1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Dec 8, 2011.

1. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

(Blixa Bargeld retrowearing AnnD) ​
    [quote name="source" url="http://www.midnighteye.com/features/concertfilms_ishii.html"] Sogo Ishii's reputation was by this time spreading across Japan's borders, not in the least thanks to numerous festival screenings of his 1984 feature Crazy Family (Gyaku Funsha Kazoku). It was at one of these festivals that Ishii came in touch with the German noise band Einstürzende Neubauten. The band was going to tour Japan in 1985 and wanted Ishii to film their concerts. The result, entitled 1/2 Mensch (Hanbun Ningen, Half Man), became much more than a concert video. Ishii filmed the band performing for the camera in a ruined warehouse, made complete music videos for three songs and combined everything with footage from the Japanese tour. The result was an admirable representation of the band's philosophy that all music is noise and that all noise is music. Intercut with the performance in the warehouse were meditations on the similarity between flesh and metal. Zoom in close enough and the truth will reveal itself, Ishii seemed to say. At the level of the atom, everything is equal. In Neubauten's performance, the human body and all manner of industrial metal objects combine to make music. 1/2 Mensch was the work of a filmmaker trying to understand his subject, then expressing that understanding in the shape of concepts images. But he also took it a step further and tried to expand what he had found. In the music videos he shot for the songs Halber Mensch and Z.N.S. (both included in the film) he asked the modern dance group Byakko-sha to create their interpretation of Neubauten's music, then let the band play off them. The result was fascinating and disturbing at the same time, and took the band's image beyond scrap metal and noise. [/quote]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

3. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

LN-CC toys with my heart

Posting GUIDI x DIEMME hiking boots​

Yet serenading me with Orientalist imagery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Can one of you recommend me a book? Is that on the list of things that shouldn't be in [SOON]?

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

just any book? or something in particular (e.g. fiction, historical fiction, paranormal romance, military history, women's studies, etc etc)?

6. the shah

this thread is dying. as so too with it is the shah. long live the shah !

i was surprised to see these two, one a work of fiction by deepak (easy charming read) and the other seems to be the same thing with the alternate name (haven't read) !?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    2 people like this.
  7. KingJulien

Quote:

I'm really open to anything, otherwise I would've specified - if it's good enough for someone to recommend it's probably at least worth checking out [​IMG].

8. pickpackpockpuck

I just reread The Unvanquished by William Faulkner. That's a great little book and a good starting point for Faulkner if you haven't read him before. The story is great and it's got the Faulkner prose without being too exaggerated. If you want a great story but without complicated prose, you can't go wrong with The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's about his time in Vietnam. If you want a real Literary experience, read Moby Dick. That book is unwieldy and frustrating and absolutely incredible. If you want something rich and beautiful and just about perfect in its composition, read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. If you want to laugh, read Breakfast of Champions. If you want to cry, read The Grapes of Wrath. If you want a great character portrait, read A Portrait of a Lady.

If you want a little of everything, get a book of short stories. There's one I really like called Best Short Stories of the Modern Age. It has some of my favorites (or at least the old edition I had did), including Youth by Joseph Conrad and The Tree of Knowledge by Henry James, both of which are difficult to find elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  9. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Well-Known Member

one

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

two

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

three

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  10. the shah

that was an awful :plain:

i do like short stories, one i keep recalling is The Sniper

have you read Chopra's Buddha ? both seem to tell the tale of the path to enlightenment.

this one is a bit :tinfoil: :revolve: :marchal: :alien: but i know the author he's really nice guy, also written books on climate change, he's faculty at NYU but travels extensively from what I gather.

[​IMG]

I like where this is heading, thanks KJ.

edit: there's also a "What are you reading now thread" which will have more suggestions and variety

1 person likes this.
  11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

12. pickpackpockpuck

Portrait of the Artist is the best English prose I've read. I think the story is great as well (it's about spiritual redemption through beauty), but I know a lot of people find it boring. The language, however, is unsurpassed in English (again, talking prose here, so I'm excluding Shakespeare and poetry). I think Moby Dick rivals it, but it's not as consistent. Nabokov is consistently excellent, but his prose gets too florid for me.

I haven't read that short story, but thanks for the link. I will check it out. Metapatterns does indeed sound :alien: It frightens me a little. Actually, I just started Speak, Memory so I'll be occupied for a little while anyway.

13. KingJulien

I should probably put some recommendations for you guys (not exactly a favorite list since I don't want to commit to that and have forgotten 90% of what my favorite books are):

• Infinite Jest (hilarious, stupidly long, you'll need at least two bookmarks, either my all-time favorite or way up there)
    • Catch-22 (surprisingly similar, a little deeper and much easier to read)
    • A subscription to The New Yorker (weirdly enough this has some of the best Eng-lang fashion writing I've found, along with every other topic under the sun)
    • Demonic Males - more academic, not in the same literary class as the above but very interesting, had a bigger influence on my worldview than maybe it should have
    • Blood Meridian - brilliant and funny in a morbid way, beautiful prose
    • Leviathan (Hobbes) - sorta dense and not exactly a fun read but it's weirdly entertaining if you're in the mood, he was a funny guy and the fact that it holds up after 400 years is impressive. You might not want to read this with no context.

Might go back and edit more stuff in later when I have access to my bookshelf.

2 people like this.
  14. the shah

15. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Well-Known Member

im reading James Franco's Palo Alto

critics compare him to SF favourites such as BEE and haruki

16. trafficjam

trafficjam Well-Known Member

Have you dudes read Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino? Seems like it would be up this thread's alley.

3 people like this.
  17. the shah

What's a good book without a fantastic cup of coffee or espresso (or [spiced] chai)

Wondering if anyone has experience with any of these ...

I normally just get Intelligentsia Black Cat, have tried some of their blends as well, but keep going back to the Black Cat. Local coffee shop brings in a variety of different things, supposedly getting Stump Town soon and now has Couter Culture Baroida and Bufcafe...

I've tried both Stump Town and Counter Culture espresso at 9th Street Espresso (they had one then switched to the other), but I'm hoping to get different beans for myself at home.

18. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

As far as books go though Alan Watts's The Way of Zen is pretty fresh and clean.

Seconding trafficjam on the Calvino recommendation although his work is pretty uneven; I like If On A Winter's Night A Traveler, but the story Under The Jaguar Sun is really good as well for a lot of the same reasons.

Also if you have 5 minutes to spare, "Me And Miss Mandible" by Don Barthelme is a good read. Barthelme is especially interesting if you've tried to do any writing yourself, his stories are streamlined and digestible without losing any depth. You can find a grip of them at http://www.jessamyn.com/barth/

19. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Have you guys read any Borges or Saramago? Read Ficciones when I was young and impressionable and it really blew my mind :).

Hermann Hesse is also really great and I binged on him in university.

1 person likes this.
  20. KingJulien