• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco

kennon

Reaction score
Is it confirmed that Spoon Tailors offers full-canvassed jackets now? Earlier posts indicated that Spoon only offered half-canvassed jackets.

Yep, they will do full canvas for an additional $50. I believe they also needed an additional week or so since it requires special attention. In my case, they actually mixed up the order and made my suit half-canvassed before realizing their mistake, which resulted in additional delays.

Actually, when I first placed my order, Andrew's brother Calvin seemed to think that there was little benefit in requesting full over half canvas. He said that fusing has improved to the point where it isn't really considered a negative. It still seems worthwhile for such a small markup, though. Will have a better idea when I see the results!

Last edited:

cropknox

Reaction score
Personally, I still prefer full-canvassed jackets of half-canvassed one. I actually stopped by the Chinatown location and placed an order. Andrew was very helpful.

I ordered a one button, two-piece suit -- full canvass of course -- in an medium gray, 8.5oz Loro Piana semi-solid that looks almost like a sharkskin. The cut I asked for is pretty British, since I have slightly more staid tastes than many on the SF.

Perhaps I'll post pictures when its done.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the pics.

I am going in to meet with Kevin next week for my next shirt order - he said they're getting in the new books for the season sometime this week.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies but can someone please give me updated pricing as of 3/6/12 on suiting and shirts.

I work in the financial dist and would love to check this place out.

Cheers

cropknox

Reaction score
The prices Andrew quoted me on full-canvassed suits from the Holland & Sherry and Loro Piana books I was looking at were just south of 1,300, including CA sales tax.

malat

Reaction score
Ordered three pair of pants plus a summer weight sport coat today. Prices have definitely gone up. Pants are up from $190 to $210+, sport coats now start around $690. Calvin was able to bring the prices down a bit upon a little nudging. This was at the Sacramento location. Full canvas is $50 more, and working button holes are no extra charge, to my surprise.

kennon

Reaction score
Bit of a crosspost, but here are pics of my suit + shirt on the tailor thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...k-and-alteration-suggestions/735#post_5271227

I'm curious about general fit and about whether some of the issues are fixable, such as the popping jacket collar and the lines from the interior construction. I have another shirt on order with Calvin but he is holding off on constructing it until i provide modifications to the first shirt, so any advice there would help a lot as well!

Hopefully the pics are clear enough; if not, I can definitely take more.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bit of a crosspost, but here are pics of my suit + shirt on the tailor thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...k-and-alteration-suggestions/735#post_5271227

I'm curious about general fit and about whether some of the issues are fixable, such as the popping jacket collar and the lines from the interior construction. I have another shirt on order with Calvin but he is holding off on constructing it until i provide modifications to the first shirt, so any advice there would help a lot as well!

Hopefully the pics are clear enough; if not, I can definitely take more.

It seems to be pulling when you button the coat. The pants look long but your not wearing shoes so it may not be accurate.

The shirt should be washed a couple of times to get an accurate assessment.

Last edited:

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of my favorite swatches from their new Thomas Mason book. The new lower tier fabric books will arrive in late April.

something funky

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Nice. I've been looking for something like #2.

slcook54

Reaction score
Bump for this thread, first post on the forum, had no idea this forum even existed. I found the Spoon guys through Yelp a couple of weeks ago and decided to have some trousers and shirts tailored. To be honest, all this half / full canvas stuff is totally over my head, I was just looking for an improvement over the stuff off the rack and it seemed like Spoon was great bang for the buck.

As others have noted, the prices have gone up slightly, the shirts are now $95 each for the basic swatches. Calvin, Andrew's brother, mentioned that while the shop was closed in February, they were back in HK and the material costs increased (just what he told me). The full suit price was still $799 with trousers being 1/3 the cost and the suit jacket the other 2/3. My shirts were ready after two weeks, but still waiting on the trousers to get finished to go in for the first fitting.

I'd like some more information on Chan and Yao, are these other tailors in the city?

Steve, #styleforumnoob

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bump for this thread, first post on the forum, had no idea this forum even existed.  I found the Spoon guys through Yelp a couple of weeks ago and decided to have some trousers and shirts tailored.  To be honest, all this half / full canvas stuff is totally over my head, I was just looking for an improvement over the stuff off the rack and it seemed liked Spoon was great bang for the buck.  

As others have noted, the prices have gone up slightly, the shirts are now $95 each for the basic swatches.  Calvin, Andrew's brother, mentioned that while the shop was closed in February, they were back in HK and the material costs increased (just what he told me).  The full suit price was still $799 with trousers being 1/3 the cost and the suit jacket the other 2/3.  My shirts were ready after two weeks, but still waiting on the trousers to get finished to go in for the first fitting.    

I'd like some more information on Chan and Yao, are these other tailors in the city?  

Steve, #styleforumnoob

Chan and Yao are tailors from HK that travel to the US on a periodic basis.

thomaspaine

Reaction score
Updates! Unfortunately my experience hasn't been great so far.

First, I ordered my shirt at the beginning of Feb and didn't get it until now. 4 weeks after I ordered it they told me that the fabric I selected is gone, so it took another 3 weeks to make the new one. I think they had a lot of backorders and I wasn't in a rush, so not a huge deal but still kind of annoying.

Second, it's way too baggy. Maybe I didn't express hard enough that I like a slim cut, but I'm 28 and this makes me feel like a fat banker (no offense to you finance guys). Construction and fabric are both really nice, but if a tailor is going to have to rip it apart anyways then it doesn't matter much.

Also, Thomas Mason shirts have gone up to $180.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom