• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So people think I'm gay

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really people, 95% of girls don't give a **** what we wear. As most will admit, it's attitude. I know plenty of goregeous girls with "style" (admittadely us weekly influenced) who dated yo-boy douchebags. That's nothing new. You'll get action once you quit looking like you give a **** about your looks (doesnt mean you shouldnt put yourself together but you can definately take some cues from the aforementioned yo boys).

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
It's true, it's true. I'm back from school for the summer, living in my smallish (200k) redneck hometown with my parents again. I went out two nights ago and wore diesel jeans, sandals and a hoodie from Buffalo (it's really ****** and tacky but it was a $10 experiment) and had a bunch of girls compliment me on how nice I looked. I was kind of surprised to be honest. The night before, they didn't respect the slim APC jeans, boots and cashmere cardigan at all haha.

This is proof that we are all gay and we dress for men and not the women.

frown.gif

fortune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Right on the money. I don't think people shop anywhere else around here except for me, when I trek down to Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor's menswear
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Most people have never even heard of those stores, doesn't matter to me, I just like to dress better than the rest of the crowd. Edit: Holy ****, 300 posts. JB

How someone has never heard of Nordstrom is beyond me. o_O Maybe because it's essentially a family business for my family, being as my mother's worked with the company since I was born (16/17 years), my father, sisters(28 y/o twin sisters), 2 aunts, one cousin(that I can remember), and my self have either worked or still work for Nordstrom. I being in the latter class. It's got nice perks though and Nordstrom is an insanely generous company. I've never made less than 9/hr since I started working at 16. But back on to the topic, I used to have the same kind of view upon me. Because up until last year I had long hair, and I'm 'blessed' with naturally straight hair, people would start rumors such as "Oh did you know Ashton straightens his hair?" That coupled with my then style at the time and how obvious it was that I cared about my look, made some think I was gay. But my style has kind of changed over time into not an Abercrombie look but slim fits hoodies and vans, along with not as tight tees. I can't really suggest anything to you because you don't want to change your style which I didn't intentionally but it just did. And I think we're on the same boat as far as girls go. First time I made out wasn't till I was err 15. But since then....well yeah you could say I've had my fair share of experiences. Lol. But either way, best of luck to you, bro.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Ashtnn,
What did you do at Nordstrom? It sounds like a nice place to work.

JB

Telling girls you work at Nordstrom's is going to make them draw, how shall we say...

certain conclusions.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Better than working at-
A) the library
B) the airport

Which is where I work now.

JB

Actually, it could work really well for you - you could use your discount to buy them clothes!

adversity04

Reaction score
Better than working at-
A) the library

Hey! I work at the library! Well worked, yesterday was my last day. It's about the only place on campus you'll have a shot of seeing decent looking females because they're all too busy studying. It's pretty easy to flirt with them too due to the nature of the job.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try working at the information desk, where you deal with every idiot you can think of
smile.gif

"Do you have any books here?"
"Can I find photographs of dinosaurs?"
"Does the library have a full-size atlas?"

You get the picture.

JB

fortune

Reaction score
Ashtnn,
What did you do at Nordstrom? It sounds like a nice place to work.

JB

Because my mom's the HR manager at the downtown store in our region, and has worked at every store in the region, I get random odd jobs. I'll reply later when I get back from school with what I've done over my year and a half of employment but I think you should definately check it out if of course you like the store. Awesome company.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashtnn
Because up until last year I had long hair, and I'm 'blessed' with naturally straight hair, people would start rumors such as "Oh did you know Ashton straightens his hair?" That coupled with my then style at the time and how obvious it was that I cared about my look, made some think I was gay.

Weird. I used to straighten my hair last summer when I worked at Banana Republic and people STILL didn't think I was gay.

What am I doing wrong?
frown.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Weird. I used to straighten my hair last summer when I worked at Banana Republic and people STILL didn't think I was gay.

What am I doing wrong?
frown.gif

You might have been too gay.

In other words, both working at BR and straightening your hair was probably perceived as being so gay that there was no way you could have been gay. It's like the guys with the big muscles, loud mouths, always hitting on girls etc. They are trying to be so straight that there is no way that they are straight.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You might have been too gay.

In other words, both working at BR and straightening your hair was probably perceived as being so gay that there was no way you could have been gay. It's like the guys with the big muscles, loud mouths, always hitting on girls etc. They are trying to be so straight that there is no way that they are straight.

Interesting. Perhaps this is the path that Jet Blast must follow?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd much rather work at Nordstrom or Neimans than at BR
laugh.gif
The Annapolis Nordstrom is a great place, nothing is hard to find or anything.

Ashtnn, I may go after the internship program after doing some research on it.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics