• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who ordered MTO shirts and requested for the fabrics to be pre-washed to alleviate shrinkage (pause), do you find that it actually works?

The_International

Reaction score
I’m also curious to know people’s take on this. I just placed my first order for three MTO shirts and requested the fabrics be pre-washed before cutting.

ahtynes

Reaction score
It's obviously hard to know for certain, but I've generally found minimal to no shrinking when I wash new shirts and I always ask for washing before cutting.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full canvas grey suit ordered. Hard to say no to something so special at such a great price.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love wearing the brown cord suit as separates — today in the ecru OCBD and brown cord trousers.
View attachment 1297541
Interesting, looks like plum on my computer screen. Still looks great.
For those of you who ordered MTO shirts and requested for the fabrics to be pre-washed to alleviate shrinkage (pause), do you find that it actually works?
Based on the fabrics I've ordered, yes.

I've bought 2 linen shirts and 1 herringbone shirt.

I've had 0 shrinkage.

All cold wash, hang dry.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's obviously hard to know for certain, but I've generally found minimal to no shrinking when I wash new shirts and I always ask for washing before cutting.
Based on the fabrics I've ordered, yes.

I've bought 2 linen shirts and 1 herringbone shirt.

I've had 0 shrinkage.

All cold wash, hang dry.
Thanks, guys!

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think DieWorkwear has written a lot about this and the answer is basically “no?” As I understand it the modern “Neapolitan cut” is just characterized by a wider lapel, more open quarters, and a soft or unpadded shoulder with pleating in some form (camicia, morbida, insellata, rollino, rigatoni, whatever). But things like lapel shape, gorge height, shoulder extension seem to vary wildly. And my understanding is that the previous comments about earlier Neapolitan jackets (eg Attolini, Rubinacci Sr.) having a more standard lapel width are basically correct: in the 1950s(?) Attolini et al just took the more modest English jacket and ripped all the padding and guts out of it to suit their environment.

Still, I think the Neo cut that Spier produces is closer to Florence. I’ve only ever seen that intense negative belly paired with the hard 3r2.5 on Florentine jackets. I’d guess the “Neapolitan” association comes from Ciongoli’s Eidos (owned by Naples-based Isaia) jacket patterns, which are just riffs on Liverano.

I don’t profess to be an expert on this ****, but that’s my reading.

I have this on a couple of my Sartoria Partenopea jackets.

I also don't know that I agree with your entire premise. I mean, yes, different houses can have very different defining traits but I don't think they're incongruous with each other.

induere_to

Reaction score
I sense a theme:

Harris Tweed MTM arrivals:

15123EAF-D904-41CA-83B7-2078F6D6587F.jpeg

91C100C4-F037-4B54-AA24-74A6AB0D3DA0.jpeg

9241DE87-B30F-4381-9290-031C6557BD5E.jpeg

92D922D5-FB3C-4C8F-9381-692E1D464B2B.jpeg

Too warm for Houston, maybe; but up here we love this stuff.

ElliotG

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads