• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede-protection/cleaning

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of beige suede shoes. Yesterday it was nice out when i put them on, not a cloud in the sky.. When a movie i went to finished at 1am, it had begun to rain really hard. I got lucky and got a cab pretty fast and it dropped me off at my front door but i looked at them today and i can see spots where they got wet.

I've never bought anything suede before and i'm wondering if there's anything i can do to protect them from water (i've heard different things about treatments). I also need to know what i should do to clean them from time to time. With leather shoes i'll take a damp cloth and wipe them down before i polish them but i have no clue what to do with these shoes to keep them looking new.

Timothy

Reaction score
Look for something called suede conditioner, or maybe it's re-conditioner, I can't remember right now. You should be able to find this at a local leather shop/store. It would possibly help you to talk to someone at shoe repair shop. They will be able to provide the best advice to you, plus have the supllies that you need.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. What he said. I meant to post on this earlier, but anyway it's a good idea, if you care about your clothes, to make friends with the people near you who can help you. Find the good shoe guy and the good tailor near you, who are closest to your style (tailor mainly on that point) and talk to them a bit. Most of their job is giving advice. In my case I know a good cobbler and a couple of the best tailors around, just by coming by and talking to them, and asking about a few things. A good cobbler will give you advice that will keep your shoes alive, not keep him busy. IOW keep your shoes healthy, not let them get beat up so he can fix them again soon and make $.

I use suede conditioner spray on new suede shoes and then I have a suede/nubuck cleaner spray I use once in a while with a brush on top that you scrub the shoes with. Suede is strange; it's tough and you can really beat the hell out of it but to certain things it's fragile. If all you have is water spots, you're probably okay though, just talk to an expert.

j.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member