• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamie411

Reaction score
It's the exact same cloth. you can make a suit from it.

Might want to change the description since the trousers note they are Super 110, and the jacket is Super 120. Also a note on each the jacket and trouser page indicating they can be paired as a suit would be a good idea.

I may have to add the trousers to my jacket purchase...

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moleskin while we wait for Neapolitan sport coats.

Dark brown and camel. The camel in particular is much better looking in person. It’s more a typical khaki or camel tone. The website pics on my devices are a bit saturated looking and make it look like it has a bit of yellow undertone. I suspect these are both going to get a lot of wear.

View attachment 868322

Burzan, if you had a sport coat in exactly the same dark brown color as the trousers on the left, which of the current SM flannel and/or moleskin trouser colors would be good matches for it?

Burke

Reaction score
Flannel trousers are up now: https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/apparel/trousers.html

These are the new VBC flannels. We kept them simple this year. No strange colours, just staples. The navy, as requested, just a hair on the brighter side of a true, deep navy.

Hold on, just noticed the Navy is not up...stand by.

Rick is the vbc blue houndstooth the navy you are referring to above or is the navy still to be posted?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burzan, if you had a sport coat in exactly the same dark brown color as the trousers on the left, which of the current SM flannel and/or moleskin trouser colors would be good matches for it?

These are the first ones that come to mind.

Moleskin: lovat, camel, new lovat

Flannel: light brown, light grey

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the first ones that come to mind.

Moleskin: lovat, camel, new lovat

Flannel: light brown, light grey

Thanks! I found more photos of both light gray and light brown:
http://pantalons-scavini.fr/collect...anelle.html#/3-taille-38/5-couleur-gris_clair
http://pantalons-scavini.fr/collect...nelle.html#/3-taille-38/9-couleur-blanc_casse

They call the second color "creme" or "egg shell".
s3-pantalon-de-flanelle.jpg

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a few packages from S&M today. Pretty excited to see all of the new stuff after reading about and anticipating it for several weeks. A few observations;

1) The duffel coat is nice. Based on suggestions here I sized up so that I could wear it over a suit or sportcoat. The arms are super long and it's pretty liberally cut so I think I'll size back down. Also, they shipped me the wrong color (black instead of navy) which I am sure they will take care of. Also, I'm not a fan of the zipper. For a heavy weight coat the zipper is quite whimpy. Not a deal breaker but something to consider an upgrade on next run.

2) The new Neopolitan suit is very nice. I got the medium gray and fabric is quite nice and soft. The cut of the coat is great and the option to size down the trousers is appreciated. This said, the size of the pocket flaps seems a bit large. Maybe thats the style but they seem to be a bit large for my liking. I can't wait to get it altered down to size.

3) The new E Thomas light blue check sportcoat is amazing. The fabric is super soft and luxurious. The cut of the coat with the patch pockets is awesome. My only challenge is what to style it with. Any suggestions on what color trousers or chinos?

4) I also picked up a pair of the royal blue trousers. These are super nice. A great value!

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
2) The new Neopolitan suit is very nice. I got the medium gray and fabric is quite nice and soft. The cut of the coat is great and the option to size down the trousers is appreciated. This said, the size of the pocket flaps seems a bit large. Maybe thats the style but they seem to be a bit large for my liking. I can't wait to get it altered down to size.

It was definitely intentional and I like the large pocket flaps on my S&M Neapolitan jackets. I recall the item description on the old S&M website (for the first version of Neapolitan suits) mentioning that the larger flaps are in keeping proportion with the wider lapels. Looks like they left that part out of the current product description.

Anyway, you might come to like the larger pocket flaps. I look now at the "standard" flaps on some suits I've had made by other MTM makers, and they definitely look too small when considering lapel width and even the 2" cuffs I like on trousers.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the store weekend and tried on the slub and tweed sportcoats in slim. I was very impressed with them and they fit great in 40 (just would need to bring in the waist a touch).

But seeing the conversations here I wanted to ask if the new Neapolitan coats fit different or would be the same size? I'm still trying to learn the various offerings/styles.

mrpaul

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on these new sportcoat fabrics (tweeds, slubs, and flannel). Do they maintain shape in the elbow and resist pilling for a workhorse type sportcoat? If these thick fabrics are like my wool sweaters, I think they will pill after a season of wear.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on these new sportcoat fabrics (tweeds, slubs, and flannel). Do they maintain shape in the elbow and resist pilling for a workhorse type sportcoat? If these thick fabrics are like my wool sweaters, I think they will pill after a season of wear.

The tweeds are hard wearing and will be fine. The slubs are not really meant to be "workhose" fabrics but shouldn't bag at the elbow. They are 60% silk, one of the strongest and most resilient fabrics.

tnjed

Reaction score
Rick - Just fyi that the navy shadow check has extra photos of a different trouser.

This said, the size of the pocket flaps seems a bit large. Maybe thats the style but they seem to be a bit large for my liking. I can't wait to get it altered down to size.

How do you alter pocket flaps? Or are you talking about the suit as a whole?

Rick is the vbc blue houndstooth the navy you are referring to above or is the navy still to be posted?

I had the same question. Or is the navy posted as the Guabello Bright Navy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads