• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Anyone happen to purchase this Sportcoat? I believe it was from F22, but the fabric is still available via MTO.
1702148603767.png

Mr. Spectre

Reaction score
For anyone who has the Mac jacket, is it true to size? Should I get a size down if I don't intend on wearing it over a sc?
TIA

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Fit looks good on you. Did you get your sc size? Could you share your thoughts on how it fits when not wearing a sc under it?
Thank you. I'm a 38 cont / 40 slim in sports coats. All 38 S&M coats are too tight for layering, usually because the armpit and arm width is too small. I can't for the life of me figure out why they cut the coats so small there, but I digress.

I did extensive research before choosing size and ended up with 40. I expected it to be oversized, but for me the Ulster fits like normal. The reason for this is that I think S&M coats in general are cut quite slim, and I've only really noticed this after venturing into coats from other brands.

I also have a S&M double breasted overcoat in 40, and I'm not able to wear a thick shawl cardigan underneath with it, because the cut is so slim. With the Ulster I'm able to do it. Shetland sweater with a shirt underneath like in the picture is no problem. Haven't tried with a sports coat, but the shawl cardigan takes up more room than a sports coat anyway, so should be fine.

I still would have liked more room in the arms. Which is why I'll go 41 in my MTO Ulster. My own preference has changed over the years to a more roomy, comfortable fit, which I believe is more flattering anyway. At least on overcoats.

I wouldn't recommend sizing down on the Ulster, but people obviously have different preferences and body shape. My guess is people also have different understandings as to what their "true size" is, and therefore have different references for what sizing up or down means.

This ended up being a long post, but I was quite confused with the sizing advice I read here earlier, so hope this helps others thinking about picking up the Ulster.

PS: The Ulster is actually the only garment someone has stopped me on the street to compliment me on. I love it!

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm a 38 cont / 40 slim in sports coats. All 38 S&M coats are too tight for layering, usually because the armpit and arm width is too small. I can't for the life of me figure out why they cut the coats so small there, but I digress.

I did extensive research before choosing size and ended up with 40. I expected it to be oversized, but for me the Ulster fits like normal. The reason for this is that I think S&M coats in general are cut quite slim, and I've only really noticed this after venturing into coats from other brands.

I also have a S&M double breasted overcoat in 40, and I'm not able to wear a thick shawl cardigan underneath with it, because the cut is so slim. With the Ulster I'm able to do it. Shetland sweater with a shirt underneath like in the picture is no problem. Haven't tried with a sports coat, but the shawl cardigan takes up more room than a sports coat anyway, so should be fine.

I still would have liked more room in the arms. Which is why I'll go 41 in my MTO Ulster. My own preference has changed over the years to a more roomy, comfortable fit, which I believe is more flattering anyway. At least on overcoats.

I wouldn't recommend sizing down on the Ulster, but people obviously have different preferences and body shape. My guess is people also have different understandings as to what their "true size" is, and therefore have different references for what sizing up or down means.

This ended up being a long post, but I was quite confused with the sizing advice I read here earlier, so hope this helps others thinking about picking up the Ulster.

PS: The Ulster is actually the only garment someone has stopped me on the street to compliment me on. I love it!
I forgot the most important part. Fit pic for reference!
1702316110182.png

epsilon22

Reaction score
I just got the navy ulster (size 40), I'm thinking of returning it because it feels a bit too heavy for my usual commute in NYC. I spend more time in the subway than walking outdoors and the M&E fabric might be too warm for my use case.

I do like the coat, so I'm thinking of ordering one MTO, probably 40S would be better for me (176cm, 5'9"). Does anyone have recommendations for a lighter weight navy overcoat fabric, maybe between 500-600g? There are some Abraham Moon twill/herringbone but they're quite a bit more expensive than the rest ($1.2k). The unbranded 85/15 wool/cashmere would cost me below $800 for an ulster, if anyone has experience with it, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Edit: @DonRaphael, doing a bit of digging, it seems like you ordered an MTO ulster with the wool/cashmere fabric some time ago? How do you find it in terms of drape and durability?

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when is that belted overcoat hitting the shelves?

Reaction score
What do you guys wear in peacoats? I fit well into a 38r slim for the neo cut. I was grabbing same 38 in the peacoat
I'm a 36S in sportscoats/suits and I ordered a 38S in a peacoat. It's definitely a little more snug than I thought it would be. I can wear it over a jacket, but ideally could've used a little extra room in the chest/waist. Wearing it over chunky sweaters and layers makes it less snug, of course, so depending what you plan to wear it over, you might want to size up to 40.

zurich64

Reaction score
I just got the navy ulster (size 40), I'm thinking of returning it because it feels a bit too heavy for my usual commute in NYC. I spend more time in the subway than walking outdoors and the M&E fabric might be too warm for my use case.

I do like the coat, so I'm thinking of ordering one MTO, probably 40S would be better for me (176cm, 5'9"). Does anyone have recommendations for a lighter weight navy overcoat fabric, maybe between 500-600g? There are some Abraham Moon twill/herringbone but they're quite a bit more expensive than the rest ($1.2k). The unbranded 85/15 wool/cashmere would cost me below $800 for an ulster, if anyone has experience with it, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Edit: @DonRaphael, doing a bit of digging, it seems like you ordered an MTO ulster with the wool/cashmere fabric some time ago? How do you find it in terms of drape and durability?
I have one of these in about 500g.

500g coat

Mostly it works in up to -10 Degrees with a suit jacket underneath. I would go for the heavier S&M version if I want a multipurpose coat that can handle colder weather. You can always leave the front open if it is not too cold. Personally, on really cold days, I put on a heavy parka above my jacket.

Or go for full cashmere for the feeling of lighter weight. May cost a bit more but overcoats are a long-term investment. I have one full cashmere single-breasted overcoat that I wear most, 1-3 times a week, in winter from November to March.

epsilon22

Reaction score
I have one of these in about 500g.

500g coat

Mostly it works in up to -10 Degrees with a suit jacket underneath. I would go for the heavier S&M version if I want a multipurpose coat that can handle colder weather. You can always leave the front open if it is not too cold. Personally, on really cold days, I put on a heavy parka above my jacket.

Or go for full cashmere for the feeling of lighter weight. May cost a bit more but overcoats are a long-term investment. I have one full cashmere single-breasted overcoat that I wear most, 1-3 times a week, in winter from November to March.
Thanks, I'm thinking something in the 500g range should suffice for my commute, since that's what I've been wearing since last year (I used to live in Singapore so not much experience with the cold).

I did consider cashmere, but for my first long coat I'd stick to something cheaper until I know how I like them (length, collar shape/size, pockets, and all the details) before going for a more expensive option.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm much like you, I don't spend too much time out in the cold, so I don't require an overly heavy overcoat although I wouldn't mind it. The wool/cashmere blend works great for thet purpose. Drape is excellent, nothing to complain about. Overall, I'm very satisfied for the price. So much so, I'm considering having a charcoal version made up soon.

I am however considering selling my navy wool/cashmere blend Ulster. So if someone missed out on last year's iteration, feel free to DM me.

Last edited:

Rbpp

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the corduroy down vest (probably from last year)? If so what do you think about the fit, quality and how do you wear it?

Click821

Reaction score
I'm a 36S in sportscoats/suits and I ordered a 38S in a peacoat. It's definitely a little more snug than I thought it would be. I can wear it over a jacket, but ideally could've used a little extra room in the chest/waist. Wearing it over chunky sweaters and layers makes it less snug, of course, so depending what you plan to wear it over, you might want to size up to 40.
Awesome, thank you so much for the feedback. This is great. I think I'll likely wear it over some casual layers like sweaters, tshirts and dress shirts so that's great to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads