• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear and Females

zubin

Reaction score
haha, i feel like we are all on the same page here. My ex used to think i was gay (not literally) because of how into clothing i was/am. I definitely styled hard on her, and it was a well known fact.

Now-a-days i feel like my standard is too high and i cant even take anyone seriously (much less a girl) who doesn't dress nicely. Not to be a condescending prick but....i guess i kinda am one. When you're 24 and living in san jose, finding a well-dressed girl is harder than finding an asian with good driving abilities

the girls around here think that black shirt + R&R or COH+ black shuz OR bright shirt + tight jinz+ DUNKZ/Jordans is fashionable. I need to go up to sf more....girls there are hot and steezy

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a better time with girls that are dressed better than you are, or the girls who aren't on your level?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody is on any level, you people are playing the stereotype out perfectly. Elitist pricks.

If somebody was a hardcore audiophile or really loved cars, would they exclude those who didn't share their knowledge/understanding of their hobby, despite respecting it/appreciating it?

I understand some people may have a preference towards more fashionable women, but to 'not take them seriously' or treat them as any less than your equal is conceited and stupid. As a thought, they probably know a lot more about make-up and hair products than you ever will and that correlates quite well with fashion and 'steez'.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Nobody is on any level, you people are playing the stereotype out perfectly. Elitist pricks. If somebody was a hardcore audiophile or really loved cars, would they exclude those who didn't share their knowledge/understanding of their hobby, despite respecting it/appreciating it? I understand some people may have a preference towards more fashionable women, but to 'not take them seriously' or treat them as any less than your equal is conceited and stupid. As a thought, they probably know a lot more about make-up and hair products than you ever will and that correlates quite well with fashion and 'steez'.
Read the question again. The way it was typed implies that these people have been with girls that don't dress as well as them. How would they have an experience with "those girls" if they boxed em out?
sarcasm.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't really answer your question, was moreso using it to make a point, was predominantly aiming at zubin and similiar-minded. zubin pointed out that his standards are too high now, meaning he is boxing them out.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If somebody was a hardcore audiophile or really loved cars, would they exclude those who didn't share their knowledge/understanding of their hobby, despite respecting it/appreciating it?

Yes this happens all the time, with everything.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well, I personally don't take women seriously who don't care about looking cute/sexy/whatever through clothing. A woman's perceived value in the human cycle is greatly dependent on her looks - men do not have the same dilemma, which is why being especially stylish for men is a novelty and not a standard (nor is it required to be successful with women). If a woman doesn't value her looks, then she obviously thinks of herself as on the lower end of the food chain, thus she is not interesting to me.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody who - in an everyday friendly environment - ignores/doesn't like/has blanket negative feelings towards someone for lacking knowledge due to not being an enthusiast/hobbyist/afficionado of such field needs to get their head out of their ass. Not everyone shares your passion just like you don't share everyone elses. Fair enough if you have a personal preference towards like-minded people, thats normal, but have some respect for those who choose other avocations. I feel like I'm teaching primary school here.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One person says they act that way and you turn into our unnecessary ethics professor. Give it a break.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody who - in an everyday friendly environment - ignores/doesn't like/has blanket negative feelings towards someone for lacking knowledge due to not being an enthusiast/hobbyist/afficionado of such field needs to get their head out of their ass. Not everyone shares your passion just like you don't share everyone elses. Fair enough if you have a personal preference towards like-minded people, thats normal, but have some respect for those who choose other avocations. I feel like I'm teaching primary school here.

waaaa waaaaa let me call the waaaaambulance. so youre saying who cares what she looks like, she may be really into this or that. so lets all go date extremely unattractive people because hey, im sure theyre really good at something else!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm speaking for everyone that acts that way, I can tell you right now it's not just zubin, there are a few of them in this thread, many more who haven't showed their face. Just trying to put things into perspective for some of these people, someone has to.

West you've missed the point completely, try re-reading what I wrote then get back to me.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me, Xenox? Having knowledge/being a hobbyist has nothing to do with it. Like Brian SD said, it all translates to how women value their looks and/or femininity. One of my exes, who I was with for years, dressed like a man when I first met her. She wore oversized t shirts and polos with cheap stonewashed Levis and running shoes. Over time, I convinced her that she should wear better fitting and more feminine clothes, because she was attractive and had a nice figure. In the long run, she was glad to have the advice. The downside was, she was, on an emotional level, basically a stereotypical 'guy' and it ruined our relationship. I should have had a clue based on how she dressed. I'm all for equality, but I like for there to be at least a little gender separation in my relationships. This doesn't even take into consideration that that ex would literally get upset when I dressed better than her when we went out, or that she thought it was ridiculous that I spent time on a web forum related to fashion and style. My current gf is exactly the opposite- she dresses like a woman, has style (regardless of whatever brands she happens to be wearing), and is at least moderately feminine. To me, this is a great indication of the kind of woman she is, and we have a fantastic dynamic in our relationship. Yes, she is a bit of a fashion hobbyist, but to me that's secondary in importance. By the way, she showed me The Sartorialist for the first time, so that earns her points in my book
smile.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Are you kidding me, Xenox? Having knowledge/being a hobbyist has nothing to do with it. Like Brian SD said, it all translates to how women value their looks and/or femininity. One of my exes, who I was with for years, dressed like a man when I first met her. She wore oversized t shirts and polos with cheap stonewashed Levis and running shoes. Over time, I convinced her that she should wear better fitting and more feminine clothes, because she was attractive and had a nice figure. In the long run, she was glad to have the advice. The downside was, she was, on an emotional level, basically a stereotypical 'guy' and it ruined our relationship. I should have had a clue based on how she dressed. I'm all for equality, but I like for there to be at least a little gender separation in my relationships. This doesn't even take into consideration that that ex would literally get upset when I dressed better than her when we went out, or that she thought it was ridiculous that I spent time on a web forum related to fashion and style.

My current gf is exactly the opposite- she dresses like a woman, has style (regardless of whatever brands she happens to be wearing), and is at least moderately feminine. To me, this is a great indication of the kind of woman she is, and we have a fantastic dynamic in our relationship. Yes, she is a bit of a fashion hobbyist, but to me that's secondary in importance. By the way, she showed me The Sartorialist for the first time, so that earns her points in my book :[/B])

god dam it! do you have no pride?! take your manhood back!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, man, I'm just trying to give her credit where it's due! She's ******* cool!
smile.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold up now, looking healthy and taking care in how you look and being fashionable are two different things.

Taking care of how you look, generally dressing acceptably and grooming yourself is part of one's wellbeing and lifestyle, preferences in this regard are understandable, men want girls who take care of themself and girls who don't take care of their appearance show signs of other carelessness in their lives.

I was referring to the guy's that won't date chicks wearing true religion or girls that don't dress avant garde, to me thats against the simple fundamental rules of society, giving everyone a chance and understanding we don't all share the same passions. I drew the relation to hobbyists in that what we do can very easily be classified as a hobby.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabika