• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a Navy Suit

kturpin

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to SF and figured my first post should be a fairly easy one. I suspect there will be many suggestions to this query being that it is so vague, so I'll do my best to help lessen the gap in responses.

I'm fairly new to the corporate world, and hence, have only accumulated a few suits for my daily rotation, mostly being from the Hugo Boss black line. They fit me well (even better after a visit with my tailor) and are fairly inexpensive. I'd like to add a navy blue suit to my collection and am open to hearing the opinions of some of SF's members. There are a few things to keep in mind before you make your suggestion:

1. I'm 25 years old, and cash flow isn't as good as I'd like with recently purchasing my first home.
2. I live in Canada and I'd like for the suit to be of a material that can weather all 4 seasons.
3. 2 button blazer, notch lapels (staying away from double breasted and sharp lapels; I'm a fan of both of these looks, however I want to keep it fairly simple, while at the office anyways).

Any help is much appreciated.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I can't help with recommendations, but the sort of navy blue suit you describe is an absolute staple and a great choice. Try to go with something not too fashionable in cut (no skinny lapels, not too short).

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Hugo Boss black line is slim (I presumed coz I never own one), you might like suitsupply, I recently have a look at the 'Jort' line and they look and feel very nice, I may add it is probably the best, in terms of price/quality ratio, Italian style well made suit, although the fabric feels slightly fragile but I am sure it will last a good 1-2 years with 2-3 times wear per week, in an office environment.

Put it that way, if I never went into bespoke, and in need to buy suits now, I will rather pay a fraction of price of this, rather than the 'Bigtimer' OTR stuff e.g. Zegna Courture.

Note the other lines of suitsupply are in my opinion pretty crap.

Last edited:

kturpin

Reaction score
If Hugo Boss black line is slim (I presumed coz I never own one), you might like suitsupply, I recently have a look at the 'Jort' line and they look and feel very nice

My issue with Suit Supply is their drop. They have a 6" drop. I'm a 42R and a 32-24" in the waist... Without the option to pick waist size, I'm left with a 36" waist which is up to 4" too big. Naturally trousers bigger in the waste will be wider legs as well (though if I alter the pants, I might have enough fabric to make a cape haha)... I ordered a Napoli and after finding this out, cancelled and got a refund. Too bad their suits aren't as good as their customer service.

Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My issue with Suit Supply is their drop. They have a 6" drop. I'm a 42R and a 32-24" in the waist... Without the option to pick waist size, I'm left with a 36" waist which is up to 4" too big. Naturally trousers bigger in the waste will be wider legs as well (though if I alter the pants, I might have enough fabric to make a cape haha)... I ordered a Napoli and after finding this out, cancelled and got a refund. Too bad their suits aren't as good as their customer service.

As mentioned above, try samuelsohn MTM. Gabel or Geneva base (I like Geneva). Full canvas.
I have similar dimensions.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too bad, I feel your pain. I presumed MTM or bespoke is your best bet.
BTW, how can you fit in Hugo Boss suits? do they sell trouser separately?

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might consider Hickey Freeman. Classic styles for the most part, good materials and construction.

kturpin

Reaction score
You might consider Hickey Freeman. Classic styles for the most part, good materials and construction.

Thanks, I'll look them up.

Too bad, I feel your pain. I presumed MTM or bespoke is your best bet.
BTW, how can you fit in Hugo Boss suits? do they sell trouser separately?

HB has an 8" drop.

Their 34" waist is more true to size and fits me well. Though, as previously mentioned, I can be a 32" waist in other brands.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually the Napoli line is a true 7 inch drop.. you wont find much off the rack for most places that have a 10 inch drop maybe save for dior homme stuff and I honestly have not seen any staple stuff from them.. I have a similar drop with a 9 inch drop.. 47 chest and a 38 waist..so I have similar problems.. you might have to go the made to measure route.. I have commissioned a three piece through samuelsohn before that worked out well

PattyPoo

Reaction score
Being Canadian myself, a few recommendations:

1) As previously mentioned, Samuelsohn made to measure is probably the very best bet. I'd wait until Harry Rosen has an event and you can get 10% off the regular MTM price. I am positive, as I am about to do it myself, that you can get a solid navy in an 'A' fabric for around $1100.

2) If you're going to go off the rack, I'd stay away from Boss, especially on a staple suit. Being sucked in by the marketing of Boss in my past, I'd much rather have a high quality suit that will stand the test of time, especially if it's going to be your most versatile piece, as the navy is likely going to be. If you consider Boss off the rack inexpensive in Canada (even though it's stupidly overpriced at Rosen and Holt Renfrew), then you're not going to be blown away by prices on a fully canvassed, higher quality garment. Samuelsohn's OTR line for Rosen is called JP Tilford and you can get one at a fairly decent price point.

I find anything else at the higher end department stores in this country to be at price points that border on robbery...staple Canali tends to be cheaper at Holt, at least in Calgary.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru