• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
Anyone have a Stutterheim rain coat and have opinions on whether I should buy or not?

I've got one, it is very wind / water resistant but completely non-breathable so it gets pretty hot and sweaty. Most breathable waterproofs don't look that good though so that's the price you pay I guess.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also do not recommend stutterheim due to sweat issues.

If you a small and in need of a Norwegian Rain single breasted holla at me.

mcfly26

Reaction score
Been eying this overcoat from A kind of Guise, good price (around $700) and 90% wool/10% cashmere. However, not sure on the proportions for some reason. Before I commit, would love some feedback?

katla_coat_midnight_navy_3335-1000x1500.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 20.22.59.png

jaaz16

Reaction score
It sounds ridiculous to say but I'd be a bit worried about quality at that price point - as in, it might not be super warm, the buttons might not feel premium, etc. The extreme drop shoulders would also make me, personally, nervous because I have wide and bony shoulders and if the fabric is thin, my pointy shoulders will stick out weirdly. All that said, AKOG doesn't get enough love on SF, and if you can find it from a place that takes returns, I'd try it out.

mcfly26

Reaction score
Thank you, yeah I think they do have an overall good quality as a brand and looking online it does look like it's substancial on some level. I'll order to check but it's weird, I'm no pro and the less traditional lapels/dropped shoulders/robe thing gets me confused.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would just spend a bit more (or browse sales in a month or two) for the DBF Granddad tbh. Raglan > the shoulders on that AKOG coat. Can also button it up all the way if needed on really cold/windy days.

Jay.C

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering to purchase a suede jacket over the sales season plus my b-day. I already have some rider, A-1, A-2. So, I'm thinking to get something interesting. Also, I'm based in Asia, therefore, I'd try to get something light. Here's what in my shopping bag, and I'd only get one so my wife wouldn't shout at me too loudly. Which one would you suggest or which one would you suggest me to avoid?

Thanks!

1. Valstar A-1 in red- I already have one in tobacoo, and I like it. So... why not get one in a more interesting colour.

2. Valstar Trucker in burgandy-Also Valstar, different style but in a more classic colour.

3. Sefr Jacket in Pink- Don't know much about this brand, nor the quality.

1700555802089.png

Pic for the lazy.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering to purchase a suede jacket over the sales season plus my b-day. I already have some rider, A-1, A-2. So, I'm thinking to get something interesting. Also, I'm based in Asia, therefore, I'd try to get something light. Here's what in my shopping bag, and I'd only get one so my wife wouldn't shout at me too loudly. Which one would you suggest or which one would you suggest me to avoid?

Thanks!

1. Valstar A-1 in red- I already have one in tobacoo, and I like it. So... why not get one in a more interesting colour.

2. Valstar Trucker in burgandy-Also Valstar, different style but in a more classic colour.

View attachment 2074035
Pic for the lazy.

I like them all, the red one is bold and assertive in the colour but more classic in the style, the other two are more casual. I would base my decision on the prevalent style of my wardrobe: if you wear often tailoring, the red Valstar would combine better in my opinion, the reverse, if you dress mostly casual.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been eying this overcoat from A kind of Guise, good price (around $700) and 90% wool/10% cashmere. However, not sure on the proportions for some reason. Before I commit, would love some feedback?

View attachment 2059871 View attachment 2059875

Sorry for the late reply (had overseen your post) and it could be too late, but anyway. I would suggest you to get the garment if you really love that style and silhouette: the coat is cut for being oversized with dropped shoulders and a lot of room. Not my style, but it doesn't look bad, if you're a fan of that aesthetics.

mcfly26

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply (had overseen your post) and it could be too late, but anyway. I would suggest you to get the garment if you really love that style and silhouette: the coat is cut for being oversized with dropped shoulders and a lot of room. Not my style, but it doesn't look bad, if you're a fan of that aesthetics.
Dont worry, thanks for the feedback. I ordered and ended up returning - it's a lovely piece, great fabric, but something was off for me. Maybe was too large, but anyway glad I had at least tried it on

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks!

View attachment 2074035
Pic for the lazy.

Sefr is very very cool, but Valstar is another level of quality and materials.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only note of caution I would sound with Valstar is about proportions. IME their cut is slightly longer and slightly narrower than some others. If you have a shorter body and longer legs like me, or if you are a bit wider than average, you might want to try a few different brands on first.

Jay.C

Reaction score
I like them all, the red one is bold and assertive in the colour but more classic in the style, the other two are more casual. I would base my decision on the prevalent style of my wardrobe: if you wear often tailoring, the red Valstar would combine better in my opinion, the reverse, if you dress mostly casual.
Thanks! I'm leaning toward the red Valstar now. The pink Sefr is still hard to style for me IMO.

Sefr is very very cool, but Valstar is another level of quality and materials.
Thanks! Sefr looks super cool. It reminds me of Stoffa when I search through its Instagram. Although, Stoffa wouldn't be so colorful. However, after some self estimation, pink jacket is too cool for me. I'd try a pink sweater first. Have you ever heard Anderson-Anderson? It's a Copenhagen brand and their pink sweater looks just right for me. Not too pink and not too faded.
What do you think about pink items? I wear smart casual to work and jeans & chinos during day offs. Thanks!
1700618794887.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads