• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

yunBW

Reaction score
The fit is ok, I think it would’ve looked better if you size down one for the shoulder to fit you better. If you want more relaxed look definitely get a raglan shoulder coat

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look ok to me, seems like that ripple is just because of the way you have your hands in pockets?

I thought this too. Can’t tell from the pics. But how structured is the coat? And how huge is the collar gap? All that aside, I don’t like how short it is.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the responses. Had the next smallest size in my cart but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

I thought this too. Can’t tell from the pics. But how structured is the coat? And how huge is the collar gap? All that aside, I don’t like how short it is.

Coat is fairly unstructured, totally unlined, not too heavy. That shoulder/armpit ripple is there no matter what, even just robo-posing.

Strangely, I actually like the length for how I would normally use it. I may like the idea of it more than how it works in practice. I'll probably play around with it a bit before I have to decide.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses! Yeah, I think I'll keep it, in the end I'm just growing attached to it lol. And yes @bry2000 I took your advice and went with my normal medium size, definitely the right choice!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@yoshimagikmagik, cardigan looks good, but I think only you can decide whether it's worth $500. FWIW, it does seem like the sort of thing you can get for a whole lot cheaper though, looks wise.

@FrankCowperwood , top one IMO

@Cotton Dockers, I like Eidos, but personally wish that coat was longer. FWIW, they make longer coats. I bought one a while ago that was knee length, but you have to hunt for them. I think a lot of stores request shorter coats because that's what sells.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In fairness to @yoshimagikmagik 's MMM cardigan -- Having seen it in a different color, it looks better in real life than in the photo. Still a bit of change for a cardigan, but there will always be more and less expensive options. It is a good piece either way.

@Cotton Dockers , I vote for returning the coat. I agree with DWW: it should be a longer coat for the style. Plus, I think you can find a better fit.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Sorry for the crummy picture! Yeah, in real life, it does feel fairly unique, at least compared to the other cardigans I own, mainly because the chunkiness and oversizedness is very substantial, in a way that I haven't gotten from a lot of other cardigans outside of of my jan jan one (which is great, but even longer). Then again, I haven't tried a ton of other cardigans, so it's hard to say.

@Cotton Dockers FWIW I personally feel the length and fit looks good, but I generally like a more relaxed fit. Length could be more, but nice to have a mix of longer and shorter coats, and the length seems fine to me.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it has some intrinsic value to you and you feel like it's worth it then keep. Just reminds me that we're in some dark times as far as baller knits go.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
If it has some intrinsic value to you and you feel like it's worth it then keep. Just reminds me that we're in some dark times as far as baller knits go.

Yeah, we'll see if I keep. Still mulling. I'm curious, what're some high end cardigan knits in this style - slouchy and chunky - that you would turn to?

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally I would reach for a Margiela, they usually do a chunky cardigan each season. But it's been eons since they've done a proper job on something like that. They've just been plain and uninspired for like the last five years at least. More or less like the one you have. Just boring. I dunno, maybe check out Dries or old Jil. Nothing else is coming to mind since like I said knitwear in general isn't what it used to be. But I mean if you just want a nice shawl cardigan that's chunky and slouchy you can probably get one from like Scott & Charters or whoever.

Also check out the Epicurean Knits thread, you'll see what I'm talking about. Some of the stuff on there you'll never see, but some of it you can still find on the markets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads