• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penrod

Reaction score
How are these breaking in? I’ve never pulled the trigger on any RUS due to negative reviews, so I’d be interested in your opinion.
please post more photos esp after wearing them... danke schon

RUS needs a lot of brushing but I think it ages nicely. I put a little tobacco crème polish on them initially but after that just brush them a lot.

Attachments

• 9279D1E6-22D7-414E-9B5E-9DD562CB8835.jpeg
    9279D1E6-22D7-414E-9B5E-9DD562CB8835.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 186

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone sent their shoes back to SC for a sole replacement? How much did this cost? In my case, I have currently have the geyo sole, but I might change to something else if possible. Thanks chaps!
Last year a half sole and heel lift was €295 and a full sole and heel lift was €445 including VAT. Best thing to do is just email them and ask for pricing based on what you want them to do

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year a half sole and heel lift was €295 and a full sole and heel lift was €445 including VAT. Best thing to do is just email them and ask for pricing based on what you want them to do
Jeez, that's quite a high price. Do they hand stitch it?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the original shoes aren't hand stitched, but when I bought my first pair from them I vaguely remember reading somewhere the resoles are hand stitched.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, if that were accurate, why not just begin with a handsewn sole. 🤔
Found it. Kinda old though.

https://theshoesnobblog.com/saint-crispins-factory-visit/

"As I mentioned, the shoes about 95% handmade. That 5% is attaching the sole, which is done by a very old hand-driven machine that stitches on the sole. Phillip tells me that the results are nearly identical (providing that one is skilled with this very old-world machine), but the time to attach the sole is drastically reduced using the machine, so in his mind it only makes mathematical sense to do so. And presuming that he is accurate, I can’t say that I can disagree with that notion. And from what I have seen of their sole stitching, it looks quite tidy to me and I have never heard of sole separation before, so why not use it instead of doing it by hand?! However, funny enough, when they do a re-sole, it is done by hand and not using the machine."
stc repair.JPG

willyto

Reaction score
Curious, if that were accurate, why not just begin with a handsewn sole. 🤔
Found it. Kinda old though.

https://theshoesnobblog.com/saint-crispins-factory-visit/

"As I mentioned, the shoes about 95% handmade. That 5% is attaching the sole, which is done by a very old hand-driven machine that stitches on the sole. Phillip tells me that the results are nearly identical (providing that one is skilled with this very old-world machine), but the time to attach the sole is drastically reduced using the machine, so in his mind it only makes mathematical sense to do so. And presuming that he is accurate, I can’t say that I can disagree with that notion. And from what I have seen of their sole stitching, it looks quite tidy to me and I have never heard of sole separation before, so why not use it instead of doing it by hand?! However, funny enough, when they do a re-sole, it is done by hand and not using the machine."
If that turns out to be true my theory would be that with the machine on a new welt and sole it's faster and saves time and costs. On a resole if they don't have to remove the welt by hand it's easier to follow the previous holes?

I have no idea, just spectulation.

To be honest at the price point I find it a disappointment that the soles aren't hand stitched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads