• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased the trousers below as my first Spier and Mackay purchase. They are beautiful, but I've found them, surprisingly, a bit difficult to pair. All the white shirt's I have tried (mostly OCBD) make them look almost like they are dirty, and my light blue oxfords seem to clash. Anyone have any shirt and tie pairings they like with these or similar light colored flannel trousers?

I had planned to wear them with a navy blazer for my rehearsal dinner.

6720-59-2-1500x1500-1_1.jpg

Try a mid-blue denim/chambray, a white-dark blue stripe, or a mid-brown/tan?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I purchased the trousers below as my first Spier and Mackay purchase. They are beautiful, but I've found them, surprisingly, a bit difficult to pair. All the white shirt's I have tried (mostly OCBD) make them look almost like they are dirty, and my light blue oxfords seem to clash. Anyone have any shirt and tie pairings they like with these or similar light colored flannel trousers?

I had planned to wear them with a navy blazer for my rehearsal dinner.

6720-59-2-1500x1500-1_1.jpg

Generally the easiest way to dress is to create contrast. I'm not sure what shade of blue your oxford is, but a light blue shouldn't really clash with this light brown. A cream/ivory shirt may work with a dark tie and Navy Blazer. Light colour trousers are all over Instagram, or if you look up images from past Pitti Uomo you can get a lot of inspirational ideas.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the navy windowpane trousers that are currently on sale but I have no idea on how to pair them with sportcoats. Does a solid color sportcoat work?

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:(
I was worried that the Moon gun club would be too tight, but it turns out it is too short. I'll take photos tomorrow when it isn't dark, just to check, but it seems a no go for me.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of options for the collar. We use a stiffer interlining as default. Stands up better without a tie, which most guys are tieless these days. We can soften the fused interlining, so it's still crisp, but just softer. Or we can unfuse it. This is fairly soft, but without a tie, doesn't have the same support.
Great!
Also On my MTM shirt I feel there's a decent amount of extra fabric around the forearm but the wrist measurements are already snug. Will decreasing the bicep width slim the forearm?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Great!
Also On my MTM shirt I feel there's a decent amount of extra fabric around the forearm but the wrist measurements are already snug. Will decreasing the bicep width slim the forearm?

Now that you have your first shirt you can advise of the specific areas you need adjustment. If the bicep is fine, just ask for 0.5" reduction in forearm, or however much you feel is necessary. Likewise, you can ask for the cuff to be made larger as well if by whatever 1/8" increment you feel comfortable.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you have your first shirt you can advise of the specific areas you need adjustment. If the bicep is fine, just ask for 0.5" reduction in forearm, or however much you feel is necessary. Likewise, you can ask for the cuff to be made larger as well if by whatever 1/8" increment you feel comfortable.
Well that's amazing! Thank you haha

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, FWIW, I sized up on my guncheck (from 40R Contemporary to 42R Contemporary) and it's perfect.

Note:. My typical 40R Contemporary jackets from S&M bow just a wee bit in the chest, so I'm probably a "true" 40.5R.

It's a darn good jacket. I'm actually really, really impressed.

Rick, if you do more subtle but interesting (soft, textured, and tastefully patterned) fabrics like this, I'll be buying a lot of them.

Really well done...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads