• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love shirt jackets. Usually try to throw it on with a scarf or interesting knit.

I rather wear a suit than odd jacket and feel the shirt jacket as a good alternative for me with pants or denim.Yeah it comes off as business casual, but clothes is only half the equation if you’re asking whether you can pull it off and be comfortable wearing it. Fwiw I love Drakes’ offerings.

Safari jackets are good too.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Drake's shirt jackets and I really like them. I don't really wear them casually, though, I mostly wear them as a layer at work over trousers and a dress shirt since my workplace does not require a jacket/sportcoat.

I do have a shacket from Tony Shirtmakers that I wear casually and I really like it

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camoshita easy pants or Sage De Cret Pegtops? Getting a new pair to go with the Terry tees
669E0F14-56A0-4085-B132-BD835F3D43FB.jpeg
9ED95D45-6E94-4D57-9B5F-8E0044420C45.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear thank you.

what are other examples of a conservative casual style that are with worth considering?

Actually another one comes to mind: Valstar's bomber jackets. I think they look conservative enough, but also have a point of view. They also fit in well with wardrobes that mostly rely on sport coats. Some guys, reasonably, don't like the rounded silhouette and hip pockets. They think it doesn't look flattering. But I think the silhouette looks good with slim trousers.

They're too warm for really hot days, but at least in the Bay Area, good for about three seasons out of the year. IMO, they look best in suede.

Not a full shot, but Bernhard Roetzel, who wrote the book Gentlemen, along with other CM titles, is wearing one here. I like how he's been experimenting with his casualwear. He also seems like he has a good disposition about clothes.

Camoshita easy pants or Sage De Cret Pegtops? Getting a new pair to go with the Terry tees
View attachment 1347869 View attachment 1347870

Both seem good, but my vote goes to the Sage de Crets.

Reaction score
So, a lot of times I really like a piece and I'm sometimes curious as to what other people think of its wearability or how good of an idea it actually is. The allure of sales over the years have made many people buy B&S-destined clothing. This is the opportune place to see if you should buy that pink sweater (yes) or gold floral tuxedo shirt (no). Maybe you think you can size down where you probably shouldn't? You could also use this thread to recommend cheaper alternatives to posted items.

I anticipate thread-poopery from the following parties:

whodini
jet
Get Smart
Connemara
Saucemaster
shoreman1782
Arethusa?
(If edmorel and iammatt ever read Streetwear and Denim....)
Jon.

Honestly? I dunno. But I like this set.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a full shot, but Bernhard Roetzel, who wrote the book Gentlemen, along with other CM titles, is wearing one here.

He actually mentions that it's not a Valstar here:

"The very nice leather jacket „Valentin“ which is based on a certain Italian jacket but not just another copy." I dunno, it looks a lot like a copy!

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am susceptible to advertising apparently. Who isn’t?

anyway, got an email this morning from drakes pimping this over shirt.

Am considering. Seeing this on Instagram has nudged me towards it.

thoughts?

I’ve never had an over shirt before. Is this a good versatile first foray?

what others should I consider?

I have some for fall and spring/summer from @Shirtmaven and wear them a lot.
1583159429053.png

-DL

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Been looking at this for a while... should I?
View attachment 1342421

45r @ 70% off, but still over $200

I like this but:
1) doesn't look like you can tuck
2) seems rounded so not good with relatively tight sweaters or jacket.

If that's not a problem you should buy.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I have a weird yearning for a varsity jacket in off-white leather and dark green wool, from here

Inspired by the image below.

Misguided purchase?

View attachment 1343874

The 80s varsity us dude X british 60s mod cosplay collab here is ridiculous, I hope he's also wearing spats and riding a skateboard. WTF

note: ridiculous cosplay collabs can work if the outfit is good enough that you forget the individual references because it forms a coherent visual whole.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
So I want a ball cap that fits at home with a suit as much as casual wear, think Drakes style direction. This is because some days my hair is just ****, and some days I head out after work instead of straight home. I like ball caps, they look at home on my head compared to other headwear. I can pickup something from Uniqlo or the likes but I am thinking something more distinguished. I really liked the Free & Easy caps, something like the below hats:

View attachment 1346231

View attachment 1346232

And then I saw some caps from Adsum:

View attachment 1346233

View attachment 1346234

Then, I saw some ball caps at O'Connels and got me excited. Navy? Black? Emerald?:

View attachment 1346235

I have a boyish face, I think the caps although may look out of place in some outfits will sit perfectly on my head. If anything just trying to get a direction of where to take this. The whole point too is that its after work and days when I'm just in a frantic rush.

Hmm, don't wear a ballcap with a conservative outfit, maybe if it is "dressy" but more fashionny that's ok (dunno what you wear to work). I'm wearing a grey uniqlo wool cap more than others right now, shape and fabric goes well with wool coats dress shirts and sweaters. I haven't found better alternatives so I'd stick with that over the examples you posted. The concept of "quality caps" is a little overrated anyway, no?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wineglasses