• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
Yes I have the mock leno from SS21 I think. It's in the Fresco bunch- the weave is somewhat coarser than the other frescos. It's pretty much the platonic ideal for a summer blazer imo. Very breezy, drapes well, barely wrinkles- it's a good piece. Sadly I don't fit mine anymore.

Minnis’ Mock Leno is probably my absolute favorite hopsack/open weave blazer fabric I’ve ever had. Drapes so nicely and absolutely does not wrinkle. At $450, that is a very good value.

Snatch a mock Leno if you want a top notch kickabout navy SC
Thanks. Sounds like I have to pick one up now!

SteveMc

Reaction score
Not to pile on ... well, maybe yes - to pile on.

I had set an alert for a re-stock of a sport coat, and I saw a message this morning that it was available. Yeay! I immediately clicked on the link in the message and the coat was out of stock. Either, everyone wanted that damn SC and everyone who received the alert clicked and bought it (unlikely) or they just effed up.

I know. First world problems, but annoying, nevertheless.

That's happens a lot. Item #256 on their backlog ;).

Imperatores

Reaction score
Hi there… did they reply to

Hi there… did they reply to you? I just bought two items (separately) and the calcs were wrong too! Should have been 0 taxes, duties, or fees, as the purchases were each under $1K AUD!
Hi! Yes, they replied. It was a generic non-response, though. They didn't acknowledge any inaccuracies whatsoever, nor did they offer any kind of explanation as to what the seemingly random "fees" are supposed to be for. I haven't made a lot of purchases since, both due to the bad taste this left in my mouth and the lack of new items that appeal to me. Luckily they added the option to opt-out of paying import charges at the time of purchase as well, so I've been doing that for the few orders I've made since.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like I have to pick one up now!
I wonder how the Marling & Evans fabric compares. It's actually slightly lighter (290 vs. 320) and I personally quite like the somewhat flatter(?) appearance of its texture. (Mock Leno looks great though too.)

Anyone have insider knowledge on whether these fabrics are coming out in Non-Neo cut?

JTrent82

Reaction score
I wonder how the Marling & Evans fabric compares. It's actually slightly lighter (290 vs. 320) and I personally quite like the somewhat flatter(?) appearance of its texture. (Mock Leno looks great though too.)

Anyone have insider knowledge on whether these fabrics are coming out in Non-Neo cut?
I don't think I've ever seen them put out two different cuts of the same fabric, at least not it the same season. Sometimes an RTW fabric will show up in the MTO catalog though.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen them put out two different cuts of the same fabric, at least not it the same season. Sometimes an RTW fabric will show up in the MTO catalog though.
They definitely have. I know for a fact that they released both Neo and standard cuts in the same navy Guabello hopsack a few seasons back, as well as both standard and high-rise trousers for them. Even a waistcoat. Pretty sure I've seen it with other fabrics as well, but I can't remember specifics for any others.

I doubt they intend to release multiple cuts in these specific fabrics, though. Seems like they go for slightly cheaper workhorse fabrics that works as separates and casual suits if they're doing multiple cuts. The M&E and mock leno fits pretty neatly into their typical Neo cut selection, imo.

Last edited:

Rhodia

Reaction score

They definitely have. I know for a fact that they released both Neo and standard cuts in the same navy Guabello hopsack a few seasons back, as well as both standard and high-rise trousers for them. Even a waistcoat. Pretty sure I've seen it with other fabrics as well, but I can't remember specifics for any others.

I doubt they intend to release multiple cuts in these specific fabrics, though. Seems like they go for slightly cheaper workhorse fabrics that works as separates and casual suits if they're doing multiple cuts. The M&E and mock leno fits pretty neatly into their typical Neo cut selection, imo.
I think you're both right here. Common fabrics like VBC are often made up in both trouser models, for example. But the one-off/seasonal fabrics tend to be selected for one item only.

I did inquire with CS and they responded that they didn't know if the fabric would be made up in another model.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone purchased one of their dress or woven belts? Considering buying a few since I need to size up.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I think you're both right here. Common fabrics like VBC are often made up in both trouser models, for example. But the one-off/seasonal fabrics tend to be selected for one item only.

I did inquire with CS and they responded that they didn't know if the fabric would be made up in another model.
CS doesn't seem to know a lot these days. Fwiw I do remember now some fabrics having been made up in both SB and DB variants in the same season so maybe you're not out of luck.

Rhodia

Reaction score
CS doesn't seem to know a lot these days. Fwiw I do remember now some fabrics having been made up in both SB and DB variants in the same season so maybe you're not out of luck.
That's true. Although I think you're right that Neo and Traditional in the same fabric is unlikely. I don't mind the Neo but I prefer the Traditional lapel shape.

It would be useful if Spier offered a broad preview for each season, at least of the special pieces (apparently the M&E is a Japanese market fabric only a few North American retailers received).

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for those who ordered a chunky cardigan this past season: Did it arrive with tons of pilling? The one I just got has loose pilled fabric all over and it's a PITA trying to get it all off the sweater. Sadly, final sale so I'm stuck with it but wondering if it's a previous return?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads