• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mike147

Reaction score

thank you. i will just send those in to show.
I did get trial shoes first and even with taken some width down, i still have this much extra. It is crazy, I know, but I have such crazy narrow feet. I always have a problem and it takes a lot of modifications to get enough volume taken down for me. 

It would have been really bad if i didn't get the trial shoes made first as well as to have a good idea of taking a few widths off before even making the trial shoe.

You have to remember that I'm about a US AA width in measure. 

Any update on the fit? Seems like you were concerned about the width (pictures). Will StC take them back for adjustments - seems like they are close to the fit you wanted and might require a small adjustment? Expect that's a minor adjustment but would need to put the shoes back on the last.

How do they feel when you wear them? Comfortable or can you feel that they are a bit too wide?

Just curious how much they cost? Shipping back and forth for adjustment is a PITA but sometimes really worth it.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How do the uppers look? Assume they did a full resole and restored the uppers, insole, etc. New sole is always going to look like a.... new sole. How much did recraft cost?

I've found SC does a really nice job with uppers. If you don't want them to heavily darken the toe caps, you can request that. IME, they're very attentive to details, so long as you're specific about what you want. The light burnishing isn't too different from what EG provides. Although, if you don't even want the light burnishing, you can also just ask for a restoration and polish.

Last edited:

Mike147

Reaction score

I've found SC does a really nice job with uppers. If you don't want them to heavily darken the toe caps, you can request that. IME, they're very attentive to details, so long as you're specific about what you want. The light burnishing isn't too different from what EG provides. Although, if you don't even want the light burnishing, you can also just ask for a restoration and polish.

How much do they charge? Does that include shipping? Assuming from the US that shipping is about $65 to Europe with insurance (senders cost).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much do they charge? Does that include shipping? Assuming from the US that shipping is about $65 to Europe with insurance (senders cost).

I don't remember the exact price, but it wasn't very much. Shipping isn't included, so that will add to your cost. Sort of the problem with any non-US company, so not that unusual if you're used to buying from European brands.

They do a great job with the uppers though. Just be specific about what you want.

Last edited:

Cuebert

Reaction score
Dear St. Crispin's addicts,

my pair of brown Derbys has built up some excessive polish, especially around the toe area.

Has anyone of you ever used Saphir's Reno Mat with their pair of Sain Crispin's? If so: is this advisable?

I am not sure whether this is a good solution, as I think that the shoes are hand painted?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my pair of brown Derbys has built up some excessive polish, especially around the toe area.

Has anyone of you ever used Saphir's Reno Mat with their pair of Sain Crispin's? If so: is this advisable?

I am not sure whether this is a good solution, as I think that the shoes are hand painted?

I would not recommend Reno just because it will also strip the color and hand paint finish but if you are very very careful I guess its doable

Cuebert

Reaction score
I would not recommend Reno just because it will also strip the color and hand paint finish but if you are very very careful I guess its doable
This is exactly what I was thinking too, then again the shoes haven't gone through any real antiquing or something, they are just plain brown.

Maybe the slight amount or colour that might get striped off even when being careful could be reapplied by using some brown Saphir Cream?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is exactly what I was thinking too, then again the shoes haven't gone through any real antiquing or something, they are just plain brown.

Maybe the slight amount or colour that might get striped off even when being careful could be reapplied by using some brown Saphir Cream?

Well then you are in clear & I don't see no harm go for it.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any update on the fit? Seems like you were concerned about the width (pictures). Will StC take them back for adjustments - seems like they are close to the fit you wanted and might require a small adjustment? Expect that's a minor adjustment but would need to put the shoes back on the last.

How do they feel when you wear them? Comfortable or can you feel that they are a bit too wide?

Just curious how much they cost? Shipping back and forth for adjustment is a PITA but sometimes really worth it.

Yes after quite a bit more wearing they are working in well but I would say that I could have about 1 width taken off of the heel, facings (instep area where the laces come together), and vamp / ball of the foot. So for this pair I will leave it as is and am just wearing a thicker sock for now. When i need to get them resoled, I will see about having them taken in a bit on the adjusted last after it is "perfected" for my next pair!

They are still very comfortable in all other dimensions including length and the perfect arch!!!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If your shoes are made from crust leather, I wouldn't recommend it. I once ruined a pair of crust leather SC shoes with Reno conditioner, and Reno'Mat seems only harsher. The problem is that you can strip the top layer of the crust leather right off, leaving a rough patch. You could also permanently discolor the leather (meaning the actual leather, not just strip off polish that you can reapply later).

I talked to Phillip once about this at a trunk show, and he said he thinks Saphir products are just too harsh (I assume he meant the conditioner and Reno'Mat).

I don't know how you can strip the excess polish off. You may want to contact SC directly for advice, but I would be wary of Reno'Mat. Crust can be a beautiful leather, but it also requires a bit more specific care.

Some other poster on here once ruined a pair of crust leather Paul Evans shoes with Saphir conditioner as well. Again, permanent damage.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

If your shoes are made from crust leather, I wouldn't recommend it. I once ruined a pair of crust leather SC shoes with Reno conditioner, and Reno'Mat seems only harsher. The problem is that you can strip the top layer of the crust leather right off, leaving a rough patch. You could also permanently discolor the leather (meaning the actual leather, not just strip off polish that you can reapply later).

I talked to Phillip once about this at a trunk show, and he said he thinks Saphir products are just too harsh (I assume he meant the conditioner and Reno'Mat).

I don't know how you can strip the excess polish off. You may want to contact SC directly for advice, but I would be wary of Reno'Mat. Crust can be a beautiful leather, but it also requires a bit more specific care.

Some other poster on here once ruined a pair of crust leather Paul Evans shoes with Saphir conditioner as well. Again, permanent damage.

Plain turpentine works well. I've used it on all my crust leather shoes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk