• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

LaoHu

Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The tide is rising. With my compatriots, I shall ride the crest.

Last edited:

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could be convinced, especially if we create thread(s) that are easy to find and void of nonsense posts.

If you're serious about this and can invest a small amount of time, you should also delete those god-awful vacuous "+1 this is great!!!!!" posts. Take out the idiot posts that say it's too boring (unless there's interesting reasoning behind it) and the spammy nonsense and it may actually be something great to read again. Just like when the conservative business dress thread started -- it was very well done... and then it disintegrated into nonsense.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps a function can be added to sort out threads started by the Dubiously Honored?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would not get rid of the "+1" comments per se but I would suggest asking people not to spam quote pics. It's not the post of appreciation that makes those threads laborious to scroll through but rather 20 posts that quote the same five pics.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd reiterate my suggestion to have spoiler tags automatically included around quoted pics. This should be the default, and people can remove the spoiler tags if there's good reason for it.

"+1" without any additional content should not exist in the current version of the forum - these should go in thumbs. Of course, that's only theoretical when thumbs function doesn't work on iphone/ipad

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Default spoiler tags is a great idea.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll take "+1" comments over the thumbs-up function, but I'm guessing I'm alone in that. I don't like that unsearchable comments can be made in the thumbs-up box. It's a shadow forum. I hear that's where RJman lives.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm going to bring back the 3-5 pattern contests (these were fun). I'll ask iammatt to moderate. We'll keep it to pics only so long as I get honored "status".

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd reiterate my suggestion to have spoiler tags automatically included around quoted pics. This should be the default, and people can remove the spoiler tags if there's good reason for it.
"+1" without any additional content should not exist in the current version of the forum - these should go in thumbs. Of course, that's only theoretical when thumbs function doesn't work on iphone/ipad

I suggested this several months ago and never heard anything.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164395/...log-site-topics-part-ii/2000_100#post_3589402

Actually, almost two years ago!

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thumbs-up was a great idea that works terribly. The functionality on iPhones and iPads is pathetic. On one hand, the people who quote the thumbs-ups to thank people for their approval are awful and should be banished. It's nothing more than a humble-brag, masking their need to show how many people approved of their outfit with faux gratitude for someone taking half a second to click thumbs-up. On the other hand, I understand needing to quote thumbs-ups when someone makes a comment that warrants response. I feel like the comments either need to have no text capabilities or allow for the ability to respond within the thumbs-ups.

They do greatly help by cutting down the useless +1s, but Foo is right that it creates a shadow forum. Although the appearance of RJ there almost makes it worthwhile.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thumbs-up was a great idea that works terribly. The functionality on iPhones and iPads is pathetic. On one hand, the people who quote the thumbs-ups to thank people for their approval are awful and should be banished. It's nothing more than a humble-brag, masking their need to show how many people approved of their outfit with faux gratitude for someone taking half a second to click thumbs-up. On the other hand, I understand needing to quote thumbs-ups when someone makes a comment that warrants response. I feel like the comments either need to have no text capabilities or allow for the ability to respond within the thumbs-ups.
They do greatly help by cutting down the useless +1s, but Foo is right that it creates a shadow forum. Although the appearance of RJ there almost makes it worthwhile.

I read the first two sentences of this and my immediate reaction was STFU. Straight up, based on this and not any else of your posts. Go sit down somewhere, son.

Now then, j Fok or someone please change the title of my cooking thread. I'm about to cook and want to update it. Sheesh.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Paging RSS...

he is lurking, fear not.

it can be used on the iphone, but it really focking hard to do, and very annoying at that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads