• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suggestions for a starter weightlifting program..

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
starting strength, strongdicks 5x5, 5/3/1, IA SPBR

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
These are well known lifting programs that you can google, though I assume by "strongdicks" he means "Stronglifts."

thisisfun

Reaction score
3x5's with compound movements like squats and deadlifts
Find somebody experienced to help you when you start out, they'll keep your form in check and make sure you don't hurt yourself.

mayborne

Reaction score
These are well known lifting programs that you can google, though I assume by "strongdicks" he means "Stronglifts."

ooh ic ic! well thanks guys! i will do just that!

mayborne

Reaction score
thanks guys! i have lifted before in high school/ college but stopped when i started working so my form is probably good. it's just that crawl from starting again at very low weights seems abit dreary. i did the 1-2 body parts per day thing for a few years. i'll look into the 5x5 strongdicks lol, seems interesting.

btw i also have kettlebells at home from my older bro that does them. are the swings more cardiovascular? i will run too actually.

mayborne

Reaction score
5/3/1, IA SPBR

k need to check these out as well.
wink.gif

mayborne

Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I started a variation of stronglifts at the beginning of the year and I quite like it so far. I can't do exactly what he says because I have to do many excercises with dumbells but what I am doing is pretty close.

mayborne

Reaction score
i'm feeling those squats right now. it aches to stand up lol!

so do you mean you workout at home manton? i was looking at the program and was thinking i could buy one of those bench press/ squat aparatuses with the safety lock. a few bars, weights, etc and not have to step foot in a gym again. plus kettlebells for cardio. i will hafta come up with the space tho.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes, I lift at home. I did not want the hassle or the expense of a gym. There may come a time when I max out on the dumbells. Then I will have a few options:

1) Get the extensions so I can up the weight (though then grip strength will become a problem)

2) Switch to barbells (then I will need specialized spotting equipment which might not fit in the basement)

3) Join a gym (feels like giving up on my investment in the weights I have, expense is long term and ongoing, much less convenient too)

4) Just keep doing the same exercises at the max weight I have and consider that my permanent plateau.

I am not there yet though getting close with a couple. Not sure what I will do when/if I reach that point.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) Switch to barbells (then I will need specialized spotting equipment which might not fit in the basement)

This is the correct answer, though I don't know how big your basement is. If ceiling height is the issue then you don't necessarily need a full power-rack (although it would be nice).

mayborne

Reaction score
^is that what they call that thing with the bar and safety so you can do bench presses/ squats, etc?

my buddy's gym has a power rack with 0 weight on the bar. i thought that was awesome and i'd love to get one of those if i continue on this program. but most likely i'll get just a regular one coz i'm betting it's already quite costly.

oh and i somehow lost 7 lbs last week. i even started late in the week like wednesday and wasn't able to do a third day. i did run 1 day for about 45 mins but that's about all i did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads