• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I ditch my friend?

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a friend who, once or twice a year, gets so wasted that he basically becomes an animal. I mean, he completely loses his ability to reason. When he does, he often makes a complete ass out of himself and me as a result. Once, he tried to grab my friend's boss's boobs and spilled wine on her. Another time, he accosted another woman until she left the party we were at. Both times, the people who hosted stopped hanging out with me since I brought my friend in question.

When he is sober, he is a great friend -- he has done some very nice things for me, but are these grievances enough for me to think about ditching him for good? I mean, I dont want to bring him around any new people I met because there is always the chance that he will get blackout drunk and assault someone. I have tried to address his drinking problem with him, but he doesnt seem to get it because he never remembers the stupid **** he does.

Should I ditch him? Yes or no, please.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its only once or twice a year. Most people get completely fucked more often then that. I'd say no.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
No, but don't bring him along to any important venues.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He sounds pretty funny. I suggest getting him drunk more often and starting a blog chronicling his escapades ala Tucker Max

volatility smile

Reaction score
No, and I can't help but think that it's a bit douchey for other people to stop hanging out with you based on stuff that your friend did. Oh well -- next time, record his antics and show them to him the next day, assuming he doesn't remember them.

young Ego

Reaction score
Only if it's inconvenient for the two of you to hang out without drinking. Or, you could stop bringing him along to private parties and only go drinking with him at dive bars and such. No need to give him the boot just yet.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting, I was expecting to see a lot of Yes's. Maybe I'm being too hard on him.

I've generally been trying to keep him away from people who dont already about his destructive/perverted side. But it gets annoying trying to do this covertly. I'm wondering if I should just tell him, "because you blatantly assault women from time to time, I dont let you hang out with my other friends."

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone stops hanging around you for stuff *he* did? Tell them to go ***************.

Tell your friend he embarrasses you when he's drunk and don't bring him to important events until he learns how to handle his booze.

c00kz

Reaction score
Once or twice a year of stupid drunken antics is actually pretty nice. Most people put up with much more. You could always clear it with him in advance, just ask him if he's going to go for his yearly binge. If it happens as rarely as you say that sort of question should make perfect sense to him.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Ditching" him is a bit childish, don't you think? Just don't hang out with him when he's drinking/drunk.

I have a friend who's an alcoholic and I simply treat him like the delinquent that he is; we only engage in constructive activities where there is no (or not much) alcohol. If I find myself in a situation where he IS drunk, I simply find something else to do.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha. Well, he's almost always drinking. If I stopped hanging out with him when he's drinking, I would barely hang out with him at all. He gets sloppy drunk frequently. It's just that he only happens to make an assault a couple times a year. Maybe that should have gone in the OP.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds like he's an alcoholic or borderline alcoholic.

if you really don't care that much about him, ditch him
if you care about what happens to his life, then you can do the intervention-type stuff mentioned above. but if he doesn't listen to you i'd ditch him for sure.

wangvicous

Reaction score
I think you shouldn't bring him along to private parties or to meet newish people. I have two friends like this and I remember to only go drinking with them, rather than bring them along with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads