• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greigescale

Reaction score
Bummer that you didn’t like the color, it looks great on you! Thanks for the photos, it helps a lot.

Did you take your normal sport jacket size?
Yup.

Though I can't speak to how it would fit with more substantial layering because I only tried it on with a sweater underneath.

epsilon22

Reaction score
I like the balmacaan without the belt, I wore it with the belt once, it kept bothering me when it starts to loosen (say, after sitting down and then standing back up) and I end up fussing over keeping the belt not sagging. Now I just wear it sans belt, but I didn't bother to remove the loops yet.

I don't have Spier sport coats, but I wear EU50 (US40) on Ring Jacket (The Armoury models), and I got size 42 for the balmacaan. Sleeves look a touch too long, maybe by a cm, but still acceptable, especially considering the casual nature of the coat.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the latest season models, the belt loops are positioned above the pockets so this issue appears to be resolved. I’m not sure if they raised the belt, or lowered the pockets. If the former, then that could be a relatively easy fix for yours.

Good to hear that.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tie my belt at the back, hence why the belt vs pocket issue doesn't bother me. The clean silhouette sans belt looks better to me. The belted look is just too IG looking to my eye. Almost looks like you're wearing a bath robe.

I almost always go for using the belt. It's just easy to tie it up and loosen it to open the coat. I layer well underneath so the buttons are moot for me.

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
I received the Minnis brown chalk stripe DB suit today. It is much darker and cooler of a color than the online pics would suggest. They make it almost seem like a warm medium brown. I would guess it’s a shade lighter than the chocolate flannel VBC suit from two seasons ago. I’ll post some pics in natural light soon next to the chocolate flannel suit. It’s a fairly heavy weight fabric, not sure what gm it is tho.. ;)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the Minnis brown chalk stripe DB suit today. It is much darker and cooler of a color than the online pics would suggest. They make it almost seem like a warm medium brown. I would guess it’s a shade lighter than the chocolate flannel VBC suit from two seasons ago. I’ll post some pics in natural light soon next to the chocolate flannel suit. It’s a fairly heavy weight fabric, not sure what gm it is tho.. ;)
This, I actually know...though that can only be attributed to my nerdiness.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
For work today:

S&M VBC charcoal flannel chalk stripe suit
S&M Giro Inglese dress shirt
E.G. Cappelli tie
Paolo Scafora oxfords

(The jacket sleeves have been tailored to perfection, but I went and wore a giant chunky watch that hung up my left shirt sleeve!)

S&M VBC Charcoal Suit.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to this as I need something to push me over.

classicoutfits

Reaction score

Keep us updated!

ZaneLim

Reaction score
I got the Minnis brown chalk stripe, as mentioned, it’s a lot darker than the photos allude to. The two close up photos are much closer to what the real color is.

Still contemplating if I should keep or return, I am not really sure where I will wear it to or how often I would wear it. And with alteration cost, I might be better off MTMing a navy chalk stripe instead, which has more utility. But this is a BEAUTIFUL cloth. If it has a place in your wardrobe, I would definitely recommend it.

I want to mention the lapel style. This suit is in the traditional style, which I was initially not a fan of. I like their standard better, maybe because it’s more common (silhouette looks quite similar to SuitSupply’s). But after seeing this lapel, I like how the collar is wider, which gives it a sportier look. I have an MTM DB jacket with the standard lapels in 5” coming next week, so I will share photos then and compare. But what do you guys think of this lapel?

Attachments

• IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7883.jpeg
    IMG_7883.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_7793.jpeg
    IMG_7793.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 283

CLH03

Reaction score
I got the Minnis brown chalk stripe, as mentioned, it’s a lot darker than the photos allude to. The two close up photos are much closer to what the real color is.

Still contemplating if I should keep or return, I am not really sure where I will wear it to or how often I would wear it. And with alteration cost, I might be better off MTMing a navy chalk stripe instead, which has more utility. But this is a BEAUTIFUL cloth. If it has a place in your wardrobe, I would definitely recommend it.

I want to mention the lapel style. This suit is in the traditional style, which I was initially not a fan of. I like their standard better, maybe because it’s more common (silhouette looks quite similar to SuitSupply’s). But after seeing this lapel, I like how the collar is wider, which gives it a sportier look. I have an MTM DB jacket with the standard lapels in 5” coming next week, so I will share photos then and compare. But what do you guys think of this lapel?
Looks awesome. I love the color

HughJ

Reaction score

This is unaltered? I must say, judging by these 2 pictures, this is a remarkably clean fit OTR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads