• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Not a critique of the Giro shirt (I haven't measured and don't care to, though I feel safe saying it's well within whatever the margin tolerance is), but it feels slimmer, particularly through the arms than my other SM shirts. Admittedly, those are all linen/linen blends, which likely makes sense.
IRT functionality, this doesn't bother me, but it is plenty sheer. I think if you're dark skinned/well tanned or very hairy, you might be a bitttttt skittish about the see through factor.
As well, if you're in a quasi-conservative profession/office culture (do people still go into office?), I definitely would not wear unless you're keeping your jacket on all day.
It's a very neat shirt, and would recommend, but a few hopefully worthwhile caveats.
I ordered one of the Madras shirts this season and also noticed a slimmer fit compared to my Italian buttondown OCBD from Fall. The Madras is my first "sport shirt" so I'm unsure if this is standard or not.

Both are Contemporary 16.5. The Madras is also a lighter, thinner fabric. It's wearable (and great for hot weather), but definitely snugger across the back than I prefer and certainly slimmer (as per @ericgereghty through the arms) in general than the same size in a different fabrication.

Last edited:

JHud

Reaction score
I’ve never had cuffs on suit pants before but I’m giving it a shot. Should I do 1.75 or 2 inch?

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything Less-Than 2.5 Is A Crime... :cool:

1 (3).jpg

20201016_153204.jpg

20201017_215945.jpg

20201021_175927.jpg

20201016_153612.jpg

It Balances your Lapels!

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I’ve never had cuffs on suit pants before but I’m giving it a shot. Should I do 1.75 or 2 inch?

My tailor prefers 1.75" for suits and dress trousers, but 2" for more casual trousers.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'9 and do 1.5 inches on my Chino. I'll measure my old suit to see what they did last time. I haven't worn that suit in 4 years. Thanks for the reminder.

Iay try 1.75 on another pair of Chino but I really don't think there is a big difference between that and 1.5 inches

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, just on feel test (as mentioned, don't care enough to measure and it isn't overly problematic on my end) this season's shirts are cut distinctly slimmer than previous. My slim linen shirts feel more like extra slims of yesteryear...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed- and yet the contemporary still fits me like a mumu.
There's a definite difference, I'd say. My new linen shirt (unwashed so presumably with as much baked in shrinkage allowance as you would expect) is slimmer across the shoulders/chest and through the arms than my well washed one from last year.

Dorian_Gray

Reaction score
There's a definite difference, I'd say. My new linen shirt (unwashed so presumably with as much baked in shrinkage allowance as you would expect) is slimmer across the shoulders/chest and through the arms than my well washed one from last year.

This makes me think of the size naming consolidation notion raised earlier in this thread. Is it possible that Spier is predominantly re-naming fits?

New slim = old ESF
Contemp = old slim
Classic = old contemp (for instance?)

All of the above, possibly with minor fit modifications from the old measurements.

If so, this would lead to a great deal of confusion as old product is phased out….it would be handy if someone @spiermackay commented!

Blondie87

Reaction score
putting together a MTO suit order and i’ve been figuring out sizes and features I want… what are the pros and cons of functioning/surgeon cuffs? I have my sleeve length down pretty close so i don’t think i’d need any major sleeve alterations

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads