• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Paris and Milan

arrhok

Reaction score
Beeing a regular visitor to Milan, here's a list I compiled for a friend a few weeks ago:

Sightseeing/Things to do:
- Rooftop of the Duomo – Take the stairs (don’t queue up for the elevator) and get on the top of the Duomo
- The last supper from da Vinci in l Cimitero Monumentale (one world: monumental, tickets have to be booked in advance)
- If you're interested, visit an opera or ballet in the Scala (if you get tickets – it’s worth just for the building and you can see some real Milanese people)
- On rainy days: Museo del novecento next to the Duomo, Triennale close to Cadorna (especially the Triennale Design Museum), Spa in the Bulgari Hotel (Via Privata Fratelli Gabba, 7/b)
- If you're in town and interested definitely worth visiting: Salone del Mobile

Food/Drinks (also kind of belongs to sightseeing)
- Panzerotti at Luini ( Via Santa Radegonda – don’t worry about the queue, it’s worth waiting)
- Da Giacomo (solid food, Via Marconi, 1)
- Best dinner by far: Ristorante Cracco-Peck (one of the most expensice restaurants in town (100 euros upwards) but an incredible experience, book ahead!, Via Victor Hugo, 4)
- Pizza OK (Via San Siro, 9)
- Armani Nobu (Best Japanese, Via Gastone Pisoni, 1)
- Cafe Victor Hugo (nice for breakfast/afternoon delights, Via Victor Hugo, 2)
- Top floor in la Rinascente (Easy lunch when you're in the very downtown. The department store itself is not worth a visit but the food department is)
- Supermarket Peck (For Parmesan and Milanese Salami)
- Gucci Café (uber cool and uber priced but if you’re on a shopping spree and in the mood, worth to have a café, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)

Shopping:
- For Her:
- Max & Co (Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 11)
- Max Mara (Piazza del Liberty, 4)
- Prada (you're in Milano so you have to visit, Corso Venezia, 3)
- Valextra (the Milanese Hermes, very expensive but high quality bags (also for men), Manzoni, Via Santo Spirito, 20)
- Have a walk in the Quadrilatero d'Oro and do some windows shopping: Via Montenapoleone, Della Spiga, Via Borgospesso, and Via Sant'Andrea
- Corso Como 10 (answer to Colette in Paris, has a Café as well)

- For Him:
- Boggi (affordable menswear, jackets ~300 Euros, my favorite outlet is on Piazza San Babila, www.boggi.it)
- Al Bazar (stocks Guy Rover shirts and well-made double monks, great atmosphere to go shopping (especially if you speak a bit of Italian), Via Antonio Scarpa, 9, www.albazarmilano.it)
- Fratelli Rossetti (shoes for men and women, Via Montenapoleone, www.fratellirossetti.com)
- Ader (affordable suits and coats, stocks Aquascutum trenchcoats, Vicolo Santa Maria alla Porta, 1, www.ader.it)
- M. Bardelli (formal wear, lots of cashmere items, jackets ~1000 Euros plus, so rather expensive but worth a visit since it’s on four floors and the sales staff doesn’t mind showing you around, 13 Corso Magenta, www.mbardelli.com)
- Zegna (What do I have to say?, Via Montenapolenone)
- Fay (Shirts and outerwear, Via della spiga 15, www.fay.it)
- Camacissima (affordable Shirts –usually 3 for 99 Euros, if they fit you perfectly: buy otherwise go somewhere else, Corso Vittorio Emmanuele II)
- Santoni (italian shoes, Via Gesù 9, www.santonishoesusa.com)
- Churchs (british shoes, Via Sant'Andrea 11, www.church-footwear.com)
- Gallo (Knit ties and socks, V. A. Manzoni, 16b, www.gallospa.it)
- Isaia (amazing fabrics but very, very expensive, great sportscoats, amazing concept store, Via Verri, www.isaia.it)
- Piombo (Casual, unstructured jackets, interesting shop, Via Montenapoleone 23, www.piomboworld.com)
- Borelli (great neapolitan shirts, lots of handwork but rather pricy at ~150-250 Euros, Via del Lauro 3, www.luigiborelli.com)
- Drumohr (Knitwear, nice cashmere ties, via Monte Napoleone 18)
- Marinella (Neapolitan Ties, rather pricy ~100^Euros but nice to have a look, Via Santa Maria alla Porta 5, www.marinellanapoli.it)
- Etro (woolen trousers and coats, nice pocket squares, Via Montenapoleone)

- Interior:
- Alessi (Home accessories, Corso Matteotti 9)
- B&B Italia (Furniture, Via Durini 14)
- Flos (Lightning, Corso Monforte 9)
- Artemide (Lightning, Via Manzoni 12)
- Kartell (Plastic furniture, Via C. Porta)
- Poltrona Frau (Leather furniture, Via della Moscova 58)
- MDF Italia (Various furniture, very minimalistic, Via della Chiusa ang. Via Crocefisso)

- More shopping:
- Borsalino (Hats, Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II 92)
- Piumelli (Gloves, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)
- Francesco Maglia (Bespoke Umbrellas – you’ll need an appointment first, Via Ripamonti 194)

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Thank you to all (esp. Arrhok) for your help.

I'll be heading off to Milan and Paris this week.

From what I've read, I will be too early for the summer sale season. Does this mean I'm doomed to pay high prices? There will be nothing at attractive prices?

Thanks!

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More tips on Paris shopping? I'm going there by the end of July, but like to make up a list of places worth vsisting in good time before I go there.

E TF

Reaction score
If you interested in cooking E Dehillerin near chatelet les halles is a fantastic shop to visit.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
For Paris: Avenue L'Opera for shoes - Finsbury (French Brand of well designed shoes. Made is Spain or Portugal using French Box Calf leathers)

Place Vendome - ABP for custom leather work. Had an issue to which one of the staff turned around expressly to my great satisfaction. They use the finest skins for all skin types. JM Weston is also near here.

Lafayette - local casual brands galore. The inhouse brand is great for casual tshirts. Excellent pulled cotton quality.

Just wrapped up my last day in Europe. Amsterdam has been surprisingly the most interesting place in terms of variety and price!

kristianml

Reaction score
Great thread! Mind if I hijack it? Weeeell anyways..

My girlfriend bought me a trip to Paris this autumn. As a student, mid-semester, already saving up for a NY spending spree next summer, my budget won't exactly be vast.. Not looking for shirts, shoes, suits, sports coats etc., but would really like to check out ties and other accessories. Perhaps even some outerwear. Vintage shops, perhaps?

Anything's appreciated!

AMG1

Reaction score
10 corso como in Milan definitely, if you can hit Florence as well.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iif anyone is headed to Milan in the near future, I'd love to repay you to acquire this tie for me, from Al Bazar

Old thread resurrected

Zeppelin

Reaction score
I'll be for a one week business trip in Paris starting tomorrow. Any updated recommendations? I'm specifically searching for shirts, maybe a blue blazer and a trenchcoat. From what I've picked up here I definitely want to pay Arthur et Fox a visit. Could somebody indicate the price range of it (shirts for example)? Apart from that I plan to visit Pernac for shirts.

Thanks in advance!

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Quick report after my trip:

Unfortunately we've had a tight schedule, lots of work and some social evenings, so I've only had time on my last day to even think about shopping. With roughly 1.5 hrs time left before I had to catch the taxi, I decided to just go for Arthur et Fox, and it turned out to be a good decision:

I've been to their store on blvd St. Germain (I've passed lots of different and promising stores on my way). Turned out that the personnel was super friendly and spoke English very well. I ended up buying a shirt and a nice blue jacket/blazer.

Shirts: Beautiful fabrics, choice between cutaway collars (not as extreme as the RL Keaton, but wide open still) and more pointy ones. Italien cuffs or French cuffs. Lots of different colors and patterns. Quality seems very good (density of stitches), MOP buttons, label claims Made in Italy. Price point is 95 Euro, less than I would have expected.

Suits, Jackets: Quite a huge variety, even a nice selection in my non-regular size (52L). All models that I've tried were rather slim and not roomy, but not extreme. Again lovely fabrics. Shop assistant told me they source from Loro Piana and Zegna, among others. I haven't checked the construction of the suits, but with my blazer I can feel the non-fused extra layer which ends roughly at the height of the buttons. Can't tell if that means half-canvassed or full-canvassed but with a light construction? Drape is definitely fine, natural lapel roll. Little to no shoulder padding, very light and soft. Made in Italy again. Price is around 700e for the jackets and 1000e for suits.

Conclusion: I definitely have to come back to Paris. Beautiful city and promising shopping facilities.

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your money will be far, far better spent holding off until you can visit Italy. In my opinion, everything in Paris was the same fashion brands (except for uber makers like Charvet, Corthay, etc., of course) you can find in any major city, and usually expensive. Just not worth your time and money to shop there. I bought absolutely nothing on my visit, saw nothing at all worth purchasing (I couldn't afford a Cifonelli bespoke suit or Corthay custom shoes!)

Contrast with Italy, with ties at AD56 (excellent ties at reasonable prices and a marked down section) or Al Bazar in Milan, or any number of Italian brands (like g. Abo Napoli or Boggi, among so many others) in Florence most of us have never heard about....many options at many different price points and you'll likely get an amazing fit on any clothes you purchase. Those guys just do fit right!

Great thread! Mind if I hijack it? Weeeell anyways..

My girlfriend bought me a trip to Paris this autumn. As a student, mid-semester, already saving up for a NY spending spree next summer, my budget won't exactly be vast.. Not looking for shirts, shoes, suits, sports coats etc., but would really like to check out ties and other accessories. Perhaps even some outerwear. Vintage shops, perhaps? 

Anything's appreciated! 

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Paris next week and I was planning on visiting the Carmina and Septime Largeur in search of a nice pair of shoes -- is there anywhere else in Paris, in that price range, that I should check out while I'm there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads