• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up the navy donegal suit and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as to what the upper limit of formality/occasions would be? I figured it will be a good fit for nice dates, occasionally for work (business casual environment), and other semi formal engagements in the cooler months. Essentially I would treat it like I would a light grey or lighter blue suit. I appreciate any insight

It's a casual suit that can be worn as separates. I wouldn't wear it to an interview, board meeting or anything that needs you look the status quo. But for a date, meeting with friends at a classy restaurant or bar or semi-formal occasions, it's perfect.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another long shot ask... Wondering if anyone has any swatches or leftover cloth scraps of this trouser: VBC - Light Gray Houndstooth Flannel? I ask because I purchased these trousers a couple of months ago and I want to add side tabs to them. My tailor has already altered them months ago and I doubt he still has the remaining cloth, so I'm trying to source matching cloth to add the side tabs. Any info or recommendations folks could provide would be helpful. I’ve also included a picture of the cloth in question.
E5E29698-669B-44D2-B9F5-AD5F02E94A73.jpeg

Spyder187

Reaction score
Beautiful. I was considering this suit for so long. I was thinking of sizing up one from like contemporary to the next size up slim due to the more stiff fabric. Any thoughts?

The caramel cord suit is really fantastic. A great color in person, less shine than the Brisbane Moss stuff used in the past, and the smaller wale is a welcome change.

View attachment 1532743

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another long shot ask... Wondering if anyone has any swatches or leftover cloth scraps of this trouser: VBC - Light Gray Houndstooth Flannel? I ask because I purchased these trousers a couple of months ago and I want to add side tabs to them. My tailor has already altered them months ago and I doubt he still has the remaining cloth, so I'm trying to source matching cloth to add the side tabs. Any info or recommendations folks could provide would be helpful. I’ve also included a picture of the cloth in question. View attachment 1532875

I have these, Lovely! Now you have me thinking Sidetabs in Black Flannel on these!

Thoughts?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another long shot ask... Wondering if anyone has any swatches or leftover cloth scraps of this trouser: VBC - Light Gray Houndstooth Flannel? I ask because I purchased these trousers a couple of months ago and I want to add side tabs to them. My tailor has already altered them months ago and I doubt he still has the remaining cloth, so I'm trying to source matching cloth to add the side tabs. Any info or recommendations folks could provide would be helpful. I’ve also included a picture of the cloth in question. View attachment 1532875
Have you tried emailing S&M for the fabric code to see if you can source some fabric?
Beautiful. I was considering this suit for so long. I was thinking of sizing up one from like contemporary to the next size up slim due to the more stiff fabric. Any thoughts?
I think cotton will break in with wear, so I would say stick to same size. However, I never really owned a cotton SC, so could be wrong on this one

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The caramel cord suit is really fantastic. A great color in person, less shine than the Brisbane Moss stuff used in the past, and the smaller wale is a welcome change.

View attachment 1532743
I wish these less shiny cords replaced the Moss ones. Shiny cords just seem like an oxymoron in a wardrobe.

How thick and warm are the pants compared to the Moss?

loaferman

Reaction score
Yes, based on how big these discounts are, it looks like S&M had a disappointing number of orders during the last couple of months. And the low sales volume was probably even worse for sportcoats, given the sport coat liquidation, a number of days of inventory offline, etc.

I hope this liquidation sale turns out well for S&M.

(I think I'm only trying to convince myself to order another sport coat :lol: )

Chances are they are taking a huge financial hit on rent cost at their Toronto store due to the lockdown.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
Man I keep eyeing that Cerruti Blue & Brown Check Sportcoat even though I know I probably shouldn’t get it. I want a winter sport coat, and was holding out for a Harris Tweed or a brown herringbone or something, but idk if I should pull the trigger on this one or not. Seems to be a good fabric for both dressing up or dressing down
You are not alone in looking at it. Its a really good looking fabric. Have you seen this vid of it?
Blue brown check:

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these, Lovely! Now you have me thinking Sidetabs in Black Flannel on these!

Thoughts?
Hmm... That could be an option. I can check with my tailor to see if he has any solid flannel swatches that would harmonize with the color/pattern to make them.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried emailing S&M for the fabric code to see if you can source some fabric?

I think cotton will break in with wear, so I would say stick to same size. However, I never really owned a cotton SC, so could be wrong on this one
I asked them earlier today, but pressed them a bit more about the fabric code. Thanks for the suggestion.

wildcat10

Reaction score
Man I keep eyeing that Cerruti Blue & Brown Check Sportcoat even though I know I probably shouldn’t get it. I want a winter sport coat, and was holding out for a Harris Tweed or a brown herringbone or something, but idk if I should pull the trigger on this one or not. Seems to be a good fabric for both dressing up or dressing down
It looks beautiful, you can wear it with brown, with gray, with navy, with jeans. It also looks more versatile than a heavy harris tweed. I'm glad it's not available in my size.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
It looks beautiful, you can wear it with brown, with gray, with navy, with jeans. It also looks more versatile than a heavy harris tweed. I'm glad it's not available in my size.
Agreed. In my closet I probably would get more wears of of this than the brown houndtooth I went ahead and purchased. I may have to grab this ONLY if my size is still available at the end of the sale. The wallet is hurting over here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads