• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLH03

Reaction score
Question for ya'll. I've got an older pair of Abraham Moon Navy Tweed trousers and have the hardest time styling a fit with them. They aren't herringbone like the current run here: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy-herringbone-8328-nt01

Besides a lighter neutral-colored shirt, any recs or tweed inspo links on what to wear up top?
Lavender shirt, light grey shirt, light blue obviously. Grey sport coat, grey sweater, etc. I wouldn’t overthink it. It’s a pair of blue pants.

Hovi

Reaction score
Lavender shirt, light grey shirt, light blue obviously. Grey sport coat, grey sweater, etc. I wouldn’t overthink it. It’s a pair of blue pants.
Appreciate the insight. I don't own a whole lot of tweed so I guess I battle with the tweed patterns in tops not meshing with the bottoms.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Question for ya'll. I've got an older pair of Abraham Moon Navy Tweed trousers and have the hardest time styling a fit with them. They aren't herringbone like the current run here: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy-herringbone-8328-nt01

Besides a lighter neutral-colored shirt, any recs or tweed inspo links on what to wear up top?
These would look great with a solid camel jacket imo. Or a mid gray barleycorn if you can find it. Many are more comfortable with pattern mixing than I am, but I would steer away from other patterns up top.

Rhodia

Reaction score
thanks for the response! Yes I was wearing a sportcoat under it. I could raise my arms up, but couldn't get much cross shoulder adduction, but this is more due to the actual sportcoat and not the jacket. I think I'm going to just brace the gut punch of a $600 credit card charge and order the 42R to test lol. Sadly that means this one has to stay in the closet with tags on for now.
Reviewing the Size Chart, I now see you are probably better off in the 42. The 40 is only 45.9" in the chest, which doesn't allow much room for an OCBD and a sportcoat.

rdstour

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever tried the Arctic Parka with the Rabbit Fur and all? It never goes on sale, disappears off the site after winter, and is only sold at full price.

It looks compelling, but the lack of firsthand accounts is a little troubling.

havingaraveup

Reaction score
Hi spier experts! I've fallen down a rabbit hole here looking for a wedding suit, and I read in a post by Rick back in 2020 that the Neo cut suits had gotten softer/lighter canvassing with different versions.

Does the Neo cut indeed have a lighter/softer style of chest canvas than the standard non-neo cut suits? I am hoping to do an MTO with a regular 2-button suit, but would love slightly less structure in the chest if that's an option.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever tried the Arctic Parka with the Rabbit Fur and all? It never goes on sale, disappears off the site after winter, and is only sold at full price.

I've also looked at it but the price point is too steep for me.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score

Tried it. Didn't like the fit.

To be fair though- I don't really care for Spier's more "technical" outerwear. If I'm going to wear a parka I'm going to reach for my fjallraven.

milktoast

Reaction score
Greetings all. I got the 40R Balmacaan recently. I think it fits properly, I put on a baselayer and arcteryx atom underneath it, and also tried a sportcoat. I had two questions

1. Should I try 42R? While it fits, it doesn't quite fit like a large oversized blanket the way the Drakes raglan coat fits me.

2. Wasn't terribly impressed with the warmth. When I stepped out in just this jacket over a light synthetic vest and flannel button down, I was pretty cold at 38F. That means it's not much warmer than my Barbour. Looking for a jacket that would do winter duty in Chicago.
View attachment 2095819 View attachment 2095821
Re: warmth - I felt the same way about my balmacaan (last year's donegal/herringbone), which I believe is lighter than yours and found that it was more comfortable to wear in colder weather if I layered more. The first few days I had it I just wore it over a shirt and merino wool sweater, but found that the combo wasn't suitable below about 38°F (in the northeast). I've started wearing it with a packable down vest over the sweater (plus a scarf) and can comfortably wear it until it reaches about 22°F. After that I just reach for my parka. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on much you're actually out in the elements. I usually take at least a 20 min. walk to and from the office during workdays and like to be comfortable during that time.
Honestly did expect it to be a bit warmer, but such is life I suppose.

NadalRG

Reaction score
Guys, any idea when they’ll be restocking their High Rise High Twist Wool trousers in charcoal and medium grey?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the antique green or dusted pink short sleeve polos? IT says they run small & I know in the past that the collars ran large ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads