• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

What I think is a waste of time is fixating on the past.

I agree with this completely, which is why I was fixating on the present with an eye to improving the MC forum for the feature.

But, since Fok has re-confirmed that there is nothing wrong, there nothing to be addressed.

Once such a point is reached, that's it. Period.

So, everything is settled.

emptym

Reaction score

I don't know what can be done. OK, at the risk of being immodest, i guess I am part of the problem. I used to post a hell of a lot in MC; now I don't. I used to post a lot of pics; now I don't.
What would get me to start again? I don't know. I don't feel like having a million more rules arguments. Posting pics is a pain. It may sound easy but it's literally 15-20 minutes --at least--after work before I can get out of my suit and work out or whatever. I got tired of it. People complained about the quality, the white balance, the pose, the resolution, the bathroom, you name it. Lots of stupid comments about how things didn't go, outfits were too loud (!) or too boring (that I get, but still). It was like, what's the point?
In addition I have been buying much less over the last 2 years or so. So all I can do is post the same things over and over, which is pretty much what I was doing. I have not gone on a clothing trip since Naples and I posted about that extensively. if solito ever comes back and I get my latest commissions from him I suppose I can post those.
Beyond that, what do you want me to do? Not that, having asked the question, I plan to do any of it.

Fwiw, I say, just be yourself. That may sound silly, but imo, we should all be happy with whatever you or anyone else on SF decides to share (to borrow PSG's term).

Many, if not all of us, seem to feel a lot of entitlement: from perfect pictures, to expert advice, quick replies, appreciative congratulations, total freedom of speech, protection from all offense, ad-free browsing, quick downloads, and maybe a Mr. Sam post now and again. (I have all but given up hope on an RJman one. RJ, if you're out there, help me out here. There remains a glimmer of hope, but just a glimmer.)

What is lost in all our desires and lamentations, imo, is that fact that SF is ultimately a conversation based on sharing. No one pays to read posts and no one pays to become a member. On just about any topic under the sun, and perhaps beyond, we have a world-class expert willing to respond via post or pm. Maybe we should try to express a little more gratitude to each other and not so much entitlement.
I agree with this completely, which is why I was fixating on the present with an eye to improving the MC forum for the feature.
But, since Fok has re-confirmed that there is nothing wrong, there nothing to be addressed.
Once such a point is reached, that's it. Period.
So, everything is settled.

What was it that President once said about asking about your country or something? I think he was a Democrat.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

O hai guise...I don't have much time for an extensive poast now, but probably tomorrow, as this may be an appropriate outlet for some things I've been thinking about recently as I've seen the complaints from more veteran MC forum members mount. In some sense my perspective may be irrelevant to some of you, since I was not here for what are now known as "the glory days", but perhaps to some the experience of a new member (I joined about a year ago) who has gotten a lot out of this forum, in knowledge, enjoyment, and sense of community, might be informative.
tl;dr: MC still awesome, more soon.

Good. I'll read it with an open mind.

If you're not caught up on today's discussions, just catch up enough to know that you are not the only new-ish member who has posted about this today, so don't make it an "old glory days" group against the les Arrivistes. That was a red herring in the first place, and the term "old glory days" a snarky dismissal of genuine concerns.

I'll also be curious to hear why you think that "complaints from more veteran MC forum members" are mounting. The complaints from Ye Olde Learner-Hating Elitists are far less than before simply because of exodus: exodus from the MC forum, or exodus entirely from SF. The ranks these guys are almost completely in a state of depopulation in MC. Who posts there day to day...gdl203, maybe? RJman in the occasional thumbs up balloon?

I guess dopey, Doc, and I have said that that the MC forum sucks now, and Manton has said he's lost interest. Hardly an assault on youth from the old age home.

No, the current unease emanates from newer members who are noticing the same trends we spotted earlier. And Bhowie is saying it goes beyond MC.

You have my permission to skip making your bed tomorrow so that you can get to your poast at the crack of dawn.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

What was it that President once said about asking about your country or something? I think he was a Democrat.

If this is a prequel to a lecture about "contributing" to SF, you might want to stop short, because to quote another President, I've paid at the pump many times.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Not sure why affiliate threads are a problem. Most of the ones I've frequented have offered excellent product and company information and are lightning quick. I think they offer excellent opinions and perspective. I especially like their posts about meeting the owners of various brands and what to expect for upcoming seasons.

I'm do not know if they are a problem either. I'm just reporting what I read someone SW&D-ish say.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You may be on to something here. I think personal style in the area of acting like gentleman could use as much work as the apparel.

Gentlemen also fire pistols, shoot beasts, and wage war. They also, when they can, defend what is good from what is bad.

Sometimes, they also wear capes and dance the quadrille.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Here's an idea. SF should hire some kid to photograph me everyday and post the pic. Not on weekends, when I look like hell. I will still pay for the clothes and put together the outfits.

Then you could have a whole new thread to chew on. At least it would be 100% bespoke!

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Here's an idea. SF should hire some kid to photograph me everyday and post the pic. Not on weekends, when I look like hell. I will still pay for the clothes and put together the outfits.
Then you could have a whole new thread to chew on. At least it would be 100% bespoke!

Foo's got a nice camera and pretty soon, he will have a nice camera bag.

He's a bit taller than Schuman, too.

emptym

Reaction score

If this is a prequel to a lecture about "contributing" to SF, you might want to stop short, because to quote another President, I've paid at the pump many times.

You know me. I don't lecture. I just guilt-trip.

I think that's a great idea. I read somewhere recently about a very productive temp, working in NY. Maybe he has the time.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Actually my socks are not bespoke and about 2/3s of my shoes are not either.

But, seriously, what do people want to see more of?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mixed bag tonight on that score. Not great with the squat, but good bench and row.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes, they also wear capes and dance the quadrille.

i have never danced the quadrille. does this mean i am not a gentleman?

you rang?

--

srs post tho, i think that being a gentleman, and being appreciative are not mutually exclusive necessarily of being critical. to be clear, i am very appreciative of this forum, its moderators, and all the hard work, time and effort they put into making the place hospitable to otherwise useless people such as myself. i too am very appreciative of all the help and advise i have received, and continue to receive, from kind and patient members here. as well i appreciate the many wonderful vendors we have, the time they take to answer all the absurd detailed oriented questions we pose them, and the excellent accommodations they make for us when something it not to our over exacting expectations.

that does not mean however, at least in my opinion, that there is no room for improvement. i do not have quite as grim an outlook as some of the others here, and maybe that is due to my join date, and what past experience i have to compare to today, but i still think that there are areas for improvement. some significant, others more minor. i dont think they need to be detailed any more than they already have here today.

i think this burden falls not only on the moderators but on us as well. weather you joined in 02' or 12'. in large, you will get out of this forum what you put into it. that is not to say that there are not contributing factors that can potentially negate some of our efforts to make this place as great as it can be, but the more effort we put in, the more effort we encourage others to put in, the more we can take out.

is it not telling that not a single noob (under a few hundred posts, under 6-10 months on the forum) has so much as posted here in this discussion? are they all unawares of this subforum, and this thread? do they not have interest in learning what can help this forum and what can damage it? the blame does not entirely lay on them, and a **** storm of noobiness would likely make this worse, but not a single peep. really?

i think that as long as there is an awareness that there is room for improvement, as long as everyone from mod to long time member to medium member to noob is willing is willing to actively pursue improvement, and as long as everyone has an open mind, and is willing to compromise in certain areas, that success can be achieved.

i sincerely hope that this goal can be achieved, and that SF can continue to be a fun and valuable place for all its contributors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads