• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking out aloud here, and a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone here might have shared the same experiences with me.
I started my first professional job some 3 years ago, and I was a thin-ish frame, fitting almost perfectly into OTR 38. I went MTM in here in Melbourne, Australia and was very happy with the product. Fast forward to date, and after 3 years of 5-6 days a week of weight lifting and now coming out of a long hibernation here in Sweden, I cannot fit anything.

I used to fit perfectly into a slim cut 31 inch pair of jeans, now I struggle to get my thighs into them and all looks very disproportional as my thighs are skin tight, calves slim and ankles loose. The same applies to my suiting situation. My MTM suits are pretty much useless now, yesterday for example I wore one of them and I can't sit without feeling uncomfortable and the jeans I'm wearing now are so uncomfortable. My Kamakura shirts now look absolutely stupid as they're now skin tight on my bicep, loose on my forearm, tight on my chest (creating a separation between the buttons) and loose on the waist. In the jacket department, I've managed to still fit 38, i just have to stick to completely unstructured as the structure really looks stupid and is uncomfortable for my body shape.

I am by no means gloating about being some ripped dude now, but I am growing frustrated in finding ANYTHING that fits comfortably and I'm curious if anyone has gone through a similar situation? I spent loads on clothes that fit me well once, and now verging on being utterly self conscious as my body doesn't fit anything now.

I had this experience a few years ago. I dropped a lot of weight I went from wearing XL polos (and 38 trousers) to M (and 30 trousers). But I felt I was too slim. So I started to gain muscle. Currently I wear again XL polos but with a 34 trouser. I had to sell my entire wardrobe since everything was 40 in jackets. Now I wear 44. Sometimes I want to drop some more fat or gain muscle but then I remember my wallet can’t stand another wardrobe change haha. So I try to stay in this shape.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20% Sale on 'casual' stuff this weekend.

If the new linen shirts release in the next few days I'll add a couple of chinos and polos to my cart, I guess. Maybe a sweatshirt for next winter.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going through the same experience. However, I went through a phase where I wanted everything basically painted on. I picked up a dumbbell and now I basically have to get most of my wardrobe overhauled.

It's a good thing though! You get to start over

pmestrad

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys: sort of related to S&M, def related to this thread though. I see a lot of polo shirt with casual sport coats here. Where do you guys draw the line in terms of shirt formality? Do you do long sleeve polo only? Short and long sleeve polo? Henley? V neck T shirt? Just curious as to the thoughts of the group.

drfwtx

Reaction score
I did it yesterday for the first time...and again today. For me, I like it as a summer look because I need less clothing covering my body during the warmer months. If I was to do a long sleeve, I think I'd prefer a pop over or a standard dress/sport shirt over a long sleeve polo. Plus long sleeve polos seem to be harder to come by your specific sleeve length without tailoring. I'm pretty sure I'd never wear a a sport coat without a collared shirt, though.

Quick question for you guys: sort of related to S&M, def related to this thread though. I see a lot of polo shirt with casual sport coats here. Where do you guys draw the line in terms of shirt formality? Do you do long sleeve polo only? Short and long sleeve polo? Henley? V neck T shirt? Just curious as to the thoughts of the group.

walkinginplace

Reaction score
Thinking out aloud here, and a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone here might have shared the same experiences with me.
I started my first professional job some 3 years ago, and I was a thin-ish frame, fitting almost perfectly into OTR 38. I went MTM in here in Melbourne, Australia and was very happy with the product. Fast forward to date, and after 3 years of 5-6 days a week of weight lifting and now coming out of a long hibernation here in Sweden, I cannot fit anything.

I used to fit perfectly into a slim cut 31 inch pair of jeans, now I struggle to get my thighs into them and all looks very disproportional as my thighs are skin tight, calves slim and ankles loose. The same applies to my suiting situation. My MTM suits are pretty much useless now, yesterday for example I wore one of them and I can't sit without feeling uncomfortable and the jeans I'm wearing now are so uncomfortable. My Kamakura shirts now look absolutely stupid as they're now skin tight on my bicep, loose on my forearm, tight on my chest (creating a separation between the buttons) and loose on the waist. In the jacket department, I've managed to still fit 38, i just have to stick to completely unstructured as the structure really looks stupid and is uncomfortable for my body shape.

I am by no means gloating about being some ripped dude now, but I am growing frustrated in finding ANYTHING that fits comfortably and I'm curious if anyone has gone through a similar situation? I spent loads on clothes that fit me well once, and now verging on being utterly self conscious as my body doesn't fit anything now.

Sounds like a classic case of being reverse Roger Stoned.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, yes. That's me. For most of my life I was a 38R with a 32" waist. By the end of last summer I was a 40R with a 32" waist. I am now a 42R with a 34" waist (because t h i c c booty + thighs). I expect by the summer I'll be a 44R - but I'm on a cut right now. Bulked up about 30 pounds in the last 10 months.

All my pants are bursting at the seams. Half the clothing I bought in the last year, which is mostly unworn or worn only a few times, needs to be sold off or donated. I thought I'd go the H&M route to save money until I get to the size I want - but whatddyaknow, H&M's clothing doesn't even fit over my bicep (all good everywhere else).

I'm happy I'm no longer a 165lb skinnyfat DYEL - but yeah - I share your frustration in the difficulty to find anything that fits. I'm holding off on big purchases (trousers being the only one at the moment) and not tailoring anything until after my cut. I've also resigned myself to going the MTM route in the future. Luckily S&M shirts are affordable, are good quality, and I can choose the collar size and sleeve length to get the most basic of fit.

Pants, though. Pants. Why are all the good looking pants made for skinny dudes?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are all trying to find good-looking garb that fits our weird body dimensions, and we all have brands we avoid because of the way they fit. Some of us even mould ourselves so we can look good in that jacket or these pants.

But I’d never thought about those guys who intentionally build bodies that are too extreme to wear anything off the peg. It’s an interesting problem to have, and I’m glad @Hayden Schrapel brought it up.

Last edited:

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F91188E2-B715-4A55-AA70-D20E80AFB1D0.jpeg I’m of the minority that hunts out of season, and I’m feeling the need for flannel in my lineup. Can anyone share stories or pictures of the navy VBC flannel jacket?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics