• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder acne solutions?

srjrol

Reaction score
I've had pretty mild but consistent shoulder acne for the last few years. I was thinking of going to a dermatologist to see what they thought, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask you guys first. Maybe there is an over the counter wash that could help with this? Is it practical to use the acne face washing stuff on my shoulders?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srjrol
Is it practical to use the acne face washing stuff on my shoulders?

Yes, use a face or body wash with salacylic acid (Neutrogena is good). You can also use an astringent with a cotton pad.

Face/body scrub is bad idea, too irritating and the scrub particles can get stuck in your pores.

If you're taking multivitamins, stop.

srjrol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
If you're taking multivitamins, stop.

I actually am taking a few different vitamins. I'll try stopping for a bit, but why would this be the cause? I always thought vitamins were good for the skin and body.

Mandesign

Reaction score
I use Morning Burst Facial Scrub on my face and back/shoulder area. It has little beads in it that REALLY get your pores cleaned out. It works great for blackheads as well as getting rid of that body acne.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Be sure not to use too hot of water when showering. I think over-dried out skin from hot water may help cause this as well.

srjrol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandesign
I use Morning Burst Facial Scrub on my face and back/shoulder area. It has little beads in it that REALLY get your pores cleaned out. It works great for blackheads as well as getting rid of that body acne.

Awesome I'll give that a shot starting tomorrow morning, cause it just so happens I picked up a bottle of that stuff to try earlier this morning.

LanAltec

Reaction score
I think Clearsil started making a bodywash. I don't use it or know anyone who does, but you could try that out.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srjrol
I actually am taking a few different vitamins. I'll try stopping for a bit, but why would this be the cause? I always thought vitamins were good for the skin and body.

Multivitamins normally contain potassium iodide, and that makes acne redder and more inflamed. Something my dermatologist learned from watching his patients.

My roommate is stubborn and keeps popping multivitamins (and popping zits)... and every time he runs out his skin clears up. He still doesn't believe me.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Multivitamins normally contain potassium iodide, and that makes acne redder and more inflamed. Something my dermatologist learned from watching his patients.

My roommate is stubborn and keeps popping multivitamins (and popping zits)... and every time he runs out his skin clears up. He still doesn't believe me.

You should also point out that there are plenty of multivitamins out there that don't contain Potassium iodide, you just have to look beyond the grocery store. Any health food store, and possibly even Whole Foods should have a big enough selection to find one.

BYucko

Reaction score
Wow, I never knew that, greg_atlanta. I'll be sure to find a multi that doesn't contain Potassium Iodide....or as Centrum in Canada cleverly disguises it, iodure de potassium. They write it in French, but not in English!

I also have shoulder and bacne and I got prescribed Dalacin T 1%. It reduced my acne heavily with regular use. Ask about it and see if it might do some good for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads