• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's fit is not the most coherent. I had initially planned to wear the bottle green Minnis. My second choice was the brown/navy micro houndstooth, but after having discovered a QC issue with both jackets which I will refer to when I get in touch with CS later I threw this taupe/brown/blue check on. The kiddo wasn't doing me any favours either to say the least. I think it worked out OK after all.
IMG_20210707_080340.jpg
IMG_20210707_080702.jpg
IMG_20210707_081939.jpg
IMG_20210707_080348_edit_473725034975630.jpg

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a sleeper. I've not seen it posted on here. Looking forward to wearing it once I get it back from the tailor. I think @MrFingers posted comparison shots of the two, but here you go. These pics are pretty accurate taken under natural light (L Cerrutti, R E. Thomas). Bonus pics of the brown gun check as well.
View attachment 1635414 View attachment 1635415 View attachment 1635416 View attachment 1635417 View attachment 1635418
thanks for posting those photos

Austinjhutch

Reaction score
Picking up three pairs of linen pants from the good folks at Stanton Tailor Shop today. Nothing like hot july weather and fresh linen trousers fellas. All 3 pairs 34 W, Slim Cut. I tried the S&M Green Linen pants on at the shop and the thigh was a little tight but they still had tags on and everything, so I reckon they'll loosen up and fit pretty nicely. I'll get a couple contemporary pairs too at some point, I'm just tall and skinny and never sure how loose a regular fit is gonna look on me. In my mind, I am Cosmo Kramer, but who knows, in reality I could look like I listen to a lot of They Might Be Giants and work as a substitute teacher. Anyway, maybe i'll get some pics today. I have never even bought high-waisted slacks before and I have a really high waistline, so I am just excited in general to rock high waisted pleats on the reg. I don't really wear blazers, but gonna try pairing with tucked-in casual linen shirts + suede shoes the rest of the summer. Who knows when WFH will end, but until then I am gonna dial it to about 1983 or the wardrobe of the blonde guy in the movie Last Days of Disco.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Picking up three pairs of linen pants from the good folks at Stanton Tailor Shop today. Nothing like hot july weather and fresh linen trousers fellas. All 3 pairs 34 W, Slim Cut. I tried the S&M Green Linen pants on at the shop and the thigh was a little tight but they still had tags on and everything, so I reckon they'll loosen up and fit pretty nicely. I'll get a couple contemporary pairs too at some point, I'm just tall and skinny and never sure how loose a regular fit is gonna look on me. In my mind, I am Cosmo Kramer, but who knows, in reality I could look like I listen to a lot of They Might Be Giants and work as a substitute teacher. Anyway, maybe i'll get some pics today. I have never even bought high-waisted slacks before and I have a really high waistline, so I am just excited in general to rock high waisted pleats on the reg. I don't really wear blazers, but gonna try pairing with tucked-in casual linen shirts + suede shoes the rest of the summer. Who knows when WFH will end, but until then I am gonna dial it to about 1983 or the wardrobe of the blonde guy in the movie Last Days of Disco.
I read this while I was still half asleep and I had never been so confused in this thread. Glad you like them tho lol

conak

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Dark Grey Glen Check fabric F241033/5-MTO-S in MTO? I think I've nailed my SM MTO fit with cotton, but worsted is much less forgiving, so I'm looking to start with the least investment. Anyone able to comment on this cloth?

siddeh

Reaction score
some recent Spier outfits, with apologies for non-SF level image quality:

Drago doeskin flannel neo, mid-brown fresco trousers (shirt and tie also S&M). Was very happy to pick up the Guabello hopsack a few weeks ago and put this this coat away for the summer.

View attachment 1635363

Italian button-down denim shirt. Big fan.

View attachment 1635365

Drago wool linen hopsack with mid-grey fresco trousers and lightweight OCBD. SC was an absolute steal in the recent sale.

View attachment 1635366

Navy fresco neo suit (2018?) my introduction to S&M, standard OCBD

View attachment 1635364

Haven't seen your pics in forever. Hopefully Law school went/is going well and we're in for more fit pics!

conak

Reaction score
Full Canvas Upgrade promo is running - I have a few questions on fabrics...

Does anybody have long-term experience with the Irish Linen & Quest Cotton from Minnis?
Would either of them happen to fade or feature wrinkles over time?
Can they be worn a bit rough, casually, and be washed as needed?

I would prefer a fabric that does feature the above - as I would like to get a suit or separates (2 patch pockets & high waist trousers) to use as a very casual beater suit - in black.

Quest is new in the SM lineup, so I doubt you'll find much long-term experience with it in this thread. I recently received an MTO Quest suit, though, so I can speak in ultra-near-term about it.... It's cotton, so I would expect it to fade with time, especially in darker shades. When I was researching a bit before my order, I did find this shot below of someone with fairly worn Quest trousers and it does look like it will fade as expected. One thing of note given your mentioning linen, though, is that while everyone speaks of Quest as a summer fabric, I was suspicious of that given the weight and ordered it expecting it to be a shoulder-season suit. I think my expectation was accurate, and I can't imagine wearing it in summer heat the way I would a linen. It is a great fabric, though. It's robust and has a bit of natural stretch, which makes it perfect for all the reasons I wear cotton suits: not quite formal but still obviously a suit, moving easily between an office/event where people are dressed 'smart' without formal suits and running around with the kids in a park after work. Do that in midsummer and you'll be a ball of sweat, though.

1625672946507.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had linen stretch out personally, but it has gotten snugger after washes.

sfny

Reaction score
Quick question for Spier & Mackay on on using the website to order a custom jacket. When putting in a 40R contemporary, the site defaults to a shoulder size 18.3, while the off-the-rack sizing for 40R contemporary is 18.1. The discrepancy seems odd. Anyway, I'm assuming that to recreate the off-the-rack shoulder I should reduce the custom suit shoulder size by .25". Can you confirm?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question for Spier & Mackay on on using the website to order a custom jacket. When putting in a 40R contemporary, the site defaults to a shoulder size 18.3, while the off-the-rack sizing for 40R contemporary is 18.1. The discrepancy seems odd. Anyway, I'm assuming that to recreate the off-the-rack shoulder I should reduce the custom suit shoulder size by .25". Can you confirm?

I'm the same size and use the website defaults. Both RTW and MTO fit me the same on the shoulder.

MrFingers

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members