• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

papado

Reaction score
Has anyone with a lower instep found the need to size a half down from standard sizing conversion to manage it or does the shoe become too tight? I'm a US11D (brannock and all verified) and typically wear a uk10. My pair of 633 [derbies] in 10F are a good fit (instep a little high but good fit all around) however a pair of 522c [captoe oxford] I bought during COVID appear to be a little roomy in the heel and instep. I'm hoping once the 522c break in it will be more bearable, however I'd love to eventually get a pair of the penny loafers [mod 539?] but the instep question is always tricky without having a place to fit them in person.

andreasky

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in wearing StC 524 in suede in summer? What about KUD, JAN and BUK? Thanks

andreasky

Reaction score
No discernible difference from any smooth leathers (have JAN, BCK and HUN)
Thanks.
Since you have all (Jan, BCK, and HUN) what about breathability? They say that suede has more pores than calfskins and should be more suitable for summer.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Since you have all (Jan, BCK, and HUN) what about breathability? They say that suede has more pores than calfskins and should be more suitable for summer.
I'm going to caveat this by saying that this is purely my experience and my feet don't really run hot so it's not something I consciously think about. That being said, to me, lining more impacts breathability where my unlined shoes and boots feel much better to wear in the summer than anything lined. Weight is probably also a factor there as unlined are noticeably lighter. I will say that unlined suede subjectively feels the best in the heat of the summer though

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a lower instep found the need to size a half down from standard sizing conversion to manage it or does the shoe become too tight? I'm a US11D (brannock and all verified) and typically wear a uk10. My pair of 633 [derbies] in 10F are a good fit (instep a little high but good fit all around) however a pair of 522c [captoe oxford] I bought during COVID appear to be a little roomy in the heel and instep. I'm hoping once the 522c break in it will be more bearable, however I'd love to eventually get a pair of the penny loafers [mod 539?] but the instep question is always tricky without having a place to fit them in person.
I have a low instep. I got a personal last. I definitely would NOT size down in your case. You really should go the modified or personal last route

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a low instep. I got a personal last. I definitely would NOT size down in your case. You really should go the modified or personal last route

2nd, 3rd and 4th this - one of the best aspects of St. C is how cheaply they can do a modified/last for you, and also that there's no MTO fee.

sdfzs

Reaction score
Thanks.

For unlined shoes there might be some difference you can notice between different options of uppers but anything lined will still have the same lining and stiffeners that's absorbing/transferring the perspiration. The noticeably difference to me is between unlined (Not StC thought) and lined. Not between different choices between CRU, JAN, VNA or MOU/ALP assuming we are still talking chuckas.

The question raises my curiosity however. 524 as the iconic chukka it is IMO should have structure and lining given the aesthetics of the model. The context here seems to be summer where i myself avoids shoes covering my ankles with the exception of dessert boot style Alden unlined chukkas. I'm finding it hard to lessen the formality of the 524 (even it being a chukka to start with) by removing lining and structure for the breath-ability. What aesthetics are you seeking?

andreasky

Reaction score
For unlined shoes there might be some difference you can notice between different options of uppers but anything lined will still have the same lining and stiffeners that's absorbing/transferring the perspiration. The noticeably difference to me is between unlined (Not StC thought) and lined. Not between different choices between CRU, JAN, VNA or MOU/ALP assuming we are still talking chuckas.

The question raises my curiosity however. 524 as the iconic chukka it is IMO should have structure and lining given the aesthetics of the model. The context here seems to be summer where i myself avoids shoes covering my ankles with the exception of dessert boot style Alden unlined chukkas. I'm finding it hard to lessen the formality of the 524 (even it being a chukka to start with) by removing lining and structure for the breath-ability. What aesthetics are you seeking?

Thank you for your suggestions.
I am looking for a nice pair of shoes to wear in summer. I thought that suede would be fine. In case I would choose dark brown as lighter colors do not hide stains and dirt. By considering dark brown suede chukka boots are my favorite. In my view oxfords in suede loose appeal in comparison with calfskin leather. I do not like derby style in suede. For this reason I thought that 524 would be perfect. I have chukkas in suede with rubber sole from another brand and I can wear them in winter and spring. They are good at breathability. On the other hand I understand that ankle boots are not the best for the summer if lined and for this reason 524 may not fit my needs. In fact I thought you could get 524 unlined.

Any suggestions?

MonteCarlo

Reaction score
Hi All,

It has been somewhat of a goal of mine, ever-since I joined the community 7 odd years ago to acquire a pair of St Crispin's Shoes. To me, they are the one of the finest makers in the world and I always wanted a pair of my own.

I have finally realized this goal and ordered a pair of 620 Boots in Natural Shell Cordovan with norvese stitching directly from Mr Phillip. I think they came out incredible and wanted to share some pictures with everyone here. I still cannot get over the color - the contrast between the golden brown shell and the light stitching is stunning!

DSC04864.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

20210705_125523.jpg

20210705_124617.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It has been somewhat of a goal of mine, ever-since I joined the community 7 odd years ago to acquire a pair of St Crispin's Shoes. To me, they are the one of the finest makers in the world and I always wanted a pair of my own.

I have finally realized this goal and ordered a pair of 620 Boots in Natural Shell Cordovan with norvese stitching directly from Mr Phillip. I think they came out incredible and wanted to share some pictures with everyone here. I still cannot get over the color - the contrast between the golden brown shell and the light stitching is stunning!

View attachment 1635030

View attachment 1635031

View attachment 1635032

View attachment 1635033
Lovely!

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

View attachment 1635030

View attachment 1635031

View attachment 1635032

View attachment 1635033

Dear lord. Stunning. Can't wait to see them worn in with some rolls.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

View attachment 1635030

View attachment 1635031

View attachment 1635032

View attachment 1635033

Congratulations on the purchase. I'd agree about that fantastic contrast from the upper down through the sole. ??

Wear them in good health.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

View attachment 1635030

View attachment 1635031

View attachment 1635032

View attachment 1635033
Beautiful! Is the last modified at all?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.