• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Tom and I designed it by taking elements of the Dover and incorporating it into the JM Weston Chasse. We then added the Norwegian welt. I have a last at SC- not bespoke, but they took a standard last and modified it. Not sure what to call it. Anyhow, the shoe is available for special order at LS.
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/new-arrivals/

I know that SC does the made-to-order last adjusting program, but how do you derive the measurements/adjustments? Did you travel to Hawaii/LA to be measured/fitted?

SC can do no wood pegged soles?

They look truly amazing, especially the double row reverse welt stitching, and remind me of a pair of bespoke Delos boots posted somewhere online.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope
nod[1].gif

Well at least in the Anglo-American world of RTW shoes, Dover looks better than G&G Hove and JL Chambord in my opinion.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that SC does the made-to-order last adjusting program, but how do you derive the measurements/adjustments?  Did you travel to Hawaii/LA to be measured/fitted? 

Unfortunately, this was done primarily by trial-and-error. Tom knows my feet pretty well simply by what I've ordered in the past, and our similarly sized and shaped feet. He was therefore able to help me choose the correct adjustments to the custom last. Furthermore, the first couple pair of SCs purchased pre custom last were not perfect fits, but allowed us to make logical choices regarding alterations (I'll probably be selling these BTW). I'm sure there is a more straight-forward way to do this.

SC can do no wood pegged soles?

Wood pegs at the waist are the standard for SC. I asked for this pair to come without them.

They look truly amazing, especially the double row reverse welt stitching, and remind me of a pair of bespoke Delos boots posted somewhere online.

Thanks!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a last at SC- not bespoke, but they took a standard last and modified it. Not sure what to call it.

sounds awesome. how is the procedure? i can imagine that this generates some interested parties among the sf crowd.

imo, this is the advantage of flexible units like e.g. St. Crispins.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wood pegs at the waist are the standard for SC. I asked for this pair to come without them.

Because those shoes are in Norwegian construction.

StCrispin2.png

The top-row of stitching goes through upper leather and insole. The upper leather is then folded out (it doesn't go underneath). The second row of stitching goes through the folded-out upper leather into the middle sole. Then the upper leather is cut-off to form the step that is quite visible in the photograph. On the bottom of the step is a third row of stitching, which connects the middle- with the outer sole. (Although it is possible the second row goes through middle- and outer sole and there is no third row. Difficult to see in the picture.) So you have at least two (if not three) rows of stitching to connect upper to bottom.

The wood-pegged waist in St Crispin is in place of any stitching. The sole is stitched 'ball to ball' not 'breast to breast'. So the pegs are needed to provide a connection between sole and insole.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice shoes, JB.
User "Posh" from www.newsaboutshoes.de once repaired a St. Crispin.
From

To
She documented the whole process and revealed some details that she wasn't very happy about quality-wise. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the thread: http://www.newsaboutshoes.de/showthread.php?t=804 Maybe Google translate helps, otherwise PM me and I'll help as much as possible.

Regarding the stitching of the welt to the outsole which Posh seems to take issue with you can clearly see the machine they use for this process in the following video.

In my opinion this does not diminish the quality of the final product one bit. They are still hand welted and that is the main point.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding the stitching of the welt to the outsole which Posh seems to take issue with you can clearly see the machine they use for this process in the following video.

In my opinion this does not diminish the quality of the final product one bit. They are still hand welted and that is the main point.

This was just one of a few criticisms (mostly shortcuts used and some "carless mistakes"; and some misguiding phrasing on their website, esp. w/r/t the stitching). Anyway, I just posted the link so people can have a look at the "interior" of the shoe and form an opinion themselves, not to discredit St. C in any way.

Last edited:

gusvs

Reaction score

Great stuff guys. Love the captoe and medallion. that shoe is perfection, imo

I really dig the grain on these.

+1. They actually look Russian Reindeer-esque, just without the scoring.

+1. I can't get enough of that Inca calf.

A great choice!

Thanks guys!

was the heel made this way due to specific needs of your foot?

No (at least I did not ask for it). But they feel great!

gusvs

Reaction score

The fit is great- SCs have a ton of stability at the arch due to wood pegs they put in at that area. While this pair lacks the pegs, it remains very stable at the arch. I wouldn't consider myself someone who needs arch support, but for some reason the added stability makes SCs extremely comfortable. SCs are the most comfortable RTW shoes IMHO.

+1, totally agree. Great looking shoes by the way. I guess it is the classic last they used when adjusting for your foot?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrchinese