). Do you think i also need to lower it if I get a 6*1 DB? Has any of you got one and could share the result?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Any one here who's tried SuitSupply's parkas? How are they? I am looking for a bit more stylish/"formal" parka and SuSu's alternative is one of the few I've liked. Do they keep you warm in Nordic winters? Warmer parkas are usually double the price, hence my question...

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 5 years of searching, I now own what I believe to be the *best* coat that Suitsupply ever made.

The Jort baby alpaca Merano coat with removable boiled wool lapel facing.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a stupid fuzzy collared coat, but I love the details of the base Merano coat too. The fabric is kind of hard to photograph, but it is this really soft, plush cream/steel marbled fabric with some darker black peppered in.

CRxkhGI23V-0.jpg

m_6393a5a1f644e5c018dd6652.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

St1X

Reaction score
After 5 years of searching, I now own what I believe to be the *best* coat that Suitsupply ever made.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a stupid fuzzy collared coat, but I love the details of the base Merano coat too. The fabric is kind of hard to photograph, but it is this really soft, plush cream/steel marbled fabric with some darker black peppered in.

CRxkhGI23V-0.jpg

View attachment 2056155
Looks amazing!
Although I think the best coat they ever made is a black herringbone from Magee with 670gr per sqm weight made in their double brested Oxford cut. Unfortunately this one is cut above the knee too ☹️

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks amazing!
Although I think the best coat they ever made is a black herringbone from Magee with 670gr per sqm weight made in their double brested Oxford cut. Unfortunately this one is cut above the knee too ☹️

I already have a custom Merano with the extended length, so the shorter one is good diversity.

Swell

Reaction score
I recently made a custom shirt whereby I was measured by one of their tailors. First result was a shirt that was way too narrow in the waist. The tailor checked the measurements and it was made to the right specifications, but after comparing we saw that the issue basically was that the darts were longer than on my other shirts. This caused that the darts also took in quite some material on the lower side between hips and waist measurement lines, and therefore it was too tight. Enlarging the waist and/or hips measurements for this wouldn’t work according to him, as it would be too roomy around my waist and hips, and still tight in the area between due to the darts. He saw no other way how to adjust this unfortunately. They ordered another shirt with a slightly larger waist, it improved a bit but still it’s not comfortable.

I’ve browsed their website and saw that when filling in the measurements, you also need to fill in the fit. Apparently he choose for extra slim. My thinking was that if I choose another fit, like regular or just slim, perhaps the darts are different and not so ‘aggressive’ between waist and hips.

Does anyone of you know more about this, basically to which extent the choice of type of fit impacts the shirt despite the measurements that you fill in?

davidazio

Reaction score
I am not sure if the same applies to custom made, but I recently ordered a few shirts in slim and extra slim to test them out. For reference I am tall and quite slim,and ordered all shirts in 40L. The darts on the extra slim were aggressive and WAY too tight, which made the shirt uncomfortable and more than skin tight around the waist. I ended up returning them.

The slim fit on the other hand was not too slim, and fit comfortably with a lot of extra room compared to the extra slim (almost top much in my case...!). I did end up keeping the slim fit shirt.

Maybe worth talking to online CS or another sales rep about this?

tilesomoole

Reaction score
I have one custom shirt from SS, and it came out perfect. I started with the 'slim fit' and adjusted my size passport to the measurements I've honed with another MTM company over the years. There are no darts, but I did have to reduce the waist size to the minimum allowable measurement (still 1/4" larger than I'd prefer, but still a good fit)

For reference, I'm 6'0 210 with a slightly muscular build (44 chest, 36 waist, though I have to get SS pants in a 38).

Their off-the-rack slim fit is pretty baggy in the waist, so I have to add a decent dart to them, but then they fit fairly well. Their extra slim are way too tight.

Also for reference, Charles Tyrwhitt's extra slim fits me perfectly. If they had better fabrics and more variety for smart/casual wear, I'd just get most of my shirts from them.

TeeSquared

Reaction score
I went in a got fitted for their MTM program. I've chosen a VBC S120 Pure Wool. The product code is 840.601/5730 (Suit Supply shows 270 grams/m2 whereas another distributer shows 240 grams/m2). I selected this fabric over their S110's (10.712/41 and 886.601/5730) due to a price difference of USD$200, $648 vs $848.

I am also opting for a full floating canvas. The sales associate defaulted to 2-ply. But given the option of a 2-ply vs 4-ply, what does it mean? I'm unable to find any details online of what the different layers are and which ones go missing.

While at the store, I liked how a VBC S150 with a full canvas 4-ply draped. I'm leaning towards a 4-ply for my construction too but not sure how it pairs with a VBC S120. They didn't have one available in store for me to examine.

I also welcome feedback regarding my choice of fabric. If it helps, I am located in the SF Peninsula where a heavier coat with insulation is nice but I also sweat in direct sunlight at about 80 degrees F.

Thanks in advance Styleforum!

archipel

Reaction score

CRxkhGI23V-0.jpg

View attachment 2056155

I have seen Jort wearing it on videos and it looks really nice. Could you share how it looks when you remove the wool lapel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads