• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

St1X

Reaction score
For wrinkle resistance, natural stretch and hot weather appropriate fabric I'd look for traveler fabrics instead

A-Lawson

Reaction score
For added comfort and wrinkle-resistance. Sounds to me like those qualities might be favorable in his situation:

And I've seen complaints in this thread about wool trousers disintegrating after only one season of use. Just like there are different quality wool fibers, there are different quality elastane fibers. Some even say that elastane adds durability to a fabric.

Most of the discussion is anecdotal and there doesn't seem to be anything definitive, so I wouldn't rule stretch wool out just yet.

And I'd imagine that resistance to wrinkling and sagging would only help with drape.
Stretch meaning better comfort is such a farce unless you wear skin-tight clothing.
If you want comfortable clothing, get clothing that actually fits you with quality fabrics.

Elastane will not hold up well and definitely does not add durability. It will lose its shape over time, and it also loses the center crease after a good press much faster than pure wool, generally.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I've literally never put on a jacket and thought, man, you know what would make this better? If it had 3% elastane in it. If it fits well, what does stretch possibly do for me? What does it do for you? No, it doesn't make it drape better; stretch fabric wants to return to its form (until it wears out), not drape gracefully over whatever shape it's laid.

If it doesn't fit well, then stretch can help. But if it doesn't fit well, it either goes for alteration or out the door. Ain't nobody got time for jackets that don't fit well.

The only place I could appreciate stretch is in easy pants, if I wore easy pants. Formal-looking wool pajamas do sound nice, in some circumstances. But even then, that can all be accomplished in the waistband, no need for the rest of the fabric to stretch.

jko

Reaction score
So are you saying that none of your jackets feel restrictive at any point during your daily activities?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
My daily activities in which I wear a tailored jacket do not include those in which a properly tailored jacket would be restrictive. If I was dancing and skipping and throwing a javelin I assume I would feel restricted, but in my actual use case, not really, no, except for one jacket that's just a hair too tight but I love too much to pass on (and seems far too risky to alter in any significant way). Well fit, well tailored jackets shouldn't be restrictive for the standard things you do in one. Certainly the ones I had made are just about perfect in this respect, where some I've bought had to be passed on due to fit issues. Perhaps you should consider unstructured jackets, and perhaps you should consider adding maybe an inch to the chest and a quarter or half inch to the waist of your jackets, along with higher armholes. If that still doesn't help, maybe a softer, less structured jacket.

I don't expect a tailored jacket to feel like my cheap hoodies, to be clear. But then, even my cheap hoodies are 100% cotton with no elastane or lycra, and they're fantastically comfortable, as hoodies tend to be. And I am sure I could throw a javelin in one, if I knew how to do that sort of thing. Horses for courses, right?

Where do you feel restricted, and during which activities?

I should also note that other elements of a jacket don't tend to stretch all that much either. How much does canvassing stretch? How much does the lining stretch? I don't mean drape or bend, I mean actually stretch.

pomor

Reaction score
so that's why the suits practically doubled in price
It's a funky looking building, but it kind of goes with the design of some of their stores, especially outside the US.

I'm sure the project was envisioned and started before the pandemic and remote work. I wonder, if in 2023 they would have rethought the design. Do they really need a building with that many offices? A lot of it can be done remotely and the actual photo shoots can be done in a rented studio or a much smaller building? But, they're probably too big to not have a decent size headquarters these days. I don't know. I think price increases have generally been caused by supply products' price increases and general labor costs, even in China.

Honestly, I'm not expecting 2013 Suitsupply prices in 2023. And they do seem to emphasize a line of more affordable selections while simultaneously pushing funkier, trendier designs. Even though they've always had at least one outlandish style decision per season, it does seem like in the last couple of seasons these are coming to the forefront with even more emphasis on casualness and wear versatility. In their social media, they make it a point to make sure you know that their pieces can be worn in a variety of ways, such that, I guess, the money you spent can go a longer way?

My hope is that they maintain what got them started.

Last edited:

burntalsoraw

Reaction score
Going to be in the Netherlands over the summer. Do they have brick-and-mortar outlets over there? I thought I’d read that they did a couple years back, but now I can’t find any mention of them.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Going to be in the Netherlands over the summer. Do they have brick-and-mortar outlets over there? I thought I’d read that they did a couple years back, but now I can’t find any mention of them.
There are only two Suitsupply outlet stores in The Netherlands, one is part of Mcarthurglen designer outlet located in Roosendaal and the other is part of Bataviastad near Lelystad. Both are operated by the respective outlet companies and not directly by Suitsupply themselves.

If you want to visit the regular retail stores (so not outlets), there are a handful of them, just check the store list on SS website

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
there's one in Brussels in Belgium I believe. It's not so far from the Netherlands depending where you'll be
The Brussels SuitSupply store is just a regular retail store and not an outlet store. The only outlet store in Belgium is located in Messancy and operated by Mcarthurglen designer outlets.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Can someone post a photo of a natural shirt shoulder?
1682938286401.png

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member