• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks ! that's helpful. To my eye, they pass as separate trousers, but I trust your real-life experience with the fabric.
What other gray options would you recommend? Ideally, I'm looking for gray/dark gray/charcoal, some texture but not overly bold, winter-weight.
Though I agree that they're not at all optimal for odd trews, no person in the real world is going to give it even a half second of thought if they see you in passing...including those who care about clothes/no about "the rules."

But, ya, you can do much better for wintery trousers.

SteveMc

Reaction score
The trousers in question is from Minnis Crown Classics bunch book. That's basically Minnis' book for formal worsted fabrics. The fabrics are intended for formal suits.

As for other options, the obvious choices imo would be either VBC charcoal covert twill or a heavier flannel, preferably +340-370g, imo. The former has a slight sheen, but nothing that would keep me away.

With regards to the latter, if you're both a suit and SC wearer like me, there are some great and cheap MTO flannel options for suits that can be broken up so the trousers can be worn separately. Obviously, that would run the risk of the trousers getting worn out before the jacket. But if you have the means, get two trousers. That's basically what I've done with all my gray flannel suits ranging from mid gray to charcoal. That way I have both a suit and odd trousers to be used with my SCs.

My personal favourite for FW suiting/odd trousers however, is fabric from Dugdale's English Town and Classics bunch book. The fabrics are heavy, around 435g, hard wearing (they'll last you a life time), drapes like an iron sheet, has some resemblance of flannel visually while not as variegated, looks more sober than flannel and holds a crease very well compared to flannel. The thing with flannel is, if you're looking for the specific look a woolen flannel offers, there's no substitute, ie the variegated effect. But the downside is that it doesn't hold a crease well relatively speaking, it'll sag at tension areas (some flannels more than others), ie knees, and it isn't the most durable fabric.

Spier doesn't carry Dugdale's English and Town Classics fabrics, nor are they available on the website. But they can be acquired through MTO.

View attachment 2097859 View attachment 2097861 View attachment 2097863 View attachment 2097865

Thanks that's super helpful.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Though I agree that they're not at all optimal for odd trews, no person in the real world is going to give it even a half second of thought if they see you in passing...including those who care about clothes/no about "the rules."

But, ya, you can do much better for wintery trousers.

Absolutely

milktoast

Reaction score
The trousers in question is from Minnis Crown Classics bunch book. That's basically Minnis' book for formal worsted fabrics. The fabrics are intended for formal suits.

As for other options, the obvious choices imo would be either VBC charcoal covert twill or a heavier flannel, preferably +340-370g, imo. The former has a slight sheen, but nothing that would keep me away.

With regards to the latter, if you're both a suit and SC wearer like me, there are some great and cheap MTO flannel options for suits that can be broken up so the trousers can be worn separately. Obviously, that would run the risk of the trousers getting worn out before the jacket. But if you have the means, get two trousers. That's basically what I've done with all my gray flannel suits ranging from mid gray to charcoal. That way I have both a suit and odd trousers to be used with my SCs.

My personal favourite for FW suiting/odd trousers however, is fabric from Dugdale's English Town and Classics bunch book. The fabrics are heavy, around 435g, hard wearing (they'll last you a life time), drapes like an iron sheet, has some resemblance of flannel visually while not as variegated, looks more sober than flannel and holds a crease very well compared to flannel. The thing with flannel is, if you're looking for the specific look a woolen flannel offers, there's no substitute, ie the variegated effect. But the downside is that it doesn't hold a crease well relatively speaking, it'll sag at tension areas (some flannels more than others), ie knees, and it isn't the most durable fabric.

Spier doesn't carry Dugdale's English and Town Classics fabrics, nor are they available on the website. But they can be acquired through MTO.

View attachment 2097859 View attachment 2097861 View attachment 2097863 View attachment 2097865
Curious - what size cuff do you go with on your trousers?

lindenbaum

Reaction score
Very lucky to have this maker in Toronto!

Abraham Moon Brown Herringbone / VBC Navy Flannel
DSC00484.jpg

Last edited:

zabo358

Reaction score
I am looking to grab some new work pants and am eyeing the high-rise side tab options. I only ever wear a dress shirt & dress pants to work. Will side tabs look out of place if I don't wear a jacket or tie?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put jacket on the back of my seat, so effectively that's what I do when walking around so I'm going to vote just fine, but then I'm the lazy type so if I don't have to wear belt, that's one less thing for me, and that's what I prefer...

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to grab some new work pants and am eyeing the high-rise side tab options. I only ever wear a dress shirt & dress pants to work. Will side tabs look out of place if I don't wear a jacket or tie?
I think it would look more out of place having belt loops and no belt than having side tabs and no jacket

schraiber

Reaction score
Anyone got a pair of high rise chinos recently? I got some from a couple years ago when the first dropped and they didn't match the measurements on the web site at all, so wondering if that's changed...

chiggyv

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by the Boxing Day sale email.
Perhaps I'm interpreting this wrong but would "Up to 25% SITEWIDE" not imply everything is on sale?

There's so many exclusions that for the first time in years I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a Boxing Day wardrobe refresh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads