• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit tags

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been seeing people walking around in suits with the Designer's tag still on the suit. I'm not talking about the store or price tag, I'm talking about the fabric label that is sewn onto the bottom of the sleeve. Now I'm in college so nobody wears suits (not even most of the professors unfortunately), but I have seen some people downtown still wearing the label, and I have also heard this issue from other people. I always assumed that the tag was to be remoed, they seem to be sewn on lightly as to make removal easy. Anyone else see this trend? What is everyone's take on the situation?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see people doing this all the time... I guess they need the satisfaction of letting everyone know what type of suit/jacket they're wearing; talk about being flaunting lables. These are the same people that have no qualms about wearing a "Prada" logo t-shirt bought off the street in Chinatown.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the practice began with the whole vogueing phenomena - the point of which was to be deliberately gauche as a political statement (Vogue clubbers would also buy clothing, leave the tags on, and return them the next day after having worn them. Sort of an anarchic statement, I believe. Or maybe the less political and more malicious statement to snobby salespeople in snobby stores to go f**k themselves.) It is rather sad that people continue this practice with no sense of irony whatsoever.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
There was an article about this in the Wall Street Journal about five or six years ago as I recall.

At the time, they said it was because a lot of people just didn't know any better and they were so used to having labels on their casual clothing that they thought they should keep them on their tailored clothing as well.

As I recall, the article also pointed out that many people didn't know to have the pockets and back vents opened on their suit coats either.

It just goes to point out that people with style are rare indeed.

Bradford

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the article also pointed out that many people didn't know to have the pockets and back vents opened on their suit coats either.

Bradford
Most of the time, I intentionally keep some pockets sealed. On my overcoat especially, because I'll always see them start to sag on other peoples. Anyway, I wouldn't use them to put anything in, so it wouldn't matter.

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I also intentionally keep the pockets sealed on my suits. When they are unsealed, they tend to bulge out and look very sloppy. My tailor doesn't even ask to unseal them, for the same reason. I do get the breast pocket unsealed, since someday I'll wear a pocket square (haven't had the guts to do it yet).

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
I agree with Mike C. and Yosarian77 about leaving suit jacket pockets sewn shut. Except for the breast pocket.*

It keeps you from putting anything in the pockets absent mindedly (you wouldn't do it otherwise..), and keeps the pocket flat.

*Yosarian77 -- go get a pocket square right now and wear it..

Andy

Michael

Reaction score
I also intentionally keep the pockets sealed on my suits. When they are unsealed, they tend to bulge out and look very sloppy. My tailor doesn't even ask to unseal them, for the same reason. I do get the breast pocket unsealed, since someday I'll wear a pocket square (haven't had the guts to do it yet).
Wow. What could anyone possibly have against pocket squares? If someone's told you they're pretentious, well, they're wrong, and dumb, and probably have no clue at all about fashion. Pocket squares can completely change a look. Now here's a question for everyone: how do you fold yours? I have a few pique cotton Breuer pocket squares that just look plain stupid with the points up, as is usually suggested by GQ. I usually just take the middle into a point and fold it in half, stuffing the points down.

In summary, pocket squares are good. Okay that's it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the appropriateness of pocket squares depends on the suit. On a traditionally cut English, French, or Italian suit, a pocket square lends a nice touch, complementing the handiwork details of traditional tailoring (working cuff buttons, hand stitching in the lapels, etc...) On the other hand, a pocket square would look a little out of place on a Helmut Lang or Dior Homme suit. The self-conscious reference to "old-world" dressing in wearing a pocket square just wouldn't match well with the minimalist lines and New Wave references of those two designers, respectively. On an luxe Gucci suit, on the other hand... I guess it just comes down to a matter of knowing your designers and not mixing images by mistake. I have seen some extremely knowledgeable people do just that to good effect, but in general, it's not advisable.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Michael:

Here are a couple of pocket square folds:

Puff - Pick up the square in the center with the four points hanging down, fold over and insert in your pocket so that just the "puff" is showing and spread it to fill the pocket opening.

Reverse Puff or Points -- Pick up the square in the center with the four points hanging down, fold over and insert in your pocket so that just the points are showing and spread it to fill the pocket opening.

Puff and Point -- Same start as the first two only you fold the pocket square over in the center to show both points and puff.

Peaks - Start with the square open, fold over diagonally to form a perfect triangle with the flat side to your right. Fold the bottom edge up to the right of edge farthest from you and a little higher, move the left edge slightly higher and to the right of the two peaks you've created and you should have three peaks or triangles. Fold the square and insert so that the peaks will show out of the pocket.

Three Point -- fold the square into a perfect triangle with the flat side toward you, move the lower left corner to the right of the triangle then move the lower right corner to the left of the top point, adjust the three points so they are even, fold the bottom up less than half way and push into your pocket.

Andy

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So all tags should be removed from the suit?

My friend has a suit he got, its a fairly mainstream brandname (not superhigh end, but not some no-name brand either), and i noticed he didn't remove the tag that goes on the sleeve...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads