• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased one of their "Red Label" very inexpensive (sale of $250) suits?
If so, impressions on fit, quality, etc.

TIA

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you find it tiring to constantly nag and jab a vendor in their affiliate thread given, among other reasons, they do not care to engage with you (or anyone to be fair) but also, because you appear to be a current customer?
You need to take a chill pill! There was a long back n forth as many here were not sure why the weights are not listed.

I did not say anything negative towards the question asked! I also stated to buy the trouser as they have a good return policy.

I just bought 6 sweaters the other day all at full price! I am yes a customer and on a public form sharing my views!

Harris Tweed and tailors topic was not Spier related or anything negative just like me saying to purchase these trousers.

St1X

Reaction score
Some heavy linens drape and hold the crease pretty well. But I have only one pair of trousers from Spence Bryson linen like that. Sold everything else as it didn't hold any shape an hour or two into wear ☹️

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
Greetings all. I got the 40R Balmacaan recently. I think it fits properly, I put on a baselayer and arcteryx atom underneath it, and also tried a sportcoat. I had two questions

1. Should I try 42R? While it fits, it doesn't quite fit like a large oversized blanket the way the Drakes raglan coat fits me.

2. Wasn't terribly impressed with the warmth. When I stepped out in just this jacket over a light synthetic vest and flannel button down, I was pretty cold at 38F. That means it's not much warmer than my Barbour. Looking for a jacket that would do winter duty in Chicago.
IMG_9025.jpg
IMG_9031.jpg

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
Have any of you purchased one of their "Red Label" very inexpensive (sale of $250) suits?
If so, impressions on fit, quality, etc.

TIA
1703170168283.png

This is my Navy red label. I bought it because it fit the budget. It is a 40R. I had to specially request 36 instead of 34 trousers. The thing I am least happy with is somehow the wool feels more plasticky and is a total lint magnet. I have both very cheap fabrics from overseas made to measure joints as well as higher end vintage fabrics from ebay. I have never experienced anything to this level. When natural sunlight hits this suit it just lights up with all the crud stuck on it if it wasn't immediately dry cleaned. For indoors and night time events it doesn't bother me.

TLDR: Not bad for $220 plus $30 alterations which I got it for.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Greetings all. I got the 40R Balmacaan recently. I think it fits properly, I put on a baselayer and arcteryx atom underneath it, and also tried a sportcoat. I had two questions

1. Should I try 42R? While it fits, it doesn't quite fit like a large oversized blanket the way the Drakes raglan coat fits me.

2. Wasn't terribly impressed with the warmth. When I stepped out in just this jacket over a light synthetic vest and flannel button down, I was pretty cold at 38F. That means it's not much warmer than my Barbour. Looking for a jacket that would do winter duty in Chicago.
View attachment 2095819 View attachment 2095821
Are you wearing a sportcoat underneath in this picture? If so, it seems to fit well. If not, you may be able to go up a size (although the sleeve length will perhaps need shortening). I would suggest that your sizing decision depends on how you're most often wearing it - casually or with a suit/sportcoat underneath.

As for weight, I believe 800gsm (which is about 23oz) is fairly standard for heavy winter coats. I've experienced cold winters, and layering (OCBD, sweater, tweed, then overcoat) is key.

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
Are you wearing a sportcoat underneath in this picture? If so, it seems to fit well. If not, you may be able to go up a size (although the sleeve length will perhaps need shortening). I would suggest that your sizing decision depends on how you're most often wearing it - casually or with a suit/sportcoat underneath.

As for weight, I believe 800gsm (which is about 23oz) is fairly standard for heavy winter coats. I've experienced cold winters, and layering (OCBD, sweater, tweed, then overcoat) is key.
thanks for the response! Yes I was wearing a sportcoat under it. I could raise my arms up, but couldn't get much cross shoulder adduction, but this is more due to the actual sportcoat and not the jacket. I think I'm going to just brace the gut punch of a $600 credit card charge and order the 42R to test lol. Sadly that means this one has to stay in the closet with tags on for now.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2095819 View attachment 2095821

What size sportcoat do you normally take?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40R very consistently including S&M
Same as me then in contemporary fit, I sized up on the balmacaan to 42 and happy with that decision, it’s slouchy and I think what you might be looking for. Knowing how a 42 now feels, I think a 40 would have been too tight across the upper back for me.

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
n contemporary fit
Same as me then in contemporary fit, I sized up on the balmacaan to 42 and happy with that decision, it’s slouchy and I think what you might be looking for. Knowing how a 42 now feels, I think a 40 would have been too tight across the upper back for me.
Thanks for the nudge! I feel the tightness the most in the cross arm adduction. I'm going to go with the 42.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thisandablunt