• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Having issues with SM flannel and oxford cloth shirts shrinking (a lot).
I did a machine wash cold, and let them air dry. Are all their shirts dry clean only?
I usually go for a 15.5/33 slim.

SM has had issues with (over)shrinking across most of their machine washable stuff over multiple seasons. I've mostly had good luck, but I've also had about three items shrink to the point of being unwearable. It's kind of a roll of the dice, but I think the value proposition generally makes it worth the gamble.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am probably in the minority here, but would love to see more high rise trousers minus pleats (with or without side tabs). Talking about dress pants not the casual ones they recently did this with. Just a personal preference. Others that are team pleats on this thread look great.
I think this makes more sense actually. Belts are more casual in today's world, and that's often what I need.

I bought the covert twill in high rise and had the waist taken in a smidge, so I can tighten it a bit with the side tabs as needed.

Now that I do this, my hips look ENORMOUS. If I loosen the side tabs, then the pants become too loose.

I can't be the only one who can get pretty bloated throughout the day, and I felt belts to be the most adjustable compared to side tabs.

MellonC

Reaction score
How do you guys do exchanges when supplies are tight? Before Covid, I'd simply call and tell him/her that the return shipment is on the way with a tracking number to prove it. They would simply pull the item from stock right there and send it to me (in case the item goes out of stock by the time the return shipment got there). Now, there is a problem. First, there is no phone conversation. Second, even the email responses take 2 to 3 days. To top it off, they tell me that they can only send out the replacement after they receive it in there warehouse. The whole ordeal, (I'm in West Coast while they are in Toronto) takes like 3 weeks.....

The other option is to order something right away and eventually sent the existing one (that you don't like) back for a full refund..........alas, refunds take like 6 weeks!

A local brooks brothers store with sales associates looking mighty attractive right now...

Brennenman

Reaction score
I think this makes more sense actually. Belts are more casual in today's world, and that's often what I need.

I bought the covert twill in high rise and had the waist taken in a smidge, so I can tighten it a bit with the side tabs as needed.

Now that I do this, my hips look ENORMOUS. If I loosen the side tabs, then the pants become too loose.

I can't be the only one who can get pretty bloated throughout the day, and I felt belts to be the most adjustable compared to side tabs.
Thats funny because im the exact opposite i like the side tabs more because with the belts I used to own it was either to much or two little with the adjustments throughout the day. I think it really depends on each body type and personal preference, I actually don’t own a single dress belt come to think of it

Nonchalance.shop

Reaction score
For those of you who own a Spier & Mackay parka, how comfortable and natural do you find using the chest pockets?

My current parka from North Face has hand pockets near the hips--where Spier has the flap pockets--and, so, I am a bit concerned about having the hand pockets that high.

This parka is significantly better looking than North Face's and more reasonably priced! Only that one concern before I purchase.

View attachment 1703931

i'll receive it in 7 days, i'll let you know.
Btw i own a vintage Aquascutum Duffle coat and the chest pockets is very confortable. But they are low on chest.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do exchanges when supplies are tight? Before Covid, I'd simply call and tell him/her that the return shipment is on the way with a tracking number to prove it. They would simply pull the item from stock right there and send it to me (in case the item goes out of stock by the time the return shipment got there). Now, there is a problem. First, there is no phone conversation. Second, even the email responses take 2 to 3 days. To top it off, they tell me that they can only send out the replacement after they receive it in there warehouse. The whole ordeal, (I'm in West Coast while they are in Toronto) takes like 3 weeks.....

The other option is to order something right away and eventually sent the existing one (that you don't like) back for a full refund..........alas, refunds take like 6 weeks!

A local brooks brothers store with sales associates looking mighty attractive right now...

I'm West Coast As Well, I Feel Your Pain, Reduced Staffing, Lockdowns, But Brooks Brothers Isn't Going Too Make Me Feel Better. Padded Shoulders And 3 Inch Lapels Is Not Going To Work For Me, I Can't See S$M And BB In The Same Closet, My Returns (Few) Take 1.5 weeks, Refund Within A Day Or Two Of Recieving Return Item. I Think It's More About Relationships, I Own A Lot Of S$M, I Shoot An Email, They Respond within 48 Hrs, Refund, 6 Weeks? You Need To Turn To (S$M) IG, Again (imho) I Feel Your Pain... :fonz:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I greatly prefer belt loops. I like the ability to add to the fit with a belt. If we're talking suits, I'm fine with side tabs, but with odd trousers and a sport coat I think the ability to include an interesting belt is a feature, not a bug.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I greatly prefer belt loops. I like the ability to add to the fit with a belt. If we're talking suits, I'm fine with side tabs, but with odd trousers and a sport coat I think the ability to include an interesting belt is a feature, not a bug.
With That Said, I Love A Good Suede Belt Anytime! :fonz:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
71CEEA97-8B80-4CAC-8CB0-35B6D18EA2AC.jpeg
Oatmeal sweatshirt Merino sweater

dapperedhoo

Reaction score
Hey guys—I promised some pics of the new Chambray shirts when they arrived. Unfortunately, will need to exchange as the note added to the description post purchase was accurate. Definitely needed to size 1/2 size up. That was frustrating. Any shrinkage and these would be unwearable. First time ordering shirts from Spier. Quality seems great. Love the collar. 6F48FDEE-75BD-47C0-8D3E-0074027E55EE.jpeg C27AF7A5-424E-45B5-B5FD-60E96C84CA0F.jpeg BD949C6F-573D-4EA3-A673-66EB0A237C1F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonsmit.5555