• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should you store wool suits in nylon garment bags?

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zegogglestheydonothing
Does nylon "breathe" like cotton? Is it safe to store wool long term in nylon?

My guess is no, but certainly would like to know for sure.

zegogglestheydonothing

Reaction score
The funny thing is that cotton garment bags are called breathable...

and nylon clothing is sometimes called breathable...

But I've never actually seen nylon garment bags recommended for storage.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE INSIGHT?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy suit length all cotton garment bags at The Container Store. They come in natural cotton and I like the way that looks in my closets as well as the fact that it breathes.

dba

Reaction score
I dunno, I am thiking there are more things that could go wrong than could go right, so may as well use the money for soemthing else.

zegogglestheydonothing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dba
I dunno, I am thiking there are more things that could go wrong than could go right, so may as well use the money for soemthing else.

eh.gif

Things could go wrong? Like my clothes will spontaneously combust or something? I'm looking for insight here, not conjecture...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cut a small hole at the closed end of an old pillowcase and it will fit over most clothes hangers. i make my covers from old sheets and pillow cases. they breathe and turn away dust thats ideal. "recycling is good"

billiebob

Reaction score
The 'thinner than paper' plastic bags you get from the cleaners make ideal suit storage bags. Don't tie a knot at the bottom and they hardly impede gas exchange at all, while protecting the garment from dust. They aren't as breathable as cotton suit bags but are 10x more breathable than typical plastic "garment" bags.

zegogglestheydonothing

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I still don't think I have the answer to whether or not nylon breathes -- I'm really wondering at this point...

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I too store most of my suits in cleaners' plastic. The cleaners, among others, have told me not to do it, but I dont sweat much and I let my suits air out before putting them back in the closet.

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
I too store most of my suits in cleaners' plastic. The cleaners, among others, have told me not to do it, but I dont sweat much and I let my suits air out before putting them back in the closet.

Drying a suit after wearing is important if you are going to use plastic. Brushing, steaming, and airing for 3 days is sufficient. Considering I don't dry clean my suits or use mothballs, I'm also not worried about retaining chemicals in the cloth. If I wore suits every day at work I wouldn't bother with the plastic at all, but I wear one maybe once a month and I don't want them to get dusty.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I buy suit length all cotton garment bags at The Container Store. They come in natural cotton and I like the way that looks in my closets as well as the fact that it breathes.

I do the same thing, or get the ones that have a cotton canvas backing with a clear plastic front zipper section. Great for travel, taking garments to the tailor, or storing seasonal items.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use nylon suit bags to store my out of season suits and sport coats, as well as my formal wear. I store those bags in a portable wardrobe in my attic, and hang a container of moth balls in the wardrobe. I'm not sure if this is the ideal storage method, but iI've been using this method for years and have never had a problem with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads