• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for Black Shoe for Going Out?

Grenadier

Reaction score
As I get older, I find myself wanting something a little better, more elegant, hip, whatever than black Doc Martens in the evening on dates, gallery showings, bars, etc. I don't want something too dressy, but more adult than Docs. College is over. :brick:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there are two aspects to the question:
1. What style shoe/boot?
2. What color?

Are you looking for one shoe that you can wear with jeans as well as chinos/dockers?

Are you always wearing them with casual attire or do you need something that can also "dress up" to a situation with a tie or jacket?

Do you need something you can wear when it's wet or snowing outside?
Leather soles look a lot classier but they suck when they get wet - you're much better with a rubber sole if you need something for wet or snowy conditions. And for the types of things you're talking about, overshoes don't work well because you don't have an opportunity to remove them.

What is your budget?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
raf simons derbies

Last edited:

Grenadier

Reaction score
My budget would be $600.00 or so. I would like rubber soles, although am not opposed to leather soles. I live in Phoenix, so worrying about overshoes isn't much of a concern. I am looking for something I could wear with jeans and maybe nice chinos at night, although I typically wouldn't wear tan or khaki chinos at night. Hence wanting something black.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Wilbert or Clarkstreet for shoes. Longbranch for boot

Oak Stree Bootmakers Trench Boot

With a leather sole: Alden Indy 403

Personally, for your budget you could get 2 pairs of the Wilberts. Black to wear with black pants and dark brown CXL to wear with everything else.

I also have a pair of Whites SemiDress - great boot. But, the form factor is still a work boot form factor - either the Indys or the Longbranch look better with chinos

super1flavor

Reaction score
Try dark grey suede. Black is inherently more dressy than any other color. I share your interest in finding that perfect casual evening shoe. I have a pair of very dark grey Church's Ryder desert boots. They work well for the night. The problem I always seem to run into with black is the shine. Like many people, I tend to be somewhat obsessive compulsive about marks, dirt, etc, so if I am wearing black, they need to be spotless, which is why I don't wear them at all. Spotless black boots with jeans is just an odd juxtaposition. Only time I wear black is with suiting and even then, it's usually for the highest level of occasions.

Last edited:

fanpasser

Reaction score
well,Spotless black boots with jeans is just an odd juxtaposition. Only time I wear black is with suiting and even then, it's usually for the highest level of occasions.
29.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads