• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suggestions for a starter weightlifting program..

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone said switch to barbells... this isn' t necessary, just get dumbells that have more capacity (wider version). I haven' t had problems with the ROM on wider dumbells.

Good luck finding dumbbells that are 150#+ to deadlift or maybe double that to goblet squat.

Get a barbell, some serious weight, bumpers if you can swing them so you can power clean, and a pull-up bar. That is all you need to get stronger for a long time.

mayborne

Reaction score
If you get a power rack then you can just get a separate bench (without attached rack arms) and put it inside the rack when you want to bench press.

was thinking the same thing. perhaps this would work better? i don't think i'd drop the bar anyways.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't dump a squat as safely out of that. Can't do rack pulls. Would recommend a full cage.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can't dump a squat as safely out of that. Can't do rack pulls. Would recommend a full cage.

I'd just spend the money on bumpers over a cage so you can drop weight freely - maybe it is my personal preference to do cleans and more Westside style dynamic days. But it all depends on your situation.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never feel comfortable just dropping the bar off my back onto the floor. Always feels like im gonna hurt myself. Prefer to just set it down onto pins. Probably won't hurt yourself just dropping it off your back though. I would not be surprised if the cost for bumpers over metal plates is greater then the cost difference of a cage over stands.
Scooby says squats are bad, disregard scooby.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never feel comfortable just dropping the bar off my back onto the floor. Always feels like im gonna hurt myself. Prefer to just set it down onto pins. Probably won't hurt yourself just dropping it off your back though. I would not be surprised if the cost for bumpers over metal plates is greater then the cost difference of a cage over stands.
Scooby says squats are bad, disregard scooby.

Who the hell is scooby anyway? Not sure why anyone would listen to anything some random joe on the internet posts versus a real trainer with real results like Rippetoe or Louie Simmons.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good weightlifting discs will deffo run you a lot more than a regular set of plates, but if you're going to do srs OL stuff, they're ofc required. Hate rippletits' advice on the power clean, other than that SS is pretty solid.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know why they're so expensive? I know they're very accurate weight as in a 25kg plate is at most like 25.005kg or something when it comes out of the factory and they look nice, but for the cost of a 25kg eleiko or ivanko plate you could probably buy a few hundred pounds of crappy metal plates.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who the hell is scooby anyway? Not sure why anyone would listen to anything some random joe on the internet posts versus a real trainer with real results like Rippetoe or Louie Simmons.

Not to mention this guy is average gym rat size at best.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know why they're so expensive? I know they're very accurate weight as in a 25kg plate is at most like 25.005kg or something when it comes out of the factory and they look nice, but for the cost of a 25kg eleiko or ivanko plate you could probably buy a few hundred pounds of crappy metal plates.

unfortunately I'm unable to further elucidate the cost structure of weightlifting disc manufacturers... good branding maybe? niche pricing? supply and demand? It's obvious that at least Eleiko gets a huge mark-up for being the official manufacturer for the international circuit. They make good stuff and I'm not griping about the price, only that they run a lot more than your normal 45lb solid plates.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just get cheap ones unless you were really competitively lifting. I lifted with Eleikos when I was training Oly and they were amazing, just stayed right on the bar like nothing, but I have no idea how Rogue's nicer ones compare.

Why do you hate Rippie's advice on PCs? Not that I paid that much attention to it since I usually squat snatch instead.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you hate Rippie's advice on PCs? Not that I paid that much attention to it since I usually squat snatch instead.

well as an OLer I have a slight aversion to the jump shrug stuff that gets toted when power cleans are discussed. also because imo pcs are for an OLer an advanced lift to sub for the classical lifts on lighter days. IIRC there wasn't a lot of emphasis on hip action which is really the heart of the 2nd pull. Basically to learn the clean, the emphasis should be on the 3rd pull which is really what makes a decent clean, thus learning the pc first is an ass-backwards way to go about things... but I digress.

I do see why it's in the book, and not all ppl are going to be full on OLers anyways, so *******.

goddamn I'm good at thread derailment :laugh:

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well as an OLer I have a slight aversion to the jump shrug stuff that gets toted when power cleans are discussed. also because imo pcs are for an OLer an advanced lift to sub for the classical lifts on lighter days. IIRC there wasn't a lot of emphasis on hip action which is really the heart of the 2nd pull. Basically to learn the clean, the emphasis should be on the 3rd pull which is really what makes a decent clean, thus learning the pc first is an ass-backwards way to go about things... but I digress.
I do see why it's in the book, and not all ppl are going to be full on OLers anyways, so *******.
goddamn I'm good at thread derailment :laugh:

It is about dynamic power - which is also what Louie Simmons has found - some explosive lifting can help with pure strength. I agree it isn't a perfect teaching, and, in general, you shouldn't lift Oly if you aren't being coached properly - so teaching from a book is a bit irresponsible. Could always do goblet squat jumps for a lot of the same training effect.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honestly, focus on only compounds 'cause that is the best thing that you can do for yourself. I don't recommend SS, because beginners don't have proper for to lift at that intensity. Beginners will benefit just as much from training in the 5-8 rep range, as the 8-12 rep range for the first several months(studies have indicated up to 6). Generic Power Bench Press(I do 15-30* incline), Chin ups(I don't believe the opinion that pull ups develop better lats), Squat, Dead, and DB Should Press. The only accessory movement I do is a tricep dip with a weight belt. Many people I know have gotten large biceps without every consistently doing curls or any variation of curls(waste of time). Accessory movements are a waste of time, unless you're training for a specific sport. It seems your goal is overall fitness and you should stick with compounds as that will train many things. Studies have indicated that after 1-2 sets, any additional ones only expend energy. I would only do a 3rd one if you want to focus on improving technique. So go full body 3-4x/week and properly warm up using reverse pyramids. 2 sets of 8-12 reps of the above compounds and get out. Be efficient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads