• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

The "aniline" you're collectively referring to that we use is a semi-aniline, smoothed box calf. It is dyed through and has a more uniform coloration and appearance directly from the tannery. It will remain more uniform in coloration and appearance over time than some other tanned hides.

Our crust calfskin is hand-stained after clicking (not when the shoe is already made) and then finished once the shoe is made, allowing discretion in the dyeing and finishing that can't be achieved in an aniline or semi-aniline calfskin. Crust will patina more with time.

Chromexcel (CXL) is, no pun intended, a different animal, as it is first chrome tanned, then vegetable retanned, then hot stuffed via impregnation of hides with oils, waxes, and greases. It is better suited to very casual or "work" applications. Our REV is close to CXL and, due to the aforementioned similar impregnation, is not as breathable as something like our CRU or VNA, plus it has a decidedly casual appearance.

I would recommend reaching out to your preferred retailer for more information on our upper offerings or, of course, to us directly. @Coldfire3k3, for an upper without any grain you would be equally well served with either CRU or VNA, with the above caveats.

A lot of useful information here, thank you for that.

Just to clarify semi-aniline box calf leather is a chrome tanned, full-grain, aniline dyed calf leather with a protective coating (hence "semi-aniline"). Is this correct? What does smoothed refer to?

My research indicates that Weinheimer (Freudenberg) produces the best box calf. Does Saint Crispin's source their box calf from them?

Last edited:

The J

Reaction score
Here's a proper shot!
SHOOT1.jpg

benf

Reaction score
For those of you that own both the Mod 633 (classic last - Russian Calf) and EG Dover (606 last -Doak) NST derbies, which shoe do you prefer and why?

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produ...rby-with-hand-stitched-apron/#&gid=null&pid=2

https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/dover-dark-oak-antique-calf-606-last.html

From the photos, the Russian Calf looks similar to EG’s Utah leather. Would someone be able to provide more information about RUS? Is it a hand stained or aniline Calf?

The other major difference I see is that the EG 606 is a square toe whilst the StC classic last is round.

I know the Dover is an iconic shoe but haven’t seen the StC IRL. Just got my first pair of StC and is open to getting another.

Last edited:

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For those of you that own both the Mod 633 (classic last - Russian Calf) and EG Dover (606 last -Doak) NST derbies, which shoe do you prefer and why?

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produ...rby-with-hand-stitched-apron/#&gid=null&pid=2

https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/dover-dark-oak-antique-calf-606-last.html

From the photos, the Russian Calf looks similar to EG’s Utah leather. Would someone be able to provide more information about RUS? Is it a hand stained or aniline Calf?

The other major difference I see is that the EG 606 is a square toe whilst the StC classic last is round.

I know the Dover is an iconic shoe but haven’t seen the StC IRL. Just got my first pair of StC and is open to getting another.

Here are a few side by side shots to compare.

IMG_8803.jpg
IMG_8802.jpg
IMG_8804.jpg
IMG_8805.jpg

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I have to say the St. Crispin's are quite a bit more attractive. Surprised how chunky the EGs are in comparison.

Chunky is the right word! I’m surprised as well. Perhaps some other lasts from EG, like the narrower 82, would serve this model better if it’s worn with smarter trousers instead of leisure cords or jeans.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the St. C split toe visually.

However. I concede EG’s always look better on foot then they do on display pictures

Last edited:

benf

Reaction score

Thanks for the photos Kevin.

I agree with the others that the Saint Crispins 633 is sleeker and from the side, it looks better as a single piece of leather.

Didn’t expect to say so...but from the above I likes the Dover more mainly because I think the 606 last is better suited to the style. Most Saint Crispin’s I see (whether mto or rtw) are on the classic last. But for a derby style NST, the classic is a bit conservative IMO.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Kevin.

I agree with the others that the Saint Crispins 633 is sleeker and from the side, it looks better as a single piece of leather.

Didn’t expect to say so...but from the above I likes the Dover more mainly because I think the 606 last is better suited to the style. Most StC I see (whether mto or rtw) are on the classic last. But for a derby style NST, it takes away that ‘x’ factor.

Decisions, decisions...

I think they both look great. But in my opinion they are two completely different shoes.

The 606 is by far the nicest Looking last for the Dover.

The fun thing about StC though, is that they can pretty much make any shoe you like. I quite like this one from The Armoury.
C078FD4C-FC37-460B-BE70-F81A8C499273.png

benf

Reaction score
I think they both look great. But in my opinion they are two completely different shoes.

The 606 is by far the nicest Looking last for the Dover.

The fun thing about StC though, is that they can pretty much make any shoe you like. I quite like this one from The Armoury.
View attachment 974404

I have the G&G isham in kudu which has a smiling texture to the one above. And the MH71 last is a soft square toe not dissimilar to the 606.

I did a google search and most StC NST are in the classic last. Is there a StC last that’s similar to the 606/MH71?

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score
What upper is that? Is it Russian calf? Do you find that it requires more maintenance in comparison to other leathers?

It is the Russian calf: it has different characteristics to the CRU or INC but it does not necessarily require more maintenance. I recommend it with the reminder that at the end of the day these are still shoes that we wear on our feet and occasionally show signs of wear and need attention to maintain their appearance. :cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads