• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Can you explain the difference in the contemporary and slim fit sportcoat? As I look at measurements they appear the same for both in size 38 regular.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to meet Rick today but I did have the privilege of chatting with Michael for about an hour as I killed some time before a flight - what a fantastic guy. He was really open to my feedback, interested in my questions, and genuinely excited for the growth of S&M.

I must say, there was substantially more to the warehouse store than I ever thought there would be.

I think I got my business partner addicted.

Cheers gents!

Burke

Reaction score
Got my new sport coats which are really great. Now it’s time to shorten the sleeves which will end up being way too close to the buttons.

Here are the options I see:

1) Remove the lowest button and it’s fake button hole and end up with 3 buttons only.

2) Remove the lowest button and it’s fake button hole and add that button above the highest button (with no fake button hole for this button only)

3) Same as #2 but remove all fake button holes for all buttons.

4) Same as #2 but restitch a fake button hole for the moved button.

Number 4 seems like the preferred option but is this doable? Rick what do you recommend?

How is everyone else handling this?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Got my new sport coats which are really great.  Now it’s time to shorten the sleeves which will end up being way too close to the buttons.

Here are the options I see:

1) Remove the lowest button and it’s fake button hole and end up with 3 buttons only.

2) Remove the lowest button and it’s fake button hole and add that button above the highest button (with no fake button hole for this button only)

3) Same as #2 but remove all fake button holes for all buttons.

4) Same as #2 but restitch a fake button hole for the moved button.

Number 4 seems like the preferred option but is this doable? Rick what do you recommend?

How is everyone else handling this?

We do #3 in house.

Burke

Reaction score

We do #3 in house.

Thanks. Good to know.

How much is this alteration (shorten sleeves, move lowest button and remove all fake buttonholes)?

Also, as I'm buying online would it be possible to provide a sleeve length measurement and have you alter before shipping?
If that's possible what measurement should I provide? From shoulder/sleeve seam to end of sleeve?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know.

How much is this alteration (shorten sleeves, move lowest button and remove all fake buttonholes)?

Also, as I'm buying online would it be possible to provide a sleeve length measurement and have you alter before shipping?
If that's possible what measurement should I provide? From shoulder/sleeve seam to end of sleeve?

We charge $25/Jacket in house.

We don't normally do this for online orders. As once an alteration is done there are no return/exchanges. We pin/mark the sleeve in house by our on site tailors. If you order online, it's better to take it to a local tailor and have it marked correctly.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped by the downtown store yesterday to have a look at the new sport coats. They're really nice and I ended up going with the navy gun check in Contemporary.

The guys (Jason and Simon) were really helpful as always.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick, can you compare the weight of the navy herringbone 3 roll 2 that's coming in October and your gray herringbone wool cash? I'm guessing theyre the same weight and composition but does the navy wear cooler because it's totally unstructured? Looking for something that I can wear into the spring in Houston.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick, can you compare the weight of the navy herringbone 3 roll 2 that's coming in October and your gray herringbone wool cash? I'm guessing theyre the same weight and composition but does the navy wear cooler because it's totally unstructured? Looking for something that I can wear into the spring in Houston.

They are the same weight and construction. The newer jackets made in the new factory are not unstructured, but lightly structured, slightly less so than the current sportcoat. Very light canvas. But that won't necessarily make them cooler.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the honesty. I'm probably gonna give it a try anyway. Thoughts on how to style the navy guncheck? Almost added it to my order today but I haven't seen too many of these and idk why it feels a little difficult to wear vs the brown one.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Appreciate the honesty. I'm probably gonna give it a try anyway. Thoughts on how to style the navy guncheck? Almost added it to my order today but I haven't seen too many of these and idk why it feels a little difficult to wear vs the brown one.

Medium or light gray trousers. Solid colour shirt. White or pale blue. Really sharp look. Think of it as an alternative to a navy blazer.

Spex

Reaction score
Does the navy guncheck have black checks or brown? If they are brown then I'd pair it with the usual suspects that go with a navy blazer, that is trousers in shades of grey and brown, or even the right green.

If the checks are black, then I have the same issue pairing it with trousers as I would with the blackwatch jacket. I think it's a cool looking jacket but I'm having trouble picturing it with anything other than solid navy or black trousers (which I don't own nor would plan on buying). This is the one case where I think black trousers would look good, as part of an outfit for evening occasions, with perhaps a white shirt and dark tie. I have a black Burberry tie with very small blue squares in it that I almost never wear, but would look perfect with that jacket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads