• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk knot cuff links

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there really a quality difference with silk knot cuff links? I'm ordering a shirt from Jantzen and I'm considering picking up a few pairs of their $3 silk knot links. Scroll to the bottom: http://www.jantzentailor.com/cufflinkstud.htm If quality really does differ, what are your recommendations?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I have ordered Jantzen shirts a number of times. I few times I asked Ricky to include links and charge me accordingly. I never got the links and I was never charged. Go figure.

Gatsby

Reaction score
At 50% off (and no VAT) the silk knots at TM Lewin are dirt cheap. Shipping should be of no issue either considering how small and light knots are. Selection is pretty standard though.

As for quality, people have complianed about silk knots coming unraveled after significant use, I have yet to have this problem. I suppose there is always this issue of 'quality silk' which I have heard is used in knots from Charvet. But for such a marginal item, I really wouldn't spend over $10. I think silk knots make a great alternative to links especially when you want to wear a double cuffed shirt and not make any 'cuff statements'.

Note: make sure your cuff link buttonholes are wide enough to accomodate the knots.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet uses real silk, but they usually fall apart. Most others use nylon, which is durable. Charvet are $15 for a pair.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brooks Bros is less expensive, but I always manage to lose theirs. I think they go to the same place as all the pens from the office.
sad.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Bros is less expensive, but I always manage to lose theirs. Â I think they go to the same place as all the pens from the office. Â Â
sad.gif
I've had the silk knots from Brooks for a long time and never had to replace a pair because of wear.

demo5

Reaction score
What makes the Charvet links fall apart is not the silk v. nylon issue but the fact that Charvet's knots aren't just the not. Their cufflinks are knotted around a little metal ball in the center of each knot, which is completely covered by the silk. However, after a while it is quite easy for the end of a knot to pop off the link, thereby destroying it. I have had this happen several times with Charvet links, and on the whole, I would stay away from them.

My View

Reaction score
I have quite a few pairs of silk knots from Jantzen's and they are not bad at all. The knots are slightly smaller than those from TM Lewin and Polo Ralph Lauren but as far as I can see, the quality is comparable. I bought them at the shop (he has a full big bowl of them) and at HK$20 - slightly less than US$3 - they are a great value buy.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet uses real silk, but they usually fall apart. Most others use nylon, which is durable. Charvet are $15 for a pair.
I bet this is more.

Gatsby

Reaction score
I bet this is more.
I actually I would have thought this is more as well... at 'better department stores' in Tokyo, silk knots typically go for around $20-$25. I was expecting Charvet to be around that range if not higher... hmm. go figure..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads