• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milktoast

Reaction score
These two year wash jeans came in today.

They’re 30 slim, which is my usual spier and mackay trouser size.

I’m about 5’9”, 155-160 pounds.
How are you liking them?

Side bar: I chuckled reading S&M's email trying to promote the wonders of Blake Stitched shoes. Love the brand, but we all know GYW is the way to go.

tmckay2

Reaction score
How are you liking them?

Side bar: I chuckled reading S&M's email trying to promote the wonders of Blake Stitched shoes. Love the brand, but we all know GYW is the way to go.
That actually depends. Do you want more waterproofing and easier fixing, or lighter weight and profile? Blake stitching is a compromise because it's harder to resole but still doable but results in a lower profile sole. I know people that prefer both types just depends what they are looking for

tmckay2

Reaction score
Anyone know what type of shorts to look for from spier if you want lightweight but not pure linen? I've got their regular chino cotton shorts and they're fine but a bit heavy for the hot months. I like their garment dyed cotton linen pants material but I don't see that specifically in shorts.

apolloali

Reaction score
Is the Neo cut any trimmer in the waist than a contemporary? I like the shoulder and chest of a 44 but a little slim in the middle for me... I tried a 46 Neo, and it was great in chest, too big in shoulders, and somehow still too narrow in the button area.

CMAc7

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we are getting a restock on the belts? Would really like a suede belt in both dark brown and snuff in size 34, but not sure if they are coming back.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Is the Neo cut any trimmer in the waist than a contemporary? I like the shoulder and chest of a 44 but a little slim in the middle for me... I tried a 46 Neo, and it was great in chest, too big in shoulders, and somehow still too narrow in the button area.

As always, look to the size chart Spier has posted for each garment, as it changes occasionally from season to season.

That said, I'm in your boat... the one 46R I tried fit a little big in the chest, but fine, great in the waist, but was a bit big (but maybe doable) in the shoulders. 44Rs in contemporary and Neo fit fine in the shoulders/chest and it's always a toss up whether I'll need to let out the waist or not. In my case, there's never been a case where there isn't enough material to make them look good, it's just frustrating that some come tight and some come loose when they're both in the same size/fit.

apolloali

Reaction score
As always, look to the size chart Spier has posted for each garment, as it changes occasionally from season to season.

That said, I'm in your boat... the one 46R I tried fit a little big in the chest, but fine, great in the waist, but was a bit big (but maybe doable) in the shoulders. 44Rs in contemporary and Neo fit fine in the shoulders/chest and it's always a toss up whether I'll need to let out the waist or not. In my case, there's never been a case where there isn't enough material to make them look good, it's just frustrating that some come tight and some come loose when they're both in the same size/fit.
I had checked the waist measurements online and they seemed identical between the cuts, but I suppose I don't have the measurements of my old hopsack grey jacket to compare to the green olive herringbone neo cut.

EDIT: I checked because the hopsack listing is up, they are supposed to be the same between those cuts. so a 46R should have 1.5 more inches in the waist than a 44R

But youre right, it's true. of my two 44rs, one is too tight to wear (even while let out) still and the other is pretty decent. i think it just seems like neo 2 is not my cut since i still like my 44rs better even with the waist situation. maybe ill try a 46R contemporary next time. i really want to love this brand but i struggle so much with the sizing.

that being said the linen/cotton shirt i got was nice, so was the red seersucker and the high twist contemporaries grey trousers are def the best ive gotten from spier. wish they did fuller leg options

Last edited:

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Can anyone who has previously purchased a Shetland sweater from S&M (brushed, regular, and/or cable knit) share their thoughts on how they are liking it?
I have bought one of their sleeveless shetland cardigans last season and it's great. I got one in orange. Nice texture, nice thickness, not scratchy to me
I have one brushed and one regular from last season and I adore them. The regular isn't scratchy to me and the fit is great over a plain under shirt, plus I don't find myself sweating much (and I run hot). Can't wait to buy a couple more colors this year honestly.
Can anyone who has previously purchased a Shetland sweater from S&M (brushed, regular, and/or cable knit) share their thoughts on how they are liking it?
I bought the orange sleeveless shetland cardigan last winter and I think it's great. The color looks great, nice thickness, and feels good. Not scratchy, fits nicely. I'm a size 38 and bought a medium. I bought the tundra color in the recent sale. Looking forward to having another.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
@SpierTeam Can you tell me if there are any tweed hunting jackets in the works? I liked the pocket configuration on last year's better, but it lacked the action back that was present on previous iterations. Those gussets are a necessity on a proper hunting jacket imo. I would ask if it's coming to the updated MTO system, but somehow I know better than to expect gusseted shoulders from MTO. Thanks!
We will be getting Tweed Hunting jackets for our FW season this year but unfortunately at this time, I'm not familiar with the specific details. I do know some will have action back, some will not. However, I'm not sure exactly which ones. It will be eventually coming to MTO but the pattern for the hunting jackets will take time so it will not be coming in the near future.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
Hi @SpierTeam, bit of a silly question: but is there an option for additional handwork when it comes to MTM?
Currently the only handwork option is the button stitching. This may be available later on down the road.

KlarkKent

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to wear pleated, high waist side-tab pants in a business casual environment? Particularly the kind with no belt loops like the SM high waisted line (pic 1). I really like the classic silhouette of these type of pants. However, jackets are not often worn in the office and I fear these would look off without a jacket. Do I risk looking goofy? I would wear them with a standard button up, oxford cloth or something with a semi-spread collar. If this isn’t acceptable, would that still be the case if belt loops were included, like some of the Berle pants (pic 2)? View attachment 2242557 View attachment 2242559
Side tabs look a bit fancy that's all. No one will blink.

Ignore that comment to wear an odd vest tho unless you're British.

KlarkKent

Reaction score
Anyone know what type of shorts to look for from spier if you want lightweight but not pure linen? I've got their regular chino cotton shorts and they're fine but a bit heavy for the hot months. I like their garment dyed cotton linen pants material but I don't see that specifically in shorts.
I really enjoy my tonal seersuckers.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlawton89