• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OR wax cotton duffle?
margaret-howell-mhl-men-duffle-coat-washed-waxed-cotton-black.jpg

margaret-howell-men-ss18-show-look-03.jpg

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OccultaVexillum
Farfetch's pricing is out of whack, but even in normal places these were still offensively priced even by Rick standards...like $710 at Totokaelo or something like that. Which is why I never got em. But they sure look good.

I saw some Rick Birkenstocks at Barney's (in SF) the other day for … I can't remember precisely but under $500. Still not remotely cheap but apparently less than elsewhere!

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick Birk Arizonas are $420 from Birkenstock's own store. Which is actually not a huge premium over Birkenstock's own all-leather models, at least not compared to what I'd expect from the Adidas and Hood Rubber boots. My pricing comment was about the Granolas, which are probably fragile, insubstantial and gratuitously priced.

I still may end up getting a pair of Rick Birks. Both the black and velour dust and brown suede ones are sick, and I know I'd legitimately wear them a lot. And the wool ones are even better. Even cheaper at Italist and Matches. 305 at End. And 285 Eur on Rickowens.eu.

Eh, *******. I'll probably buy a pair from Matches or End tonight.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not sure im completely sold on either myself, but Im in the market for some sort of "utilitarian" black rain/drizzle coat. Im moving to Amsterdam in the fall, and the yearly rain statistics there does not look promising...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not sure im completely sold on either myself, but Im in the market for some sort of "utilitarian" black rain/drizzle coat. Im moving to Amsterdam in the fall, and the yearly rain statistics there does not look promising...

You could try Mackintosh. The nicer ones are made from bonded cotton, which doesn't breathe very well, but drapes nicely and has an interesting feel to it. Less useful if you think you want something you can wear on warm summer days, but good for fall/ winter.

They come in different lengths. Personally not into the short ones, but they have A-frame knee length ones that are nice. You can find them on sale or eBay for about $500-ish.

The company has also taken on a darker, more avant garde aesthetic, so depending on your style, you may want to look at their newer, non-traditional line.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have considered Mackintosh, but according to friends who own them, they are unbreathable enough to basically be useless... I guess I will do some biking in said coat, so the complete rubber thing will likely be tough.

I do like how they look though...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found another picture of the Mac, looks nice and rather elegant. (edit. apparently this is the women's version)
JMH058SS18_F2_4096x4096.jpg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cotton duffle coat just doesn't feel right to me. What about something made of Ventile and the likes?

Not a big fan of waxed cotton (unless it's beaten up but then it probably means it's not weather resistant anymore and needs to be re-waxed) but rubberized cotton (classic Mackintosh) is the absolute worst avoid avoid.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lixohealthcare